• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Newly Revealed Memo Details the Scope of Robert Mueller's Investigative Mandate

But we know Russia did something, the question is whether or not they had help from Trump and/or members of their campaign.
According to the indictment, russia ran a very small disinformation campaign, spending 3000$ dollars in facebook ads, of which were not only completely legal, they could only be indicted for fake passports, postage, and falsification of government forms. While their operation was micro-level, probably to test the waters for future campaigns.

Putin apparently rolled a 20 on political parties, because now the democrats are effectively using billions in constant media coverage beating this narrative into everyone's heads, dividing everyone and doing his work for him. Russia didn't vote for trump, I did.

But I reread (skimmed really, but read most of it) the Manafort filing and they aren't making the claim that Rosenstein did something only Sessions can do. I just didn't see it, and it makes no sense really because that's a matter ultimately between Sessions and Rosenstein, who has authority over what, and Manafort has no dog in that hunt, so to speak. The regulations contemplate a recused AG, and in that case the acting AG takes over. Seems like from Manafort's position, which person makes the decision is irrelevant.

As I understand it, Sessions has recused himself on the the Russian collusion, on that part only Rosenstein is acting AG (a horrendously bad mistake by Sessions). Sessions is in control on all else. Therefore, he is the one that must approve any expansion of Mueller's authority, Rosenstein can't do it on his own. If Sessions does nothing, then Mueller doesn't have the authority. That's the way I think it works.

Now, if Sessions steps down, the new AG would be in full control of everything, and there would no longer be any recusal in effect.

As I understand it, Sessions has recused himself on the the Russian collusion, on that part only Rosenstein is acting AG (a horrendously bad mistake by Sessions). Sessions is in control on all else. Therefore, he is the one that must approve any expansion of Mueller's authority, Rosenstein can't do it on his own. If Sessions does nothing, then Mueller doesn't have the authority. That's the way I think it works.

Now, if Sessions steps down, the new AG would be in full control of everything, and there would no longer be any recusal in effect.

I just don't think that's correct, and I'm nearly positive (skimmed Manafort's filing) that his lawyers just aren't arguing that point at all. They appear to concede Rosenstain can and has stepped into Sessions' shoes and don't object to that. They are objecting to the idea either could define the scope as broadly as they did.

Oh, come, come now. It's not a question of incompetency, he knows exactly what he's doing. Manafort is arguing that it was beyond Mueller's scope of authority. And if it wasn't, why did Rosenstein expand his authority after the fact? And does Rosenstein even have that authority, as that is reserved for the AG, not his assistant.

Oh, and some of them are not so "distinguished", including Mueller. As in the anthrax case.

Manafort might pray for anthrax before it's all over. Just sayin'.

I just don't think that's correct, and I'm nearly positive (skimmed Manafort's filing) that his lawyers just aren't arguing that point at all. They appear to concede Rosenstain can and has stepped into Sessions' shoes and don't object to that. They are objecting to the idea either could define the scope as broadly as they did.

Even if his lawyers aren't arguing it, there is still a limit to the recusal. And certainly a new AG would not be recused from anything.

Rosenstein is acting AG for matters involving Russian collusion only, per Sessions recusal. Sessions only recused himself on matters involving Russian collusion, not on all things related to the SC. Therefore, Rosenstein does not have the authority to act on anything beyond Russian collusion, such as Manafort's taxes, alleged money laundering, acting as a foreign agent, etc... All that falls on the AG, not the Deputy AG. In short, Rosenstein only has the legal authority to appoint a SC for matters involving Russian collusion, anything more is beyond his authority, since he nor Mueller are the AG, who is appointed in accordance with the Constitution.

Yes, worried that we have a rogue SC that is acting beyond his authority, which is damaging to our country. I see you are too.

Pity there's not a shred of credible evidence to back up that fantasy scenario.

You have every reason to worry that reality doesn't reflect your imagination.

Pity there's not a shred of credible evidence to back up that fantasy scenario.

You have every reason to worry that reality doesn't reflect your imagination.

Well, I see a pity on your end too. Ends justifies the means, you think?

Sadly, that depends on what news source you listen to.

Actually i don't go by the bias news sources. I look at the actual intelligence info that is coming from
people that have direct contact with the stuff such as intelligence committee members and others have
that have seen the information and are saying that there was no collusion from trump.

Even if his lawyers aren't arguing it, there is still a limit to the recusal. And certainly a new AG would not be recused from anything.

Rosenstein is acting AG for matters involving Russian collusion only, per Sessions recusal. Sessions only recused himself on matters involving Russian collusion, not on all things related to the SC. Therefore, Rosenstein does not have the authority to act on anything beyond Russian collusion, such as Manafort's taxes, alleged money laundering, acting as a foreign agent, etc... All that falls on the AG, not the Deputy AG. In short, Rosenstein only has the legal authority to appoint a SC for matters involving Russian collusion, anything more is beyond his authority, since he nor Mueller are the AG, who is appointed in accordance with the Constitution.

He has the authority to act UNLESS SESSIONS EXERTS HIS AUTHORITY.

What you're basically doing is giving a criminal defendant the right to challenge the division of power in the DoJ and if Sessions and Rosenstein make a mistake and Rosenstein signs off on something Sessions COULD HAVE signed off on, it gives a criminal defendant the opportunity to void that action.

He has the authority to act UNLESS SESSIONS EXERTS HIS AUTHORITY.

What you're basically doing is giving a criminal defendant the right to challenge the division of power in the DoJ and if Sessions and Rosenstein make a mistake and Rosenstein signs off on something Sessions COULD HAVE signed off on, it gives a criminal defendant the opportunity to void that action.

I guess that's something that needs to be looked at and decided. I don't think he has unlimited authority to go wherever he wants, unless they tell him no. I think it's the other way around, that he has to get permission to go further, and anything beyond Russia must come from Sessions.

It's OK that you're forced to turn tail and run from your fantasies.

Okay, so still boring. But I'm trying to hang in, hoping you will post something, anything of substance. But, those chances are thin. You seem to be one of those guys here that just snipe, really never posting anything thoughtful. Just taking potshots and moving on. With all due respect, of course.

I guess that's something that needs to be looked at and decided. I don't think he has unlimited authority to go wherever he wants, unless they tell him no. I think it's the other way around, that he has to get permission to go further, and anything beyond Russia must come from Sessions.

I just haven't read any legal analysis that indicates that to be the case as far as MANAFORT is concerned. We'll see I guess, but so far Manafort's team isn't arguing that.

Also, if you have time, you might skim Mueller's response. It's pages and pages about how these kinds of violations of DoJ regulations do NOT create rights for defendants. So here the AG and/or Acting AG have the authority to expand the investigation, or they don't. If either does, the decision isn't reviewable - i.e. which one made the decision isn't relevant to Manafort or the court.

Okay, so still boring. But I'm trying to hang in, hoping you will post something, anything of substance. But, those chances are thin. You seem to be one of those guys here that just snipe, really never posting anything thoughtful. Just taking potshots and moving on. With all due respect, of course.

Yawn. The post of yours that I replied to was completely devoid of substance; I merely pointed that out, and you've run from that ever since.

Good luck with your magical thinking.

Back
Top Bottom