• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Resurgence of the Virus, and Lockdowns, Threatens Economic Recovery

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Hopes for a rebound are endangered by prolonged closures of schools, renewed state restrictions on business and fears of a difficult autumn and winter.

9d700cc54df948c25319140d109a923b.jpg

The front doors of Public School 23 in the Bronx.

7/15/20
WASHINGTON — The United States economy is headed for a tumultuous autumn, with the threat of closed schools, renewed government lockdowns, empty stadiums and an uncertain amount of federal support for businesses and unemployed workers all clouding hopes for a rapid rebound from recession. For months, the prevailing wisdom among investors, Trump administration officials and many economic forecasters was that after plunging into recession this spring, the country’s recovery would accelerate in late summer and take off in the fall as the virus receded, restrictions on commerce loosened, and consumers reverted to more normal spending patterns. But failure to suppress a resurgence of confirmed infections is threatening to choke the recovery and push the country back into a recessionary spiral — one that could inflict long-term damage on workers and businesses large and small, unless Congress reconsiders the scale of federal aid that may be required in the months to come. The nation’s biggest banks also warned this week that they are setting aside billions of dollars to cover anticipated losses as customers fail to pay their mortgages and other loans in the months to come. Companies that used small-business loans to retain or rehire workers are now beginning to lay off employees as those funds run out while business activity remains depressed.

Expanded benefits for unemployed workers, which research shows have been propping up consumer spending throughout the spring and early summer, are scheduled to expire at the end of July, while more than 18 million Americans continue to claim unemployment. Many states are already renewing lockdowns, including California, where officials have ordered indoor bars, restaurants, gyms and other establishments to close. College sports conferences are beginning to cancel fall sports. Most economists abandoned hope for a “V-shaped” recovery long ago. Now they are warning of an outright reversal, with mounting job losses and business failures. And this time, much of the damage is likely to be permanent. Some of the nation’s largest school districts, including Los Angeles and San Diego, have announced that they will not immediately return to in-person classroom instruction when the new school year begins. Driving all the damage is the resurgence of the virus. The federal government is nowhere close to the testing and tracing capacity that some economists have long warned are needed to restore consumer confidence until a vaccine is found. The White House and lawmakers at every level, on school boards and in Congress, have not coalesced around a unified approach to getting as many Americans as possible back to work safely by the fall.

We are where we are today because.....

The Trump administration did not take the novel coronavirus seriously in January, February, and March.
The Trump administration closed the US to flights from Asia/Europe far too late.
Donald Trump dumped the responsibility for fighting COVID to 50 different state governors.
Donald Trump was never "wartime president" serious about providing ample testing, contract tracing, and the manufacture of sufficient PPE.
To enhance his reelection odds, Donald Trump pressed red state governors to reopen their states far too quickly, before they even met the cupcake White House guidelines.
The Trump administration set bad public examples regarding wearing face masks, social distancing, etc.
There has never been a national plan to battle COVID. Donald Trump - "I take no responsibility at all."
The Trump administration has no viable plan on how to safely reopen schools to students, teachers, and staff.
It seems Generation Z doesn't really care much about the health of their parents and grandparents.

What we have now are 50 states doing 50 different things. Some states are zigging while others are zagging. No national leadership. The military calls such a situation FUBAR.

This **** will be going on until Biden is sworn in, and in fact is likely to get a lot worse.

This **** will be going on until Biden is sworn in...

And then suddenly...everything will get better. The virus will go away. The economy will miraculously come back.

:roll:

(Or so the media and their talking potato heads will make the useless idiots believe.)

And then suddenly...everything will get better. The virus will go away. The economy will miraculously come back.

(Or so the media and their talking potato heads will make the useless idiots believe.)

Gee, that looks suspiciously like something I didn’t say.

It seems likely that if the resources and power of the federal government are brought to bear in dealing with stopping the virus as opposed to spreading it, things will get better. That won't happen until Trump is removed from office and replaced by Biden.

