• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A report card on the Biden administration

Day 2 is a little early to be writing a report card.

You are not paying attention. This is already exciting, balancing what Biden wants to do, what he is doing, combined with Trump's second Senate impeachment trial. You can read all about it on this thread.

"Report card" is a metaphor. Actually, the thread will be a humble record of the Biden administration, not a report card.

You are not paying attention. This is already exciting, balancing what Biden wants to do, what he is doing, combined with Trump's second Senate impeachment trial. You can read all about it on this thread.

"Report card" is a metaphor. Actually, the thread will be a humble record of the Biden administration, not a report card.

2 days is not very much time to compile a record of the Biden administration.

Be patient.

I feel like that is the point I'm making. No one, on either side, has had enough time to make a proper assessment. I see those on the right running around with their hair on fire as if the world is literally ending right now. I see people on the left dropping to their needs in tearful worship.

Just seeing a president speak in complete sentences again is refreshing. However, seeing a press secretary actually answering questions rather than gaslight and lie is even better.

Spell it out. So, you think at least 17 Republicans will vote to convict a Republican.

Based on what analysts are saying, that is very unlikely.
They will mark themselves for future elections. IMO, the djt political brand will be toxic by 2022 (20 R seats are up).

I did not say that.

I said, "We heard the first professional press briefing in four years."

Next time use what I say, not what you wish I had said.
Good luck with that.

It is obviously too soon for finals, but the preliminaries have been pretty impressive. Three days of actual information coming from the White House, affirmative actions and transparency.

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.
Its day two and you are preparing a report card and quoting approval polls?? Damn but thats desperate. It seems the Cult of Biden is beginning to form.

It is obviously too soon for finals, but the preliminaries have been pretty impressive. Three days of actual information coming from the White House, affirmative actions and transparency.
Lol. You are easily impressed.

Biden hit the ground running.

The Times reports, "In 17 executive orders, memorandums and proclamations signed hours after his inauguration, President Biden moved swiftly on Wednesday to dismantle Trump administration policies his aides said have caused the “greatest damage” to the nation.

"Biden’s first actions as president are sharply aimed at sweeping aside former President Donald J. Trump’s pandemic response, reversing his environmental agenda, tearing down his anti-immigration policies, bolstering the teetering economic recovery and restoring federal efforts to promote diversity.

For more on this see: Biden’s 17 Executive Orders and Other Directives in Detail

Listening today, I got the distinct impression there was no time for a weeks long Senate impeachment trial that is doomed to fail. Why in the world would anyone want to invite Trump back to effectively interfere with an overburdened Biden government? Let the courts deal with Trump, not politicians with their own agenda, nearly half of whom are loyal to Trump.

We heard the first professional press briefing in four years. We can all still recall Sean Spicer calling in the White House press corps for his first press briefing, yelling to reporters that Trump had attracted “the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration.”

Trump's press briefings went down from there. Most of the time there were none.

Pardon me, we must all think positive thoughts. Trump with his antagonism toward the press has been replaced by a President who will be open with the press. We are likely to see the return of Presidential solo press conferences. There hasn't been one in three years.
This President isn't open with the press, he doesn't do interviews, doesn't answer questions, His press secretary answered less quesstions than she answered. You are a partisan kool aid kid.
He lost upwards of a million jobs when he kiled the XL pipeline, took us out of our position of being energy independent, started a problem with Canada costing them jobs. The man is a moron being let around by the nose by people who are calling the shots.

I did not say that.

I said, "We heard the first professional press briefing in four years."

Next time use what I say, not what you wish I had said.
I wish you were not posting at all but I suppose I have no choice.

He's off to a slow start. I hope things pick up. So far all Biden has done is a few symbolic acts toward Climate Change, push Pelosi's pork bill disguised as COVID relief, and announce plans to push Trump's vaccine as fast as possible. Not an auspicious beginning.

