• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3x3 Olympic Basketball? WTF?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What the hell? Three on three half-court basketball??? As an Olympic sport???

What’s happening in this world?

When will lawn darts, corn hole, and beer pong get their Olympic debuts?

I mean really? What’s the point of 3x3 basketball in the Olympics?

We were constantly told that duplication of skills prevents some sports from being in the olympics (such as compound bow archery). Yet we have beach volleyball and now this nonsense.

Until today I have never seen 3x3 basketball... not impressed.

From Olympic.org...

Outlook for the Tokyo 2020 Games​

Who will the first Olympic champion be?
In the men’s 3x3, Serbia has won four out of the six World Cups since the inaugural tournament in 2012. While most nations have players from five-a-side who participate in 3x3, Serbia has developed the 3x3 game independently, sending professional teams to world competitions and gaining a high ranking so they continue to be the team to beat.
One of the outstanding players from Serbia is the 191cm tall Dušan Bulut of Novi Sad, the winners of the 2019 World Tour Utsunomiya Final. Bulut, the No. 1 player in the world, is known for his outstanding passing ability.
Meanwhile, in the women’s game there is no dominant nation, with five different countries having won a World Cup — the most recent being the People’s Republic of China. For Tokyo 2020, the chance for a spot on the podium is open, so all teams are gearing up to deliver their best performance.

====

Seems like this was one of those things the IOC put in to quell the once-dominant American teams. You may not be able to put together a great 5 person team if you're Angola but if all you need is three athletes and play on a half-court.... That becomes a lower bar to clear. I do like a 12 second shot-clock. I wish the NBA and NCAA would have that once the ball crosses midcourt.

As for Lawn Darts, Cornhole, and Beer Pong... I doubt I could go with beer pong but as for the other sports...would it really matter if they joined the Olympics? Table Tennis and target shooting are "sports". Both seem pretty second nature to me.

From Olympic.org...

Outlook for the Tokyo 2020 Games​

Who will the first Olympic champion be?
In the men’s 3x3, Serbia has won four out of the six World Cups since the inaugural tournament in 2012. While most nations have players from five-a-side who participate in 3x3, Serbia has developed the 3x3 game independently, sending professional teams to world competitions and gaining a high ranking so they continue to be the team to beat.
One of the outstanding players from Serbia is the 191cm tall Dušan Bulut of Novi Sad, the winners of the 2019 World Tour Utsunomiya Final. Bulut, the No. 1 player in the world, is known for his outstanding passing ability.
Meanwhile, in the women’s game there is no dominant nation, with five different countries having won a World Cup — the most recent being the People’s Republic of China. For Tokyo 2020, the chance for a spot on the podium is open, so all teams are gearing up to deliver their best performance.

====

Seems like this was one of those things the IOC put in to quell the once-dominant American teams. You may not be able to put together a great 5 person team if you're Angola but if all you need is three athletes and play on a half-court.... That becomes a lower bar to clear. I do like a 12 second shot-clock. I wish the NBA and NCAA would have that once the ball crosses midcourt.

As for Lawn Darts, Cornhole, and Beer Pong... I doubt I could go with beer pong but as for the other sports...would it really matter if they joined the Olympics? Table Tennis and target shooting are "sports". Both seem pretty second nature to me.
I forgot...Badminton is in the Olympics too. Lawn Darts seems like it should fit right in.

I forgot...Badminton is in the Olympics too. Lawn Darts seems like it should fit right in.
you obviously have never seen world class badminton. or table tennis. the athletic merit of both is way way up there

Badminton is one of the biggest sports in SE Asia. Turn on a TV in Indonesia, its on....

Badminton is one of the biggest sports in SE Asia. Turn on a TV in Indonesia, its on....
its also huge in Canada, Denmark, and many former commonwealth nations

its also huge in Canada, Denmark, and many former commonwealth nations
Can't speak to badminton but there's table tennis parlors like pool rooms in my home town. Come to think, the pool rooms all have billiard tables now, for the young Asian guys.

Can't speak to badminton but there's table tennis parlors like pool rooms in my home town. Come to think, the pool rooms all have billiard tables now, for the young Asian guys.
you ever watch top players play-few sports have more athletes playing them than TT and almost every country has a TT association. Far more countries have serious TT than say gymnastics or rowing.

From 1900 to 1920 Tug-of-War was in the Olympics.

I think it could become popular again. They would have to have some kind of weight limits undoubtedly.

From 1900 to 1920 Tug-of-War was in the Olympics.

I think it could become popular again. They would have to have some kind of weight limits undoubtedly.
Dodgeball. It teaches you every life lesson you need. Kill or be killed (figuratively)...no where to run and no where to hide.

what is the most practiced sport in the Olympic games?

The Olympics needs kick ball. How could I forget about kickball?

For the uninitiated - think baseball but the pitcher rolls a ball towards home plate and the opposing team’s player kicks ball with foot.

Played this a lot as a kid.

Does the olympics have bowling? How about putt putt golf? Hopscotch?

That’s pretty damn funny. :ROFLMAO:(y)

I don't mean to use such hostile terms (kill or be killed) but that is essentially a day in/day out experience. If you can't do your job better than the next guy, your boss will replace you (maybe). If you don't keep improving your products, someone else will take your customers.

It gets a bad rap (in my view--being totally serious here) because its the first "combat" sport you're taught as a kid so the Lilly livered left doesn't want it taught to their precious offspring (Egad!!!) but life, to a certain degree, is confrontational.

Why not?

It's a sport, it's fast-paced, and it's apparently fairly popular -- even in the US, since it's based off of street b-ball games.

Oh, you must be American. I forgot, the world revolves around mainstream American preferences in sport. :D

The Olympics are stupid.

3x3 basketball is dumb. These people aren't even good at what they do.

Why not?

Oh, you must be American. I forgot, the world revolves around mainstream American preferences in sport. :D
Not at all. I really enjoy and marvel at watching ping pong. Was so happy for Japan beating China in mixed Doubles.

In Winter Olympics I love watching curling.

Badminton has a huge following in Asia and parts of Europe. Badminton is bigger than Basketball in Asia and even many places in Europe.

I'm waiting for the Muggle version of Quidditch to become an Olympic sport. And I'm not joking. :D

Back
Top Bottom