• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A nice idea for 2024, if there's a good Republican to do it

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Over a century ago, Teddy Roosevelt kept his pledge to leave the presidency after two terms. His hand-picked successor, Taft, won the next election.

But Roosevelt had a falling out with Taft, and decided he should not continue in office. So, he ran the following election, against Taft and Democrat Woodrow Wilson, splitting the Republican vote, giving Democrats their first win in 16 years.

A lot of Republicans don't like the radicalization of the party, but don't want to vote for Democrats. I disagree with them, but it's the case.

What we could use is a good Republican who, like Roosevelt, decides that that party is not fit to govern currently, especially if trump is nominated, and runs a third party candidacy to split the Republican vote, giving disaffected Republicans someone to vote for, and prevent a Republican win. It would be patriotic and help the country.

A couple leading people who fit this are Mitt Romney or Mike Pence.

Over a century ago, Teddy Roosevelt kept his pledge to leave the presidency after two terms. His hand-picked successor, Taft, won the next election.

But Roosevelt had a falling out with Taft, and decided he should not continue in office. So, he ran the following election, against Taft and Democrat Woodrow Wilson, splitting the Republican vote, giving Democrats their first win in 16 years.

A lot of Republicans don't like the radicalization of the party, but don't want to vote for Democrats. I disagree with them, but it's the case.

What we could use is a good Republican who, like Roosevelt, decides that that party is not fit to govern currently, especially if trump is nominated, and runs a third party candidacy to split the Republican vote, giving disaffected Republicans someone to vote for, and prevent a Republican win. It would be patriotic and help the country.

Yeah, I ain't holdin' my breath.

Besides the fact that the Republican rank and file have very low opinions of Romney and Pence right now...making the split unlikely to happen...if they succeeded, they would be ensuring the Globalists keep control and the American people keep suffering.

Doesn't sound very "patriotic" to me.

Besides the fact that the Republican rank and file have very low opinions of Romney and Pence right now...making the split unlikely to happen...if they succeeded, they would be ensuring the Globalists keep control and the American people keep suffering.

Doesn't sound very "patriotic" to me.
That's what keepin' things legal will do. Law and Order Party my...

I can think of a number of popular Republican citizens who could split the vote.

Matthew McConaughey could do a Ross Perot.

Pence wouldn't get that many votes. Romney maybe, but certainly not Pence.

I really, really want to see DeSantis and Trump go after each other though.

Ben Sasse would be a decent candidate. He has a conservative voting record and is not a Trump supporter.

Interesting - but I still don't think Trump will run in 2024.

Still, between Pence and Romney, only Willard could raise the money to mount a successful campaign. Even if Trump doesn't run, the Mitt-ster might still throw his sombrero in the ring. His ambitions run deep ... although at 77 years of age, the dark horse Mormon might be too long in the tooth.

Republicans like Mike Pence or Mitt Romney have such a tiny sliver of support in the republican party today that it would not even make a dent in the primaries.

So you think that the Republicans should run a former 2 term president to split the gop vote to put a racist democrat in the White House

well it also depends on who the dem nominee is and I don't think Mitt or Pence are leading in anything in reality
I know lots of normal republicans and NONE of them would vote for pence, they would vote third party or not vote
Mitt I have trouble believing also BUT he never comes up in conversation so I don't know what they think of him

Pence wouldn't get that many votes. Romney maybe, but certainly not Pence.

I really, really want to see DeSantis and Trump go after each other though.
That would be worth watching for sure, but I don't think trump will run, he just wants to grift a few more bucks before he makes that announcement.

That would be worth watching for sure, but I don't think trump will run, he just wants to grift a few more bucks before he makes that announcement.
He can grift even more if he runs. Then people will be spending money at his crappy properties. He can have his tent revivals (rallies) and shaft venues when the bills come. He can bow out sometime during the race, to focus on his "family business".

So you think that the Republicans should run a former 2 term president to split the gop vote to put a racist democrat in the White House
It didn’t make much sense to me either but yes that is the just of the OP. That Is one reason their posts are so painfully ignorant but entertaining

To the few in this thread that believe that TR had two terms, technically no he didn't.

He didn't have two FULL terms

TR started out as McKinley's VP. In the first year of his presidency, McKinley was assassinated. TR became president.

TR made the worst decision of is political career when he announced that he believed that the first 3 years was his first term as president and he would only run for reelection once.

Taft was his VP and TR campaigned for him. Taft won. Then Taft spent his 4 years undoing what TR had done in the previous 7 years.

TR was rightfully ticked off at what Taft was doing so he ran for president for the second time in 1912 on the Bull Moose or Progressive Party.

Taft and TR split the republican vote so Wilson won.

If I had been alive at the time and in a state that allowed women to vote, I would have voted for TR.

I believe that TR was our last good republican president. Eisenhower was our last decent one.

You mean, like Bernie Sanders did in 2016...handing the POTUS to Trump by splitting the democratic side of the aisle in the general?

Yeah....you'd know all about that being a big Bernie person.

You mean, like Bernie Sanders did in 2016...handing the POTUS to Trump by splitting the democratic side of the aisle in the general?

Yeah....you'd know all about that being a big Bernie person.
?? Assumes facts not in evidence. This doesn't even qualify as feeble revisionist history. He did no such thing. Not only did Bernie drop out, he actually told his staunch supporters that they must vote for Clinton to keep Trump from the White House! It's all a matter of public record.

?? Assumes facts not in evidence. This doesn't even qualify as feeble revisionist history. He did no such thing. Not only did Bernie drop out, he actually told his staunch supporters that they must vote for Clinton to keep Trump from the White House! It's all a matter of public record.

Cheney
Not the dick

SO WHAT? When did Bernie become responsible for the actions of his supporters? You're intent on blaming him for something he had absolutely nothing to do with, and no power whatsoever to change.

When Bernie dropped out, he threw all of his support behind Hillary Clinton's candidacy, and made that perfectly clear in his public pronouncements. If you want to blame Bernie's voting bloc, you could make the very same argument of anyone who voted for any candidate that wasn't Trump or Clinton. It's like blaming Ralph Nader for Bush the Lesser winning over Al Gore. It's an intellectually dishonest position to take once all the facts are known.

Republicans like Mike Pence or Mitt Romney have such a tiny sliver of support in the republican party today that it would not even make a dent in the primaries.
Primaries have nothing to do with it, I said running third party in the general. Even pulling away 10% would be huge to help Democrats win. The last two elections were decided by under 100,000 votes.

When Bernie dropped out, he threw all of his support behind Hillary Clinton's candidacy, and made that perfectly clear in his public pronouncements. If you want to blame Bernie's voting bloc, you could make the very same argument of anyone who voted for any candidate that wasn't Trump or Clinton. It's like blaming Ralph Nader for Bush the Lesser winning over Al Gore. It's an intellectually dishonest position to take once all the facts are known.

Bernie did more to help Hillary win than anyone else. There has never been a competitor for the nomination who did more to help the nominee than Bernie did. But the ungrateful people who hate progressives and gave the country trump attack him.

Back
Top Bottom