• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 point field goals past 40 yards.

If I had my way players would play both ways.
A lot of great athletes could do it but that would be an injury plagued season I imagine.

A lot of great athletes could do it but that would be an injury plagued season I imagine.
I don't know. 15 seconds of game play followed by two minutes of deciding what to do in the next 15 seconds? Pretty relaxed, especially given It's only one game a week.
And a safety might be a little less vicious about exploiting the angles he gets on receivers if he's going to be catching the ball on the next series. Same for a linebacker who will be carrying the ball, or taking the snap. That principle is what keeps hockey players (kind of) honest.

Because in essence, kicking FG's is it's own punishment. Teams who can't score TDs don't win very often.
so reward not having a good enough offense to move down the field with 2 points instead of 3.

Well, if all a team can manage is field goals throughout a game the majority of the time they will be rewarded with a loss. I actually would like to see 55+ field goals be worth 4 points.

A field goal is a reward for getting close. The reward for getting close cannot increase for getting less close. Less close, less points. An individual player, in fantasy football, could be awarded more points for less close but not a team.

so reward not having a good enough offense to move down the field with 2 points instead of 3.
I think the scoring in football is a leftover from rugby, which you may have heard of in New Zealand. They play rugby there, don't they? (Kidding! I'm kidding!) The field goal in American football comes from the drop goal in rugby (pretty rare) or the penalty kick. If you were designing the game from square one you'd probably do it different but I kind of like the bits of oddness that result from evolution instead of intelligent design.

A field goal is a reward for getting close. The reward for getting close cannot increase for getting less close. Less close, less points. An individual player, in fantasy football, could be awarded more points for less close but not a team.
The point is to put the ball into the opponents end zone. If you carry it in you get maximum points and just have to cross the line but if you kick it in you get fewer points and only have a small window to put it through. It's basically the same as rugby, what football evolved from.

The point is to put the ball into the opponents end zone. If you carry it in you get maximum points and just have to cross the line but if you kick it in you get fewer points and only have a small window to put it through. It's basically the same as rugby, what football evolved from.

In football, close counts. Less close should not count more.

You could also penalize the defense if they allow an offense to score in less than 3 plays. The touchdown is worth 8pts instead of 6.

You could also penalize the defense if they allow an offense to score in less than 3 plays. The touchdown is worth 8pts instead of 6.
Now you are just getting silly... stay with us on planet Earth Arty...

Back
Top Bottom