• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is a nice little read and for the minority of some people in america it is spot on. i skipped the personal relation story to just post the part in the middle but you should read it, its interesting.

[h=1]‘When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’[/h]
..... things started making a little more sense to me. All this anger we see from people screaming “All Lives Matter” in response to black protesters at rallies. All this anger we see from people insisting that their “religious freedom” is being infringed because a gay couple wants to get married. All these people angry about immigrants, angry about Muslims, angry about “Happy Holidays,” angry about not being able to say bigoted things without being called a bigot...They all basically boil down to people who have grown accustomed to walking straight at other folks, and expecting them to move. So when “those people” in their path don’t move — when those people start wondering, “Why am I always moving out of this guy’s way?”; when those people start asking themselves, “What if I didn’t move? What if I just kept walking too?”; when those people start believing that they have every bit as much right to that aisle as anyone else — it can seem like their rights are being taken away. (They arent)

Equality can feel like oppression. But it’s not. What you’re feeling is just the discomfort of losing a little bit of your privilege — the same discomfort that an only child feels when she goes to preschool and discovers that there are other kids who want to play with the same toys as she does.It’s like an old man being used to having a community pool all to himself, having that pool actually opened up to everyone in the community, and then that old man yelling, “But what about MY right to swim in a pool all by myself?!”And what we’re seeing politically right now is a bit of anger from both sides. On one side, we see people who are angry about “those people” being let into “our” pool. They’re angry about sharing their toys with the other kids in the classroom.They’re angry about being labeled a “racist,” just because they say racist things and have racist beliefs. They’re angry about having to consider others who might be walking toward them, strangely exerting their right to exist. On the other side, we see people who believe that pool is for everyone. We see people who realize that when our kids throw a fit in preschool, we teach them about how sharing is the right thing to do. We see people who understand being careful with their language as a way of being respectful to others. We see people who are attempting to stand in solidarity with the ones who are claiming their right to exist — the ones who are rightfully angry about having to always move out of the way, people who are asking themselves the question, “What if I just keep walking?”

Interesting look and awaking this person had to relate to it in another way. Anyway like I said for SOME people it is spot on and defines exactly the fantasy they are going through. Equal rights wins or the rights of others start being actually protected and they cry and scream and ask what bout my rights. But when they are asked what rights they are referring to they never have an answer or they give a right they never had and nobody does.

Im glad we keep improving as a country and im glad the majority understand this reality and the reality of equal rights, it makes me happy. For those that dont get it and want to fight it, oh well, they are losing and so is their hypocrisy and or bigotry. Hopefully for their sake they wake up and educate themselves to this issue, if not, its their loss.

Give it a rest, not another poor black man thread. :violin

No, that is just SJW nonsense.

This is a nice little read and for the minority of some people in america it is spot on. i skipped the personal relation story to just post the part in the middle but you should read it, its interesting.

Interesting look and awaking this person had to relate to it in another way. Anyway like I said for SOME people it is spot on and defines exactly the fantasy they are going through. Equal rights wins or the rights of others start being actually protected and they cry and scream and ask what bout my rights. But when they are asked what rights they are referring to they never have an answer or they give a right they never had and nobody does.

Im glad we keep improving as a country and im glad the majority understand this reality and the reality of equal rights, it makes me happy. For those that dont get it and want to fight it, oh well, they are losing and so is their hypocrisy and or bigotry. Hopefully for their sake they wake up and educate themselves to this issue, if not, its their loss.

Agreed.

The majority do, its easy to see what fuels the hate, rage, distain or frustration of those few that don't like freedom and rights for all.

What a load of worthless emotionally driven bull****.

What a load of worthless emotionally driven bull****.

LMAO ;) its actually spot on, there are posters here the this nails to the tee 100%, not many of course because there aren't a lot of them but its spot on.

LMAO ;) its actually spot on, there are posters here the this nails to the tee 100%, not many of course because there aren't a lot of them but its spot on.

Only in the delusional world of "Privilege" games the author and apparently you live in.

Only in the delusional world of "Privilege" games the author and apparently you live in.

No very much in reality and we see it right here on this board by a few...

prime examples are the butters that claim anti-discrimination laws infringe on their rights but yet cant tell us the rights or SSM infringes on their rights and its being "forced on them" but again cant name an actual right . .

if you disagree then tell me what you think those peoples problems are then? is it just pure bigotry and hate then?

again those nutters are rare but this nails them to a tee!

And, when you're used to being the victim, equality can seem like an insult.

All this anger we see from people screaming “All Lives Matter” in response to black protesters at rallies.

How do you expect people to feel when they are face to face with a blatantly racist organization?

All this anger we see from people insisting that their “religious freedom” is being infringed because a gay couple wants to get married.

The "religious freedom" issue was about a baker or other privately owned business being forced to cater to a gay wedding, when participating in such is against their religious beliefs... Not about the marriage itself.

