• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2020 decrease in gasoline consumption, prices and refineries. Trump asleep at the switch

What was the XL pipeline going to do and when?

New Data: Biden’s First Year Drilling Permitting Stomps Trump’s By 34%

Thousands of Permits OK’d Despite President’s Authority to End Drilling by 2035

WASHINGTON— New federal data shows the Biden administration approved 3,557 permits for oil and gas drilling on public lands in its first year, far outpacing the Trump administration’s first-year total of 2,658.

Nearly 2,000 of the drilling permits were approved on public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management’s New Mexico office, followed by 843 in Wyoming, 285 in Montana and North Dakota, and 191 in Utah. In California, the Biden administration approved 187 permits — more than twice the 71 drilling permits Trump approved in that state in his first year.

Trump Bans Oil Drilling Off Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Doesnt matter if they then dont permit all the other things to go along with it, wait hundreds of days to grant additional leases, and totally block drilling on the places where there actually is oil, like ANWR.

In 2020 Covid led do very low gasoline consumption. Which led to low prices, which led to low refinement of oil to gasoline.

As we see now the lack of refinement of oil and refineries closed we are experiencing low gasoline supply and a return to high consumption.

In 2020 Trump was POTUS, shouldn't he have done something to fend off the consequences we are experiencing now.

I mean all he did was gloat about the temporary low prices with no for thought.

I was no fan of Trump but it sounds like you're asking the following (correct me if I'm wrong): "Why didn't the government by X amount of refined gasoline and store it for just such a shortage? A "market correction" of sorts was, after all predictable economic activity and demand returned." Am I right?

Well, I'd like to hear the answer to that--if that is the question you're asking--from others. I think it will go along the lines of not having storage capacity to make a dent and hurting the markets.

My question to you is this: Gas is different in 2 ways. First the Home Depot doesn't have a big flashing sign outside telling you that the price of a 2X4 that you can readily compare to your memories of yesterday. Secondly, gasoline is used by pretty much everyone so it affects us all. Would you want the government to buy a bunch of 2x4s, plywood, joists, etc... and store them as well? Essentially it's the same thing. Gas starts off as petroleum; the 2x4 starts off as a tree. Both are refined and sold as usable commodities.

Strategic Petroleum Reserve​

Trump was a useless POS, he didn't do anything but golf, grift and tweet. And oil companies only care about one thing like pretty much all greedy scumsucking corporations, profit. THey are raking it in, they don't care about the harm prices have.

You would think that would be a good time to fill reserves.

Wait, so oil companies just decided to start raising prices when Biden became president?

And oil companies only care about one thing like pretty much all greedy scumsucking corporations, profit. THey are raking it in, they don't care about the harm prices have.
burns61gZX518c6L._SX491_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"....profits....profits.....I love profits mwahahahahahah....pay up suckers"

Stop blocking pipelines and drilling on federal lands, putting taxes and regulation on oil industry, funding competition.
Biden Admin Approved Hundreds More Public Lands Drilling Permits Than Trump

I was no fan of Trump but it sounds like you're asking the following (correct me if I'm wrong): "Why didn't the government by X amount of refined gasoline and store it for just such a shortage? A "market correction" of sorts was, after all predictable economic activity and demand returned." Am I right?

Well, I'd like to hear the answer to that--if that is the question you're asking--from others. I think it will go along the lines of not having storage capacity to make a dent and hurting the markets.

My question to you is this: Gas is different in 2 ways. First the Home Depot doesn't have a big flashing sign outside telling you that the price of a 2X4 that you can readily compare to your memories of yesterday. Secondly, gasoline is used by pretty much everyone so it affects us all. Would you want the government to buy a bunch of 2x4s, plywood, joists, etc... and store them as well? Essentially it's the same thing. Gas starts off as petroleum; the 2x4 starts off as a tree. Both are refined and sold as usable commodities.
Great response. Actually the point I'm making is; no President can controll the oil industry. So , this Biden blame is utter bullshit

In 2020 Covid led do very low gasoline consumption. Which led to low prices, which led to low refinement of oil to gasoline.

As we see now the lack of refinement of oil and refineries closed we are experiencing low gasoline supply and a return to high consumption.

In 2020 Trump was POTUS, shouldn't he have done something to fend off the consequences we are experiencing now.

I mean all he did was gloat about the temporary low prices with no for thought.
Haha. Trump responsible for Biden's failed presidency. Too rich!

Stop blocking pipelines and drilling on federal lands, putting taxes and regulation on oil industry, funding competition.
This is another bullshit argument. There’s a ton of leases not being exploited. That could be.

Kinda like the power company here in San Diego that launched a whole “liberals won’t let’s us build any power plants” campaign.

Turned out what was really going on was they wanted to build a plant at the most convenient place for them to access a fuel pipeline. Which just happened to be right next door, upwind, to a huge recreation park where many children and adults played baseball and soccer etc., every day of the week.

Likely the leases not being used aren’t as possible as others that they can’t get would be. Frankly I don’t want to see national parks wrecked for cheap oil that will not become cheap gasoline.

Haha. Trump responsible for Biden's failed presidency. Too rich!
Not at all. Although it is difficult for Biden to look imediately good. Why? Biden has a huge pile of trump shit to clean up, and it will take time to right the ship.

Not at all. Although it is difficult for Biden to look imediately good. Why? Biden has a huge pile of trump shit to clean up, and it will take time to right the ship.
No Biden F-ed it all up by himself. Every single policy of his has been shit.

Wonder why oil producers are not too excited about "drill baby drill".

The shale boom and bust!

On April 20, 2020, the front-month May 2020 WTI crude contract dropped 306%, or $55.90, for the session, to settle at negative $37.63 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.Apr 19, 2021

Great response. Actually the point I'm making is; no President can controll the oil industry. So , this Biden blame is utter bullshit
Well, theoretically Trump could have ordered 30-40,000 tankers from Great Dane or whomever, filled them full of gasoline that was bought wholesale and stored them for the inevitable uptick in demand that was sure to follow. Of course that would do two things...keep the price of gasoline artificially high (less supply) and keep the price of gasoline artificially low (increased supply) later on.

But do we really want the government doing that? I don't. Because you'd have to do it for every industry unless you want to play favorites for petroleum--not a great move politically (not in blue/purple states anyway). I didn't like it when we bailed out the farmers twice during the self-inflicted trade war.

Anyway...blaming Biden for the shortages is just as much bullshit as Blaming Trump for not doing anything earlier in my view.

Biden Admin Approved Hundreds More Public Lands Drilling Permits Than Trump

Drilling permits spiked then plunged under Biden​

Back
Top Bottom