• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

57% of American households paid no income tax last year, study shows

Well.. you should take the cure...

Tell us TurtleDude..did you go full prostrate to the Golden statue of Trump?

Or did you just kiss its golden feet??
Lmao.
Trump derangement system indeed.
do you worship senile Joe and Kamala Ho? I have posted hundreds of times I no longer support Trump and stopped supporting him shortly after voting in November of 2020. You on the other hand continue to worship the democrats while claiming to be a conservative.

do you worship senile Joe and Kamala Ho? I have posted hundreds of times I no longer support Trump and stopped supporting him shortly after voting in November of 2020. You on the other hand continue to worship the democrats while claiming to be a conservative.
Please explain in detail..how I "worship democrats. "
Was it the " held my nose and voted democrat against Trump comment" lol.

Meanwhile you fly into a funk of " TDS" the minute someone questions your dear leader...Trump.

lw rhetoric.
I repeat: "If you want the top tiers to pay even more, just say so, but don't try to sling the tired old uninformed lw class warrior agitprop about 'fair share' and 'inequality'.

You're empty-headed if you can't figure from what I said that the top tiers should not pay even more than the less that is fair that they already pay.

You're empty-headed if you can't figure from what I said that the top tiers should not pay even more than the less that is fair that they already pay.

Can you restate that (bolded above) in some comprehensible fashion? You mimicked the word salad of Kamala Harris with that nonsense.

A recent analysis from the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center estimated that 57% of Americans paid no taxes last year. While that's down slightly from last year's 60%, it marks a significant increase from the 44% recorded before the pandemic began.

Because the stimulus checks were designed as refundable tax credits, they significantly reduced tax liability in both 2020 and 2021, the analysis said. And in some cases, the checks flipped some households from paying income tax to not doing so.

Essentially, no household making less than $28,000 paid federal income tax last year, nor will a majority – about 75% – of those making between $28,000 and $55,000. Among middle-income households, about 43% paid no federal income tax.

Still, while many households did not pay federal income tax, most Americans still owed payroll or state income taxes. The study shows that about four out of five individuals paid at least one of these taxes. Nearly everyone paid the government in another form, whether through state and local sales taxes, excise taxes, property taxes or state income taxes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/phot...chts-belong-013747479.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Fox Business News often surprises me by telling the truth.
I can't remember the exact numbers but something like 10% of America pays 90% of the income taxes

I can't remember the exact numbers but something like 10% of America pays 90% of the income taxes

That only works if you exclude the FICA “payroll” tax (applied to income) revenue from federal income tax revenue.

That only works if you exclude the FICA “payroll” tax (applied to income) revenue from federal income tax revenue.
As I said "income tax". A very few people pay 90% of it. I'd look for the exact numbers but they don't really matter. The point is the point.

As I said "income tax". A very few people pay 90% of it. I'd look for the exact numbers but they don't really matter. The point is the point.

I know that. My point was that you excluded another federal tax (based entirely) on income.

I got curious.
I'd say the rich are paying their fair share.

"The top 10 percent of earners bore responsibility for over 71 percent of all income taxes paid and the top 25 percent paid 87 percent of all income taxes."

Who Pays Income Taxes? - Foundation - National Taxpayers

OK, but that was the intent of having progressive FIT bracket rates and a ‘standard’ deduction. The electorate (as a whole) are not paying a “fair share” if the federal government routinely spends more than they dare ask for in federal revenue.

That sort of federal (borrow and/or print) “budgeting” simply transfers the burden of present federal spending to future generations to ‘enjoy’ paying for. As interest rates rise (to fight inflation?) the percentage of current federal spending dedicated to paying for past federal spending increases.

OK, but that was the intent of having progressive FIT bracket rates and a ‘standard’ deduction. The electorate (as a whole) are not paying a “fair share” if the federal government routinely spends more than they dare ask for in federal revenue.

That sort of federal (borrow and/or print) “budgeting” simply transfers the burden of present federal spending to future generations to ‘enjoy’ paying for. As interest rates rise (to fight inflation?) the percentage of current federal spending dedicated to paying for past federal spending increases.
Government spending is the problem. The "fair share" to finance this overspending would make all America poor.

Yep and congress critters also tend to be wealthy, but so long as the voters don’t care then I would not expect any reduction in the borrow, print and spend nonsense.

The way that things stand now, only interest on the national debt, defense, entitlement and the “safety net” programs are ‘paid for’ with annual federal revenue - the rest of annual federal spending is simply added to the national debt.
Defense is discretionary, elective, spending. Who cares if the national defense is a Constitutional requirement for the Federal government.

Revenue isn't the problem for the Federal government it's spending. Total revenues have increased every year since the falsely claimed tax cuts for the rich was passed.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

Mushrooming nondiscrectionary entitlement spending doesn't leave enough to fund every vote buying scheme the swamp dwellers want to fund. No problem just print more money. What's needed is a balanced budget amendment like 36 states have.

Defense is discretionary, elective, spending. Who cares if the national defense is a Constitutional requirement for the Federal government.

Revenue isn't the problem for the Federal government it's spending. Total revenues have increased every year since the falsely claimed tax cuts for the rich was passed.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

Mushrooming nondiscrectionary entitlement spending doesn't leave enough to fund every vote buying scheme the swamp dwellers want to fund. No problem just print more money. What's needed is a balanced budget amendment like 36 states have.

So long as borrow and print federal “budgeting” gets congress critters re-elected at a rate of over 90%, it would be insane for congress critters to want to change that politically successful policy.

Government spending is the problem. The "fair share" to finance this overspending would make all America poor.
Well it sure would make a lot of people poorer.

Can you restate that (bolded above) in some comprehensible fashion? You mimicked the word salad of Kamala Harris with that nonsense.

The top tiers already pay less than is fair. They should pay more, but no more than is fair.

The claim is "57% of Americans paid no taxes last year". If they are referring to income taxes, then it's false.
Maybe they're referring to retirees and children. They probably are.

Back
Top Bottom