All these people angry about immigrants, angry about Muslims

That would be illegal immigrants and Muslim terrorists.

When you can't get half way through the first paragraph without encountering blatant dishonesty, it pretty much invalidates anything the writer has to say and renders the entire article a colossal waste of time for any honest person to bother with.

I checked my privilege the other day; it was right where I left it, thankfully.

SJWs don't want equality; they want, ironically enough, special privileges for some groups.

And, when you're used to being the victim, equality can seem like an insult.

yep, I agree there are those out there that are like that too, they are even a smaller minority than the nutters that want to do the oppression but those people do in fact exist :shrug:

1.) How do you expect people to feel when they are face to face with a blatantly racist organization?
2.)The "religious freedom" issue was about a baker or other privately owned business being forced to cater to a gay wedding, when participating in such is against their religious beliefs... Not about the marriage itself.
3.)That would be illegal immigrants and Muslim terrorists.
4.)When you can't get half way through the first paragraph without encountering blatant dishonesty, it pretty much invalidates anything the writer has to say and renders the entire article a colossal waste of time for any honest person to bother with.

1.) I dont expect anything from people with irrational views . . . also youll have to be more specific to your claims and opinions
2.) thank you this is a perfcet example of the OP and why its so true for people with views like yours.
Im christian myself and Zero bakers, i repeat ZERO bakers were "FORCED" to participate in any wedding and ZERO bakers were "FORCED" to go against their religious beliefs LMAO
you posint lies and saying otherwise is a perfect example though your made up oppression, thank you again
3.) the blog doenst mention those so please save your strawman for a thread about that topic. there are infact people upset about immigrants and muslims PERIOD.
4.) Reminds me of your posts . . .but the blog did not contain any. But if you disagree point out the dishonesty and factually prove it, thanks :popcorn2:

SJWs don't want equality; they want, ironically enough, special privileges for some groups.

there is a small minority that do want that, even smaller than the nutters that are trying to oppress them . . luckily they are losing too just like the nutters trying to oppress them. :)

Doesnt change the fact that this describes some of the nutters perfectly

Using the term "privilege" will do nothing but get pushback from those that this accuses of said privilege. I'm not too sure that it's the correct term either - maybe discussing it from a point of culture would be both more accurate and less enraging. I guarantee you that those being discussed don't feel and have never felt privileged. I don't see it as a privilege, as much as it is a cultural norm that is changing within our culture as a whole which tends to put in question long held beliefs within our overall culture. Therefore, I would propose that we discuss it from a standpoint of culture, a part (sub-culture, although a very large portion) of our overall national and social culture that trains the youth within that sub-culture that certain groups of people are evil, or less than normal, or even less than human in some instances, then we may can discuss the root cause rather than have them bow up, recoil, and immediately go into a defensive mode summarily ending any potential for discussion, much less progress.

Also, I've never felt it was productive, accurate, or reasonable to lump all the positions listed above into one group as if agreeing even minimally with one element makes you guilty of supporting all elements without reservation or qualification. For instance, and this describes me, to be upset with the current situation with illegal immigration and having little to no patience for those that broke our laws to enter this country, is in no way descriptive or defining of how I feel about legal immigration or those that enter our country legally and become important contributors to our society and enrich our cultural mix as a nation.

So, although I can understand and agree in principle with the idea of 'When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’ I do not agree that using that terminology is as accurate as we need to be nor will it lead to any change in culture, but rather do the opposite and lead to more angst and anger on each side.

Using the term "privilege" will do nothing but get pushback from those that this accuses of said privilege. I'm not too sure that it's the correct term either - maybe discussing it from a point of culture would be both more accurate and less enraging. I guarantee you that those being discussed don't feel and have never felt privileged. I don't see it as a privilege, as much as it is a cultural norm that is changing within our culture as a whole which tends to put in question long held beliefs within our overall culture. Therefore, I would propose that we discuss it from a standpoint of culture, a part (sub-culture, although a very large portion) of our overall national and social culture that trains the youth within that sub-culture that certain groups of people are evil, or less than normal, or even less than human in some instances, then we may can discuss the root cause rather than have them bow up, recoil, and immediately go into a defensive mode summarily ending any potential for discussion, much less progress.

Also, I've never felt it was productive, accurate, or reasonable to lump all the positions listed above into one group as if agreeing even minimally with one element makes you guilty of supporting all elements without reservation or qualification. For instance, and this describes me, to be upset with the current situation with illegal immigration and having little to no patience for those that broke our laws to enter this country, is in no way descriptive or defining of how I feel about legal immigration or those that enter our country legally and become important contributors to our society and enrich our cultural mix as a nation.

So, although I can understand and agree in principle with the idea of 'When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’ I do not agree that using that terminology is as accurate as we need to be nor will it lead to any change in culture, but rather do the opposite and lead to more angst and anger on each side.

