• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'A Man Called Otto'

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I was completely surprised at how much I liked and was moved by this movie.

Of all the pretentious crap that the Academy gives awards for, here's a picture worthy of many different Oscars. I liked it better than even "Avatar" for sheer entertainment.

I saw the original Swedish film after reading the novel. It was very good.
I saw the new film, and enjoyed it....it was slightly updated and more American ...Tom Hanks was good, Mariana Trevino stole the show. Tom Hanks' real life son played the young Otto in the film.

I don't know the story but, after watching the trailer, it seems fairly predictable. I'm sure I'll watch it; I love Tom Hanks in everything.

So, that doesn't diminish its quality. And I don't speak Swedish or like captions.
My comment wasn't meant to diminish your review. It was just FYI.
I like Tom Hanks, he picks great material, and I'm more likely to see "Otto" than "Ove".

It's a remake of a Swedish film - "A Man Called Ove"
Hollywood doesn’t have many original ideas. haven’t for a while.

To the OP @grip , how does the Hanks movie compare to Avatar?

When I first saw the trailer for Avatar, I thought I was interested, but I never followed through…..

When I first saw the trailer for Avatar, I thought I was interested, but I never followed through…..
It'd be reasonable to view Avatar as the first of the 'woke' movies, at least from my view.

My wife and I read the book a couple years ago. We're interested in seeing the movie.

Great novel, great author! Not sure about the movie ......they rarely are as good as the book but Tom Hanks! It's gotta be great

Great novel, great author! Not sure about the movie ......they rarely are as good as the book but Tom Hanks! It's gotta be great
Are there ever movies made from a book that is as good? I doubt it. Unless the book sucked and the screen writer completely rewrote the story.

Are there ever movies made from a book that is as good? I doubt it. Unless the book sucked and the screen writer completely rewrote the story.
Lord of the Rings, Wizard of Oz, Forrest Gump, The Godfather......among others?

It's a remake of a Swedish film - "A Man Called Ove"

It's on one of the streaming services and I really liked it.

I'll wait til the Tom Hanks version is free/streaming but would like to see it.

It'd be reasonable to view Avatar as the first of the 'woke' movies, at least from my view.
Woke my ass. Its cowboys and indians but the indians win. Hollywood has made far more films where the native Americans loses or is the villain. Funny that you bring up "woke" bullshit. Seems some "fans" or whatever they are have a problem with this:

1674433166890.png

Apparently they think Pink Floyd suddenly became "woke". These people would be know as complete ****ing morons!

Lord of the Rings, Wizard of Oz, Forrest Gump, The Godfather......among others?

Disagree on the first two. Did not read the latter two.

I would say Dr Zivago, Soylent Green (Make Room! Make Room!), Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), The World According to Garp, and Empire of the Sun ofc the top of my head. Dune has been pretty impressive so far.

Woke my ass. Its cowboys and indians but the indians win.

A Man Called Horse. Totally ripped that movie off.

And Avatar is the opposite of “woke.” It is the typical colonialist Tarzan garbage.

A Man Called Horse. Totally ripped that movie off.

And Avatar is the opposite of “woke.” It is the typical colonialist Tarzan garbage.
Dances with Wolves was also similar.

I really enjoyed Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. The native Americans are known as the "human beings".

Dances with Wolves was also similar.

I really enjoyed Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. The native Americans are known as the "human beings".

I just reread the book last week. I love the movie but the book is incredible.

“Thank you for making me a Human Being.”

I was completely surprised at how much I liked and was moved by this movie.

Of all the pretentious crap that the Academy gives awards for, here's a picture worthy of many different Oscars. I liked it better than even "Avatar" for sheer entertainment.

My brother and I are going to see the movie here real soon.

I don't know the story but, after watching the trailer, it seems fairly predictable. I'm sure I'll watch it; I love Tom Hanks in everything.
The full movie has some plot twists at the end and is emotionally engaging.

Avatar 2 has some wonderful CGI scenery (too much) and a decent storyline but doesn't have the same level of acting.
I generally like blockbuster movies for sheer, attention-grabbing entertainment but 'Otto' was just more interesting.

Avatar 2 has some wonderful CGI scenery (too much) and a decent storyline but doesn't have the same level of acting.
I generally like blockbuster movies for sheer, attention-grabbing entertainment but 'Otto' was just more interesting.
They are two completely different genres. I wouldn't even compare them.

They are two completely different genres. I wouldn't even compare them.
I was only comparing them as movies in general, not genre types. Normally, I prefer a big-budget sci/fi over a small drama but as recent releases go, 'Otto' was more fun.

Back
Top Bottom