• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

2016 Presidential Election night discussion [Read #1397]

Re: 2016 Presidential Election night discussion

Well, predictions appear to look favorable for Clinton and marijuana legalization in MA. I'm about to head out for a proper Sichuan dinner and hopefully things will be clearer when I return.

The glasses of whiskey I've consumed thus far haven't helped on the point of clarity, however. I may end up working Sunday instead of tomorrow......

(I'm my own boss, so yeah....I can do that.)
I'll bet you drank more than a glass of whiskey.

Earlier I was listening to one of her & Bill's associates (Doug Schoen) and he predicted it right ... at least the part we can confirm.
He said she'd give a good public speech ... while in private recriminating against others for the loss.
The latter is her reputation.

I cannot imagine Clinton's disappointment (and outrage too because I think that all along, she thought she had this election in the bag). She's entitled to the pity-party of her choice.

But give credit where it's due. It took guts to deliver that speech and admit her disappointment while also trying to inspire. I won't lie; at the beginning when she said that this election was never about her, I began talking to my TV and saying "Yes, it was," and etc.

But she moved on from that, and I can't imagine what more anybody could ask for from her this morning.

I firmly believe some of these types listen to the We are the World Coke song every night before bed. It's a nice sentiment not rooted in reality.

I prefer "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

It occurs to me that early on many people thought, I think I even said as much, that the Republican Party nominated the only candidate who couldn't beat Hillary Clinton.
Over the months, and confirmed yesterday, given what mattered to voters this election year it's clear that he was the only one who could have beaten Hillary Clinton.

clinton and obama pushing for muslims who are the womens worst nightmare and takes both blacks and hispanic jobs helped to wake up a few in these groups to vote against clinton ....if they did not push for that the unwise voters would have elected clinton

I firmly believe some of these types listen to the We are the World Coke song every night before bed. It's a nice sentiment not rooted in reality.

... same as the Constitution is a Living Document crowd ... they're both strategic means to an end.

clinton and obama pushing for muslims who are the womens worst nightmare and takes both blacks and hispanic jobs helped to wake up a few in these groups to vote against clinton ....if they did not push for that the unwise voters would have elected clinton

I don't know about your conclusion, but their position on that was one part of the pastiche that didn't work for them.

... same as the Constitution is a Living Document crowd ... they're both strategic means to an end.

A living document...who thought that one up? The only living documents I know of are my bills. They show up every month, and they'll likely outlive me.

It's Idiocracy, but for reals yo.

No that thread on manufacturing jobs never coming back was idiotic
All Govt buildings beings switching over to Solae power ? Lol !
The people who's knowledge of electricity stops at the electrical outlet in their Kitchen should NOT be allowed to implement National energy policies

Sanders would've stood a far better chance. Sanders had a message that resonated with the rust belt voters. Hillary did not.

Robby Mook took a page of of political history that was "Donna Brazille's tales on how to lose an election" and did the same thing. Had Hillary sit back on her heals and instead of putting out a message to the people of why they should vote FOR her and opted to pretend like Trump would sink himself and just run commercials about how bad trump was.

I don't really disagree with your analysis. Although, I believe it was Bernie himself that resonated with voters more than his message. I don't think I agreed with a single position of Bernie's, but I do respect that his honesty and integrity is above reproach. Therefore, I think he stood a better chance because of his character, not his message.

I think Mook was between a rock and a hard place. The more Hillary was in the public eye, the more her numbers dropped. Keeping her hidden and hoping Trump's mouth did him in seemed like it might work. Given his mouth's tremendous ability to generate self inflicted wounds, it might of worked if not for SCOTUS and hatred for the establishment.

Here it is from Wiki, and I should've known this.

The phrase originally derives from the title of a 1927 book of that name by Professor Howard Lee McBain,[2] while early efforts at developing the concept in modern form have been credited to figures including Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., Louis D. Brandeis, and Woodrow Wilson.[3][4] The earliest mentions of the Constitution as "living", particularly in the context of a new way of interpreting it, comes out of Woodrow Wilson's book Constitutional Government in the United States [5] where he wrote:

Living political constitutions must be Darwinian in structure and in practice.[6]

Wilson strengthened this view, at least publicly, while he campaigned for President in 1912. He said:

Society is a living organism and must obey the laws of life, not of mechanics; it must develop. All that progressives ask or desire is permission - in an era when "development," "evolution," is the scientific word - to interpret the Constitution according to the Darwinian principle; all they ask is recognition of the fact that a nation is a living thing and not a machine.[7]

A living document...who thought that one up? The only living documents I know of are my bills. They show up every month, and they'll likely outlive me.

