• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A question about firearms: cost and silencers (Not a debate about rights, etc)

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So, a friend from another forum is working out details for a book in progress. One of her characters is concerned with appearances - flies a Lear Jet, drives an Escalade, and for a certain scene he totes a gun.

What classy/expensive gun would someone use which would take a silencer? (It has to be able to take a silencer).

My first question would be if they were concerned with appearances then why buy a Lear when you can get a Gulfstream?

If the purpose of the gun is nothing more than appearance then you're talking about a Desert Eagle in .50AE with a can the size of grandpa's thermos.

Something custom like a Kimber for the expensive pistol, and he doesn't have to actually buy a suppressor (along with the cost and waiting period caused by the paperwork), there are fake ones available for 30 or 40 bucks. It's just a machined metal tube that threads on to the barrel and looks like a suppressor but actually has no baffles in it. They are often used for competition level shooting and add enough weight out front to balance the pistol for faster follow up shots. Pistols like the Walther P22 (which is a wonderful pistol, my particular favorite range pistol) benefits considerably from the added front weight.

So, a friend from another forum is working out details for a book in progress. One of her characters is concerned with appearances - flies a Lear Jet, drives an Escalade, and for a certain scene he totes a gun.

What classy/expensive gun would someone use which would take a silencer? (It has to be able to take a silencer).

Does the gun need to be effective? Or is it just for show.

Because if it's just for show, I agree with Luther, a Desert Eagle is perfect.

If you want it to actually be an effective weapon, I'd suggest a high-end 1911. Something like a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or Nighthawk. You don't see a lot of suppressed 1911s, but it can certainly be done. And if the character is rich enough to own a learjet, he could certainly afford some custom gunsmithing to add a suppressor to a gun that can't normally take one.

Back
Top Bottom