• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A Christian Revolution?

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
It is because of people who think like this.....that I fear Christianity gaining power in this country. It is because of people like this that I no longer accept the label of a follower of Christ. It is because of this mindset that more and more of the most capable people leave the Christian Churches behind.

These people will do more Damage to Christianity....than any horned Demon from the depths of hell could hope to do:

"Christians have an obligation, a mandate, a commission, a holy responsibility to reclaim the land for Jesus Christ -- to have dominion in civil structures, just as in every other aspect of life and godliness.
But it is dominion we are after. Not just a voice.
It is dominion we are after. Not just influence.
It is dominion we are after. Not just equal time.
It is dominion we are after.
World conquest. That's what Christ has commissioned us to accomplish."

In the Christian nationalist vision of America, non-believers would be free to worship as they choose, as long as they know their place. When Venkatachalapathi Samuldrala became the first Hindu priest to offer an invocation before Congress, the Family Research Council issued a furious statement that reveals much about the America they'd like to create:

"While it is true that the United States of America was founded on the sacred principle of religious freedom for all, that liberty was never intended to exalt other religions to the level that Christianity holds in our country's heritage...Our founders expected that Christianity -- and no other religion -- would receive support from the government as long as that support did not violate peoples' consciences and their right to worship. They would have found utterly incredible the idea that all religions, including paganism, be treated with equal deference."

http://www.talk2action.org/story/2006/5/11/151212/239

Any true follower of the teachings of the Christ should be incredibly offended by this.

Christ would smack these people in the face, ask them to turn the other cheek, and smack them again. Im sure Christ was ALL about dominion...

This isnt anything new, the sh** that gets carried out in his name... I'd like to see one of these people explain to me why me being a non-believer gives them Dominion over me...

Last edited:
Lachean said:
Christ would smack these people in the face, ask them to turn the other cheek, and smack them again. Im sure Christ was ALL about dominion...

This isnt anything new, the sh** that gets carried out in his name... I'd like to see one of these people explain to me why me being a non-believer gives them Dominion over me...

Your quote in red is by Thomas Paine, just in case you didn't know. He has a number of great ones, doesn't he?

Columbusite said:
Your quote in red is by Thomas Paine, just in case you didn't know. He has a number of great ones, doesn't he?

THANK YOU, I've been curious as to who I should have been giving credit to. Consider my sig and my AIM profile edited.

I became a citizen of this great country because the founding fathers established a country where we could live in a pluralistic society. This kind of thinking scares the crap out of me. I have nothing but respect for christianity since my husband is one, but it gives Christianity a bad taste in my mouth when I see such hor$hit.

bandaidwoman said:
I became a citizen of this great country because the founding fathers established a country where we could live in a pluralistic society. This kind of thinking scares the crap out of me. I have nothing but respect for christianity since my husband is one, but it gives Christianity a bad taste in my mouth when I see such hor$hit.

Please don't use words like "crap" and "hor$hit" to characterize other peoples' opinions.

But that is my opinion. I thought this was a free country? Don't get all PC, PR on me. If the above language is offensive then take it up with the moderators.

And yes it scars the "fecal matter" out of me because the language is no different than the radical Islamic movement's attempt for similar world dominion.

Last edited:
bandaidwoman said:
But that is my opinion. I thought this was a free country? Don't get all PC, PR on me. If the above language is offensive then take it up with the moderators.

Yes, but not nice words hurt peoples' feelings. It's much better to tell them how and why you disagree, perhaps over a cup of tea. Thank you, and have a nice day!

alphamale said:
Yes, but not nice words hurt peoples' feelings. It's much better to tell them how and why you disagree, perhaps over a cup of tea. Thank you, and have a nice day!

I'lll make sure I stick my little pinkie out when I drink my afternoon english tea Mr. Manners :mrgreen:

bandaidwoman said:
I'lll make sure I stick my little pinkie out when I drink my afternoon english tea Mr. Manners :mrgreen:

Now2, that's uncalled for - try to be nice.

alphamale said:
Now2, that's uncalled for - try to be nice.

Huh? Haven't you heard of sticking your pinkie finger out when you drink tea?

jamespol said:
Christians are Nazis.

Well, that is the largest exaggerations I've seen. Calling Christains Nazis is simply stupid. As probably more than half of Christains/Nazis would have conflicting ideology/religion. Since now probably most Christains are 'non-Aryans'. And therefore 'non-Aryan' Christains must think themselves subordinate to few 'Aryans'. Anyways I may not like Christianity, maybe you don't either(your statemant could be sarcasm, of a dry sort), but calling them that is not supported by any facts whatsoever.

jamespol said:
Christians are Nazis.

I would suggest you stop listening to Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps and the others who make Cnn every couple of months becuase of this or that. This has been a largely Christian country since its inception and people have always been able to speak there minds and worship as they please. People who believe there is in honest to god "revolution" going on are giving in to the same hyped up fear as christans who belive Christmas is getting sterelized

galenrox said:
You're damned right! Man, you seem like a person that I can agree with.

If only that were true. Here in Ohio our Republican candidate for governor is Ken Blackwell. This movement is no conspiracy, they're rather open about it.

In Blackwells own words from The Other Paper in Columbus back in January (in bold;

"Do you believe homosexuality is a sexual orientation? Or do you believe it's a psychological disorder that can and should be cured?

I think it's a choice that can be abandoned."