And they grow ever larger.

The phrase originally derives from the title of a 1927 book of that name by Professor Howard Lee McBain,[2] while early efforts at developing the concept in modern form have been credited to figures including Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., Louis D. Brandeis, and Woodrow Wilson.[3][4] The earliest mentions of the Constitution as "living", particularly in the context of a new way of interpreting it, comes out of Woodrow Wilson's book Constitutional Government in the United States [5] where he wrote:

Living political constitutions must be Darwinian in structure and in practice.[6]

Wilson strengthened this view, at least publicly, while he campaigned for President in 1912. He said:

Society is a living organism and must obey the laws of life, not of mechanics; it must develop. All that progressives ask or desire is permission - in an era when "development," "evolution," is the scientific word - to interpret the Constitution according to the Darwinian principle; all they ask is recognition of the fact that a nation is a living thing and not a machine.[7]

The Constitution is whatever the hell you want it to be. Words to live by.

yes indeed a nation MUST OBEY THE LAWS OF LIFE

and the LAWS of LIFE SCREAMS NO TO DEMOCRACY where 60 IQ voters equals 160 IQ voters

going against the founders on stopping the unwise was a giant CRIME done by the greed type foolers who wanted women to work for them and not for their babies and families.... this was a gigantic CRIME against the LAWS OF LIFE !!

and the LAWS of LIFE SCREAMS NO TO DEMOCRACY where 60 IQ voters equals 160 IQ voters

going against the founders on stopping the unwise was a giant CRIME done by the greed type foolers who wanted women to work for them and not for their babies and families.... this was a gigantic CRIME against the LAWS OF LIFE !!

That's some interesting insight.

Must be tough on people like you who find it harder to manipulate the rural population and fly over country than it is to manipulate people in the inner city. The political machine lost yesterday, good riddance

Clinton had more Americans voting for her than voted for Trump. Sadly, an elitist mechanism left over from the 1700's at a time when the vast majority of Americans were not even allowed to vote is still in effect and for the second time in 16 years delivers us the loser of the popular vote as President.

The Constitution is whatever the hell you want it to be. Words to live by.

Social Darwinism at it's finest. Adapt or die...or, if you prefer it another way: "We'll get along just fine as long as you agree with whatever I want to do."

How do you figure Hillary won the popular vote.

The last I saw Trump was ahead by 1M.

Did that change over night?

Yes it did. The latest numbers still show Clinton winning the popular vote as of noon today.

How do you figure Hillary won the popular vote.

The last I saw Trump was ahead by 1M.

Did that change over night?

Yes it did. Clinton now up by about 230,000 votes.

ahh the Electoral Collage the founders put in place;)

yes - the same one that is a leftover from the 1700's when the vast majority of Americans could not even vote and the elite did not even trust those who could let alone the great numbers of Americans who can vote today.

Clinton had more Americans voting for her than voted for Trump. Sadly, an elitist mechanism left over from the 1700's at a time when the vast majority of Americans were not even allowed to vote is still in effect and for the second time in 16 years delivers us the loser of the popular vote as President.

clinton had more of the unwise voters who gets fooled more easy by the corrupt media .... the founders did not let those unwise vote

My point stands about the big cities and how the political bosses can manipulate the voting public there. I suggest you look again at the county map and see the red vs. blue. I understand your desire to have the big cities elect the President but our Founders got it right. the big city people of NYC, Chicago, LA, SF are total and complete idiots dependent on the taxpayers for their own existence. Time for some tough love

The laws of life is a meaningless phrase. Social evolution is not nearly so dynamic as many progressives imagine. Cultural changes cannot be imposed on an unwilling society here. Such things only occur gradually over generations.

Back
Top Bottom