• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

538: Most Americans will have a Democratic governor

Except for one point, it’s all aimed at both parties, show me anywhere, where Democrats engage in the same kind of clear and unrepentant voter suppression republicans do and you’ll change my mind immediately.
From What We Have to Fear By David Leonhardt

That’s why the midterms are so important. The Republicans will almost certainly lose the nationwide popular vote in the House elections. Yet if they still hold on to their majority — thanks partly to voter suppression — party leaders will take it as an endorsement of their strategy. They will have paid no political price for their power grab. They will be tempted to go further — to suppress more votes, use more racism, cover up more scandals and violate more democratic rules and customs.

That's just it: people are allowed to vote. It's irrational to assert that they're not.

If it's closed then no, they can't. It freezes them out of a vote.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...rs-voting-could-cost-you-your-hunting-license

Is your mind changed or are you racing to find a way of excusing it?

I see your 30 second google search didn’t bear very good fruit.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/north-dakota-voting-hunting-licenses/

So you’ve got a false article, in an attempt to show some kind of equivalence with a clear pl demonstrable and concise multi-state republican strategy to supress votes on a massive scale.

Please stop bud, you’re embarrassing yourself.

I see your 30 second google search didn’t bear very good fruit.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/north-dakota-voting-hunting-licenses/

So you’ve got a false article, in an attempt to show some kind of equivalence with a clear pl demonstrable and concise multi-state republican strategy to supress votes on a massive scale.

Please stop bud, you’re embarrassing yourself.

So your defense is that the DNC lied, as per Snopes, so telling hunters not to vote isn't voter suppression?

I see, then, that you went for option two.

Maybe you should read the Snopes article. It doesn't dispute that the DNC sent out the political ad warning hunters not to vote in North Dakota's mid-terms, Snopes only points out that the DNC ad was false.

Last edited:
And? A vote is a vote. I mean, the argument could be easily made that voter suppression in the Democrats 2016 primary is why Trump is president.

A primary and a general are two very different animals. If someone isn't, say, a democrat, why would you expect them to be able to vote for who to run as a Democrat?

They're not rationally comparable.

A primary and a general are two very different animals. If someone isn't, say, a democrat, why would you expect them to be able to vote for who to run as a Democrat?

They're not rationally comparable.

They are different elections, sure, but they are still votes. Bernie Supporters staged a walkout of the 2016 DNC over the DNC hi-jinks.

Also, my sources didn't only talk about primaries.

They are different elections, sure, but they are still votes. Bernie Supporters staged a walkout of the 2016 DNC over the DNC hi-jinks.

I'm only talking about general elections. That's what the right to vote is about.

Yes, primary votes are still votes, but they are not rationally comparable to general election votes.

Hillary got 4 million more primary votes than Bernie. There wasn't any suppression.

I'm only talking about general elections. That's what the right to vote is about.

Yes, primary votes are still votes, but they are not rationally comparable to general election votes.

So you are moving goal posts then? Got it.

Also, here is a handy list of 1178 cases of voter fraud.. the stuff that the DNC swears never happens so please stop checking.

Hillary got 4 million more primary votes than Bernie. There wasn't any suppression.

Voter Suppression is a loss of a vote, or actively discouraging a vote.

Elections have a snowballing effect. The DNC actively worked against Bernie in the primaries to promote Hillary, which would impact the final vote. It was most certainly voter suppression.

So you are moving goal posts then? Got it.

Also, here is a handy list of 1178 cases of voter fraud.. the stuff that the DNC swears never happens so please stop checking.

No, I'm not moving the goalposts. You should learn what that term means before trying to use it.

And how pathetically dishonest. That site conflates registration fraud with voter fraud in order to get a larger looking number. They're not the same thing.

https://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/debunking-voter-fraud-myth

I'll leave you to your dishonesty and utter disinterest in rational discourse.

So your defense is that the DNC lied, as per Snopes, so telling hunters not to vote isn't voter suppression?

I see, then, that you went for option two.

Maybe you should read the Snopes article. It doesn't dispute that the DNC sent out the political ad warning hunters not to vote in North Dakota's mid-terms, Snopes only points out that the DNC ad was false.

It’s unclear who and what went on there, any attempt at voter suppression is wrong but it true, tried and tested Trumpist style, one obscure ad that’s very unclear what was actually going on there, is nothing compared to the nationwide, republican strategy of voter suppression which has actively surpressed votes.

It’s quantifiable, it’s demonstrable and it’s proven.

One ad in one state is not comparable.

Things that will fix the American political system.

1. Stop Gerrymandering. Blatantly undemocratic (no matter who does it), needs to be gone yesterday.

2. Money in politics HAS to be severely curtailed, Citizens United legalized corruption in essence and it is ridiculous that people think Money = Speech, that is at least partially responsible for the acceleration in the decay of the countries politics.

3. Enact a form of proportional representation so that people have a real democratic choice and not the farce of the 2 party dictatorship.

4. Don't know exactly how you would do this, but stamp out the blatant voter suppression. That is what many Republican states are doing and it has nothing to do with addressing voter fraud.

But no one will do this, because they're either too invested in their tribe to want to push for this, or they're the party themselves that don't want to lose any power.

So, the above can be packed into a bong and smoked, because that's as far as it'll ever go.

I agree!

Well, that can ready be read any number of ways. Sure, the most populated states have Democrat governors... so the most violence will be under Democrat Governors, the most auto accidents, the most rapes, the most murders, the most poverty.. etc. etc.

That isn't to blame governors for this, but to point out that meaningless statistics are meaningless.

The only REAL takeaway from this is that states fairly well represent the politics of their constituents. The Federal government by design weighs both the population as a whole and the states individually. That latter part of the equation plays a major role only in close presidential elections.
The bolded is a very good point! :thumbs:

(and why it's called "Federal" government)

That would be a tremendous upset. A single digit (%) win for Cuomo would be a very tight race. He does have some corruption swirling around him, from what I remember. That and the fact that he is a moron are the only hopes that Molinaro has in a State like NY.

I generally despise Cuomo, but I'm not sure a Republican would be better.

I generally despise Cuomo, but I'm not sure a Republican would be better.

Yep, crooked as hell. A true politician, and a master at it

Back
Top Bottom