Biden agreed with McConnell. It would seem the Republican Senate minority leader is working more with Biden and Schumer than is Pelosi. Pelosi is just getting in the way, insisting on a quick transfer of the articles, completely disregarding Biden's agenda while knowing the trial will end in failure.

Impeaching Trump was an incredibly dumb idea. In the first place, the impeachment trial in the Senate is doomed to fail and a lot of valuable time will be wasted. In the second place there are these well-placed thoughts from Maeve Reston. Pleased take the time to read carefully.

President Joe Biden spent his first week in office trying to convince the nation to see themselves not as Democrats or Republicans, but as Americans united in defeating the pandemic. Then on Friday night, the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump got a formal date on the calendar, complicating every bipartisan goal on the new President's agenda.

After four exhausting years of Trump that left this country deeply divided and democracy hanging by a thread, the nation breathed easier when Trump decamped Wednesday to Mar-a-Lago, his slashing vitriol silenced by a permanent suspension on Twitter. Next month's trial will bring the outcast former President back to center stage, giving him yet another chance to claim that he is a victim in a never-ending partisan witch hunt and handing him a platform to rally his supporters at a time when he might have otherwise had none.

Biden is caught in an almost impossible vise as the nation reengages in the most polarizing kind of proceeding that exists in Washington.
He has insisted that Trump must be held accountable for the attempted insurrection at the Capitol on January 6, but he has been notably cool to the prospect of impeachment as he tries to unravel Trump's legacy with more than two dozen executive orders in his first three days in office, while simultaneously working the phones to build broader legislative consensus.

The looming trial -- which has the potential to inflame partisan divisions just as quickly as Biden was trying to squelch them -- offers no visible upside to a President who was elected on his promise to bring the warring parties of Washington together and forge compromise in a Capitol that has been defined by strife.

This is the part that is surreal.

The hopes that Biden could bring a different tone to Washington -- which were so bright on Inauguration Day -- were complicated by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's announcement that the House would deliver the impeachment article charging Trump with "incitement of insurrection" to the Senate on Monday evening. Senators will be sworn in for the trial the next day, according to the calendar outlined by Schumer, with trial arguments slated to start on February 9.

I don't get it. Someone explain to me why Democrats are sabotaging a Democratic President. I have to ask because Pelosi and Schumer are silent on these aspects of the ill-advised impeachment.

Why didn't they let the courts decide Trump's fate instead of Senate Republicans loyal to Trump? Pelosi and Schumer do not want to answer that question, nor do Democratic sympathizers on this forum.

I give Biden an F.He is a complete failure so far.
I must commiserate. Our tears have been falling since the election and especially after our failed coup attempt.

Remember, stand down and stand by. Now a song to succor your sorrow:

President Joe R. Biden, how refreshing that sounds. What a refreshing day. Our divisive, erratic, foolish, conspiratorial, narcissistic President is gone, replaced by a President who deeply wants to unite us. Barring ill-advised preconceived notions about President Biden, his task should be easy. We are all Americans.

That said, although I voted for Biden for obvious reasons, not unlike 81 million Americans who did the same, I am a conservative Independent. That's official. In CA, we have to declare our political posture. Until I was driven out by Trump, for over a quarter of a century I was a declared Republican. I voted for Biden, but I have some reservations concerning him, mostly having to do with taxation and spending.

I said all that because I want to be honest with readers. I want them to know where I am coming from.

Whether or not Biden will be a good President is obviously an open question, but I think he is a good man. He will do his best to unite us and adopt policies that benefit all Americans, while removing those policies that do us harm. He wants the United States to rejoin the community of nations, and the days of isolation and making unitary decisions that involve other nations, in particular our traditional allies, are over.

The European Union's top politician, Ursula von der Leyen, said it best. "After four long years, Europe has a friend in the White House."

For the first time in four years, there is optimism in America created by a popular President. 59% of Americans approve of Biden.