Hush CIS white male! #CheckYourPrivelege

1.)Using the term "privilege" will do nothing but get pushback from those that this accuses of said privilege. I'm not too sure that it's the correct term either - maybe discussing it from a point of culture would be both more accurate and less enraging.

2.)I guarantee you that those being discussed don't feel and have never felt privileged.

3.)I don't see it as a privilege, as much as it is a cultural norm that is changing within our culture as a whole which tends to put in question long held beliefs within our overall culture. Therefore, I would propose that we discuss it from a standpoint of culture, a part (sub-culture, although a very large portion) of our overall national and social culture that trains the youth within that sub-culture that certain groups of people are evil, or less than normal, or even less than human in some instances, then we may can discuss the root cause rather than have them bow up, recoil, and immediately go into a defensive mode summarily ending any potential for discussion, much less progress.

4.)Also, I've never felt it was productive, accurate, or reasonable to lump all the positions listed above into one group as if agreeing even minimally with one element makes you guilty of supporting all elements without reservation or qualification.

5.)For instance, and this describes me, to be upset with the current situation with illegal immigration and having little to no patience for those that broke our laws to enter this country, is in no way descriptive or defining of how I feel about legal immigration or those that enter our country legally and become important contributors to our society and enrich our cultural mix as a nation.

6.) So, although I can understand and agree in principle with the idea of 'When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression’ I do not agree that using that terminology is as accurate as we need to be nor will it lead to any change in culture, but rather do the opposite and lead to more angst and anger on each side.

1.) that an interesting point . . .why does it get push back though? Ive been told that and I dont push back i see how obvious it is. I also think its a word that makes sense. There COULD be a better word I agree but I dont understand the push back. All i have to go by is my personal experience though. that term generated no push back from me.

2.) that really doestn matter thous does it? I dont feel privileges myself, thats does not have to be the case for that word to be accurate. ONe can feel their privilege but they dont have to for it to exists. In fact part of taking it for granted is the issue and we are all guilty of it in many ways at times. Heck simply being an american has its privileges . . But IMO the majority of normal people can simply understand it when tasked too. they don't push back.

3.) again and when this is done many times it fails because the vast majority of those that push back, will always push back. We have seen it time and time again and when it comes to RIGHTS and FREEDOMS i see about ZERO logical reasons to drag ones feet on issues because of the hurt feelings of a few. Not when its about RIGHTS. In other cases of course but when one does not have equal rights or their rights are being infringed, catering to misguided feelings to drag out and continue the violation or denial is not logical to me in anyway. I have things I dont agree with and dont like myself, I would NEVER let my feelings be the decided to deny other rights or infringe on them.

4.) this sounds 100% reasonable, i myself hate grouping things together and state that often here nobody who people are grouping together. So youll have to be more specific and tell me what group you think should be together please.

5.) ok I guess scratch my question about but the article address those that dont like immigration period, not illegal immigration. am I mistake about that? please correct me if i am. Those things are not the same.

6.) thank you for your opinioni. VERY GOOD POST BTW:applaud . . .I dont share your view of the term but your questions and concerns are LOGICAL . . .but I also dont think changing the term will fix anything. Theres a small percentage of people that are BROKEN and they dont believe in equal rights, theres an even smaller percentage that want more than equal rights. Those people are broken too and I HIGHLY dobt that the word privilege would "fix" them. Again not saying your concerns of the situation arent rational, they are, i just dont see it as a reality based contributing problem/solution. I think those people stay broken no matter the terminology. How about you?

another interesting phenomenon that also proves the OP to be spot on is one or two posters INSTANTLY singled out and associated this with "race" (particularly white privilege) and the blog did not suce thing. It mentioned race, religion, immigration, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity etc.

But there was a knew jerk reaction by some about WHITE/BLACK and them some about ILLEGAL immigration which was not mentioned...

again showing the OP is spot on and some people cant even read common sense and logic like this without leaping into defensive mode and claiming the Blog is saying something its not.

just like for example gay marriage, the nutters claim it violates their rights to religion when it doesn't nothing of the sort in anyway . . Very good blog indeed and perfect example of SOME people

another interesting phenomenon that also proves the OP to be spot on is one or two posters INSTANTLY singled out and associated this with "race" (particularly white privilege) and the blog did not suce thing. It mentioned race, religion, immigration, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity etc.

But there was a knew jerk reaction by some about WHITE/BLACK and them some about ILLEGAL immigration which was not mentioned...

again showing the OP is spot on and some people cant even read common sense and logic like this without leaping into defensive mode and claiming the Blog is saying something its not.

just like for example gay marriage, the nutters claim it violates their rights to religion when it doesn't nothing of the sort in anyway . . Very good blog indeed and perfect example of SOME people

Its obvious what the OP intended.

Back
Top Bottom