• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your vote doesnt matter.

Simpletruther

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is a mathematical reality except for incredibly rare exceptions.

The odds are millions to 1 that you sitting home on election day make any difference at all to the outcome of elections, with the exception of the local dog catcher election, in Which case the odds drop to thousands to 1.

This is the reality. You can protest, you can cry, you can get emotional and Indignant. It matters not to the reality.

It's one reason I respect the protest voter who votes 3rd party over the crap choices we get year after year.

In The big picture, it sends a message for change.

The odds are millions to 1 that you sitting home on election day make any difference at all to the outcome of elections, with the exception of the local dog catcher election, in Which case the odds drop to thousands to 1.

This is the reality. You can protest, you can cry, you can get emotional and Indignant. It matters not to the reality.

It's one reason I respect the protest voter who votes 3rd party over the crap choices we get year after year.

The Ruling Class loves you. Let them have all the power.

Our local elections were determined by less than a hundred votes in 2021.

Our county elections by less than 1K

A state senate race in NJ last year was won by less than 3K votes - with Ed Durr, a trucker, taking out the long time Senate President Steve Sweeney.

The governor of NJ race in 2021 was determined by less than 84K votes.

The 2000 election for POTUS came down to less than 600 votes in FL.

Your personal POTUS vote may have very little impact in some states, but holds INCREDIBLE weight in others.

It is your choice to sit on a couch, but don’t say that it isn’t a choice.

change happens with any new candidate/winner..........................Why is "change" always the cry???? If you 'change' that guy staring at you in the mirror, you will affect 'change' 1000 more than changing a politician.....

change happens with any new candidate/winner..........................Why is "change" always the cry???? If you 'change' that guy staring at you in the mirror, you will affect 'change' 1000 more than changing a politician.....
That is true, but it doesnt alter my point.

Our local elections were determined by less than a hundred votes in 2021.

Our county elections by less than 1K

A state senate race in NJ last year was won by less than 3K votes - with Ed Durr, a trucker, taking out the long time Senate President Steve Sweeney.

The governor of NJ race in 2021 was determined by less than 84K votes.

The 2000 election for POTUS came down to less than 600 votes in FL.

Your personal POTUS vote may have very little impact in some states, but holds INCREDIBLE weight in others.

It is your choice to sit on a couch, but don’t say that it isn’t a choice.
Your examples are meaningless because they were not decided by one vote. My point stands.

It's just math.

I was with you till the last sentence.

We are one out of 7.x billion people currently alive. I've wondered if there are estimates for how many humans have ever lived.

I was with you till the last sentence.

We are one out of 7.x billion people currently alive. I've wondered if there are estimates for how many humans have ever lived.
The threat of 3rd party split forces politicians to adjust their message. The bigger the threat,the more the message is adjusted. The more people that vote 3rrd party, the bigger the threat.

It's not just a mathematical reality, it's also how power works, especially in the richest country ever, and probably the most powerful country ever. El Presidente doesn't even have all that much power.

The threat of 3rd party split forces politicians to adjust their message. The bigger the threat,the more the message is adjusted. The more people that vote 3rrd party, the bigger the threat.

"You made me [campaign] promises, promises, you knew you'd never keep"

Simple Minds

Your vote won't swing a election but politicians look at the percentage results to get a feel of what the populous actually wants. This is especially true with spending packages. If the dollar amounts are grossly too high voters will reject them in a landslide. Next time around they'll ask for substantially less. Your vote send a message even if you've pick the losing side.

Your vote won't swing a election but politicians look at the percentage results to get a feel of what the populous actually wants. This is especially true with spending packages. If the dollar amounts are grossly too high voters will reject them in a landslide. Next time around they'll ask for substantially less. Your vote send a message even if you've pick the losing side.
Exactly. So voting 3rd party sends a signal for change.

Then don’t vote.

That’s your choice.

But it’s not cool to try to convince other people NOT to vote
I didn't so that. I suggest vote 3rd party or your conscience.

"You made me [campaign] promises, promises, you knew you'd never keep"

Simple Mind
Politicians lie sure. But still, there are limits. More pressure lowers the limits.

Still voting.

Still voting.
Good for you. Just do not think it matters to the outcome.

And do t think that being "practical" or realistic with your choice makes a difference either.

Back
Top Bottom