On day one, Trump's approval rating was 40%, and, although it went lower than that, it never got much higher. Thus the reason for American optimism.
Explained clearly in a pic

disasternormality1.jpg

I was really hoping some Democratic leaning forum members would respond to the post #40.

I guess they don't know what is going on either.

I was really hoping some Democratic leaning forum members would respond to the post #40.

I guess they don't know what is going on either.
Sorry Sandy, but post #40 didn't do anything to me regarding generating interest,

As far as the #2 impeachment, I don't think it is dumb at all. First of all there is a chance that they will impeach Trump given that a lot of Republicans (most importantly McConnell) are in favor of it happening. Nonetheless, this is all about the Democrats standing up for what is right. Whether they are successful or not does not matter as it is not about winning but about making a statement. Standing up for principles can often be a losing proposition but showing committment to principles is always important.

When I marry, take up someone as a friend, or put my trust in an institution and/or person, I want to know unequivocally where they stand. That is more important than the results. I want to trust who I am going to be with.

He's off to a slow start. I hope things pick up. So far all Biden has done is a few symbolic acts toward Climate Change, push Pelosi's pork bill disguised as COVID relief, and announce plans to push Trump's vaccine as fast as possible. Not an auspicious beginning.

He's not getting help from Pelosi and Schumer. All they are giving him is grief. See post #40.

Already judging Biden after only 3 days on the job? Wow, you must have been expecting Superman.

Biden is a good man but won't and can't unite the country. So far he hasn't mentioned even one thing he would do to unite the country. It's all words and rhetoric, not even one example of how he will unite anyone but the left. He will adopt leftist policies and expect the right to unite with his leftist policies. Foreign leaders have used the US as their personal piggy bank for many years. They expect us to pay for their defense so that they don't have to spend much on defense and can use the saved money for more social programs for their own countries. They take advantage of the US in every way they can. Of course they didn't like Trump because Trump wouldn't put up with it. The optimism in America is leftist optimism. Biden is not a popular president. Not only did 73 million people vote against him, but many others who don't vote are not on his side either. By your own poll, 41% of Americans do NOT approve of Biden, that totals 135 million people who do not approve of him.

lot of Republicans (most importantly McConnell) are in favor of it happening.

Not a lot. The Senate will not convict. That is virtually certainty.

Whether they are successful or not does not matter as it is not about winning but about making a statement. Standing up for principles can often be a losing proposition but showing committment to principles is always important.

That pie-in-the-sky approach to Washington politics and keeping Trump in the news for the sake of principle can cause other principles to shoved aside. The reality is, Biden needs the help of Republicans to achive his principles; principles such as the war on Covid-19 and economic stimulus to the millions of Americans who are unemployed and close to losing their homes. Biden is not likely to get that help when members of his party want to convict a Republican.

Are you willing to give up those principles for the principle of trying Trump and failing?

How about this principle? The sanctity of the Office of the President.

Trump incited an insurgency against our government. That is at a minimum sedition in every court in the land. But he is being tried not in a court. He is being tried in the Senate, half of whom are Republicans. So, Trump is vindicated.

Meaning a President can do anything as long as he is properly represented in the Senate! That has already happened.

Americans lose twice. They don't get the help and they need, and the Senate spawned an all powerful President. Wonderful.

All for the sake of principle, because that is all it is.

Biden is a good man but won't and can't unite the country.

Give the guy a chance. He's only been in office for four days. First, he has to undo all the harm Trump caused and rejoin the community of nations.

Biden is not a popular president.

From a Trump fan, that comment was surely a joke. Biden's approval rating is 59%. Trump never got out of the 40's and most of the time he was in the low 40's. https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/cnn-poll-biden-favorability/index.html

Already judging Biden after only 3 days on the job? Wow, you must have been expecting Superman.
Biden has had since Nov election to do something.He has failed.Derelict at his duty.

Back
Top Bottom