It seems likely that if the resources and power of the federal government are brought to bear in dealing with stopping the virus as opposed to spreading it, things will get better. That won't happen until Trump is removed from office and replaced by Biden.

Biden doesn't have the power to do anything that Trump hasn't already done.

Biden isn't a king.

Hopes for a rebound are endangered by prolonged closures of schools, renewed state restrictions on business and fears of a difficult autumn and winter.

9d700cc54df948c25319140d109a923b.jpg

The front doors of Public School 23 in the Bronx.

We are where we are today because.....

The Trump administration did not take the novel coronavirus seriously in January, February, and March.
The Trump administration closed the US to flights from Asia/Europe far too late.
Donald Trump dumped the responsibility for fighting COVID to 50 different state governors.
Donald Trump was never "wartime president" serious about providing ample testing, contract tracing, and the manufacture of sufficient PPE.
To enhance his reelection odds, Donald Trump pressed red state governors to reopen their states far too quickly, before they even met the cupcake White House guidelines.
The Trump administration set bad public examples regarding wearing face masks, social distancing, etc.
There has never been a national plan to battle COVID. Donald Trump - "I take no responsibility at all."
The Trump administration has no viable plan on how to safely reopen schools to students, teachers, and staff.
It seems Generation Z doesn't really care much about the health of their parents and grandparents.

What we have now are 50 states doing 50 different things. Some states are zigging while others are zagging. No national leadership. The military calls such a situation FUBAR.

Allow me to suggest you add to your first line "And since then, April, May, June and July going forward."

Biden doesn't have the power to do anything that Trump hasn't already done.

Biden isn't a king.

Being able to lead is pretty powerful but it does take actual work....

Being able to lead is pretty powerful but it does take actual work....

LOL!!

Biden can't even campaign. You expect him to work?

Bogus polls...from the media

Have you actually seen him campaign? LOL!!

He gets in front of five reporters, gives a speech, mangles it...and the reporters do nothing but repeat his sound bites.

Seriously...if he ever got in front of a hundred people, 95 of them would be wondering what the **** he's talking about.

If Biden didn't have the DNC propaganda arm, nobody would even know that he's running for President.

Bogus polls...from the media

Have you actually seen him campaign? LOL!!

He gets in front of five reporters, gives a speech, mangles it...and the reporters do nothing but repeat his sound bites.

Seriously...if he ever got in front of a hundred people, 95 of them would be wondering what the **** he's talking about.

If Biden didn't have the DNC propaganda arm, nobody would even know that he's running for President.

So Trump is leading in the polls? Which one?

So Trump is leading in the polls? Which one?

???

Who said Trump is leading in the polls?

Surely you don't think I...a person who rarely sees a poll that I cannot clearly establish, with the poll's actual data, that is not bogus...would say that Trump is leading in the polls...besides the fact that I haven't ever said such a thing.

Why are you bothering me with dumbass rhetoric? Are you afraid to defend Biden's idiotic non-campaign methods?

???

Who said Trump is leading in the polls?

Surely you don't think I...a person who rarely sees a poll that I cannot clearly establish, with the poll's actual data, that is not bogus...would say that Trump is leading in the polls...besides the fact that I haven't ever said such a thing.

Why are you bothering me with dumbass rhetoric? Are you afraid to defend Biden's idiotic non-campaign methods?

If things are going so well with Trumps campaign, why is Parscale out?

"One meeeelion tickets."

Six thousand people. Not sixty thousand. Not six hundred thousand.

Who said things are going well with Trump's campaign...or not going well with Trump's campaign? I didn't.

1. Parscale isn't "out".

2. Parscale moving to a different job doesn't mean things are not going well with Trump's campaign.

3. in any case, I don't know why Parscale moved out of the Campaign Manager job. (though, I could think of a number of reasonable reasons off the top of my head) I guess you'll have to ask Trump or Parscale.

Seriously...stop bothering me with dumbass rhetoric.

Back
Top Bottom