"Would you sign a law that would allow public schools to teach Biblical creationism, as defined by the book of Genesis, in science classrooms?

I would be inclined not to sign it with the information that I know now. It hasn't met that threshold as a science. Based on what I know now, I am a strong advocate of the academic study of the Bible, including Genesis, in primary and secondary schools—offered in literature and history, and offered as an elective.

Do think creationism could eventually meet that scientific threshold?

Oh yeah. Absolutely."

"If Roe v. Wade were to be overturned, would you sign a law that would outlaw abortions in the case of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother?

Yes.

Including the life of the mother?

Yes."

More...
http://www.uaprogressiveaction.com/archives/2006/03/ken_blackwell_s.html
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1147002913139070.xml&coll=2

jamespol said:
Christians are Nazis.

As much as I disagree with Christianity, this is just an idiotic comparison.

Making statements like this tells everyone that you don't have a clue as to what Nazism is.

galenrox said:
well, that's pretty clearly ****ed up, and that guy is unqualified to be governor.

But that's more of a product of the primary system than a product of all christians being insane. In the current party system the only people who show up, for the most part, are the party faithful, meaning for the republicans, the christian right pretty much gets to hand pick their candidates.

The amount of whacko "religious" people in government is not a reflection of the christian community at large. The people picking those guys are a SMALL percentage of the christian community.

Now the fault falls on the christian community in the sense that we tend to vote with the extremist over the secularist, namely because the extremist will effect our personal lives less.

Think about it, if I wasn't all caught up in the principles of these issues, why would I care if abortion's legal? I'm morally opposed to abortion in the first place, so that's not gonna effect me. Why should I care if gays are treated equally? I'm not gay, so that's not gonna effect me.

Not to mention that the secularist movement doesn't play very favorably in many christian circles, and I can see why. Essentially, we're not separating the arguments for secularism from the idea we have of the person arguing for secularism.
Now, for the most part, I do support secularism. I think in most arguments over secularist policies the debate can be summed up with "It's wrong, it violates the first ammendment." "It's a little stupid thing and I like it, stop being petty." "It's petty to want to uphold the first ammendment?" "You hate God."
That being said, in my head, before I correct myself, when I think of a secularist the first thing I think of is a composite of every person who has ever compared my faith to believing in Santa Clause, every little smug prick who thinks s/he can prove to me that I'm an idiot for believing in God. And it does take effort to separate the merits of secularism from the pain of vindicating those mother****ers, and I can understand why a lot of people don't feel like making that effort.

And thus you've got a situation where a small percentage of crazy christians pick whatever whack job they've decided would best be a congressman, senator, governor, president, whatever, and then a much larger percentage of the christian population who prefers the whach job over the alternative (considering the alternative could in some ways be interpreted as vindicating those little bastards), and thus, the problem.

I’m very aware that Blackwell is not representative of most Christians and while I understand there is some hostility from non-believers toward Christians there are plenty of Christians who are hostile to non-believers. The difference being that those who compare your faith to Santa aren’t trying to impose their beliefs on you by means of the government. A number of them might call you names, but that’s the extent of it. Christians who vote for someone else just because they are Christian are just shooting themselves in the foot. It is almost certain that their brand of Christianity will be trampled upon especially by politicians like Blackwell. Luckily, the situation here in Ohio isn’t Christian vs Atheist for governor, but a wackjob Christian (Blackwell) vs a normal Christian (Strickland), who was a Methodist minister. Unfortunately, it is the wackjob segment that makes their voice heard loud and clear, which really wouldn’t be such a big deal, but they vote.

We should be free to practice our beliefs but we must say no to theocracy! I have been following this argument for many years and I keep hearing my fellow Christians deny they are seeking a theocracy. We must be patient for Christs return..then and only then will our desire for a theocracy be fulfilled! Religion has no place in government [policy]. The faith based initiative seemed like a good idea to many Americans..who would oppose charity? I however was alarmed by this idea..I am a Christian but I do not like the idea of tax revenues being dispersed to any religious group even if the motive is good.I fear a theocracy more than any other form of government.

If anyone, religiously motivated or not, speaking softly and nicely or not, speaks out against mutual, equal freedom, or acts out against mutually and equal freedom, then yes, I think it's justifiable to curse, scream, kick, and in many cases, kill to defend it. After all, most countries were founded through killing those who oppose it. That's what evil is, anyway, opposing freedoms.
Intereperation is the b**h, but what else do we have to do with our time then figure out ways to get better at intereperating it? :)

Freedom of speech is BS when it comes down to freedom, vs no freedom. The screaming of fire in a crowded theater is nothing compared to verbally organizing and influencing, the end of freedom.

-Mach

I don't think it will ever happen. Christians are like Democrats, they are a large collection of smaller collections of ideas and they hate each other over the smallest of differences. The only reason the Dems have a chance of unseating incumbent Republicans is that the Republicans have given them the ammo that will lead to their own demise. I am tired of corrupt politicians, and currently it is the party of the elephant that has the most visible corruption, so next time around, I hold my nose and vote for the party that is the least smelly, which currently just happens to be the party of the jackass.
At least the Dems are slower to pander to the Christian right. There is no way that I will ever believe that Bush is anything but a Christian of convenience. Jimmy Carter is probably the only Christian president that we ever had in the last century, the rest just borrowed the mantle of Christianity to get elected. And the average Christian can't see it, or won't admit it.

Back
Top Bottom