• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2 point field goals past 40 yards.

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Field goals beyond 40 yards should only count as 2 points.

It has annoyed me forever that a team is rewarded by not having a good offense.

Why get half of a touchdown because you did not do well and have to kick a 55 yard field goal.

Bullshit.

Why get half of a touchdown because you did not do well and have to kick a 55 yard field goal.

Bullshit.
Well, if all a team can manage is field goals throughout a game the majority of the time they will be rewarded with a loss. I actually would like to see 55+ field goals be worth 4 points.

Bullshit.

Why would more difficult field goals count for fewer points? That makes no sense.

I’m old enough to remember when anything over 35 yards was a nail-biter. Now 50 is considered automatic or you’ll be selling fish on Monday…..

Well, if all a team can manage is field goals throughout a game the majority of the time they will be rewarded with a loss.
Cincinnati won their Wild Card Game and essentially the Playoff that way. Field Goals.
I actually would like to see 55+ field goals be worth 4 points.
You want to see a team REWARDED for not being able to move the ball down the field?

I’m old enough to remember when anything over 35 yards was a nail-biter. Now 50 is considered automatic or you’ll be selling fish on Monday…..
Exactly. The game needs to revise the rules as such.

Why would more difficult field goals count for fewer points? That makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense. I do not like to see a team rewarded for not being able to move the ball.

What about a narrower field goal?
That is not a bad idea... or a field goal that gets wider the closer you are and more narrow the farther you are all based on yardage.

That is not a bad idea... or a field goal that gets wider the closer you are and more narrow the farther you are all based on yardage.

In a way that's what field goals do. Smaller angle to kick at the farther you are away

In a way that's what field goals do. Smaller angle to kick at the farther you are away
Then I revert back to my original idea of less points.

It makes perfect sense. I do not like to see a team rewarded for not being able to move the ball.
do you feel the same way about three point shots in the NBA-why reward teams that cannot drive the paint and dunk? I think the rules are just fine the way they are.

Bullshit.
Just a side note: The goal post uprights used to be "H" shaped, and were placed on the goal line. Offensive receivers would use those two upright posts as shields, like they use referees as shields today. It also made it much harder to punt, or throw passes from the end zone. Any pass that hit any part of the goal post was ruled an incompletion.

What about a narrower field goal?
I still remember one of the first NFL games I went to. It was a night game @ RFK in DC. When we came out the tunnel/ramp to the field two things stood out. How green the grass was under the lights and how far away and narrow the goalposte were.

Cincinnati won their Wild Card Game and essentially the Playoff that way. Field Goals.

You want to see a team REWARDED for not being able to move the ball down the field?
You can certainly win that way, just won't be that often. Special teams is one of the 3 phases of football and kicking a 55+ yard field goal is no easy feat. Should a team's win count less if their defense can't stop anything?

Placekicking has come a long way.

I don't get why a more difficult FG try would count for LESS points.

If you hate the kicking game, the proper solution would be to eliminate the kicking game altogether.

I don't get why a more difficult FG try wouold count for LESS points.
Because you are looking at it all wrong. I have explained it a few times in this thread.
If you hate the kicking game, the proper solution would be to eliminate the kicking game altogether.
Who has suggested that they hate the kicking game?

I don't understand. They won.
Exactly. It doesn't matter if the offense sucks, defense sucks or the special teams unit sucks as long as the team is successful. The Bengals kicked their way to a victory. A win is a win.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if the offense sucks, defense sucks or the special teams unit sucks as long as the team is successful. The Bengals kicked their way to a victory. A win is a win.
Why does that affect my argument about reducing the point value for a long distance field goal?

Bullshit.
I'd rather it be 4 points. :devilish:

If I had my way players would play both ways.

Why does that affect my argument about reducing the point value for a long distance field goal?
Because in essence, kicking FG's is it's own punishment. Teams who can't score TDs don't win very often.

Back
Top Bottom