• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your Money's No Good Here

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

U.S. Park Service Says to Leave Your Cash at Home, but Some Object​

Complaints have been mounting on social media, and now a group has filed a lawsuit, as the service has continued rolling out policies against accepting cash to enter federal parks.

No pay wall.

This strikes me as fundamentally wrong. The government doesn't take cash? C'mon.

This is a trend in private businesses. I don't like it, but private businesses not accepting cash is one thing, when the government won't take its own money...

Complaints have been mounting on social media, and now a group has filed a lawsuit, as the service has continued rolling out policies against accepting cash to enter federal parks.

No pay wall.

This strikes me as fundamentally wrong. The government doesn't take cash? C'mon.

This is a trend in private businesses. I don't like it, but private businesses not accepting cash is one thing, when the government won't take its own money...

I am in agreement. If legal tender should be able to be used to pay anything, it should be able to pay for government services and debts.

No pay wall.

I tend to agree.

That said, I can sympathize. I frequently visit parks and have a sense that many of our parks receive relatively little physical cash per day. However, it is physical currency - it needs to be recorded, secured, transported and deposited, even in small amounts. Therefore, I can imagine an "is the juice worth the squeeze" feeling in many of these parks with respect to physical currency in an age where more and more people opt for electronic transactions. I can imagine the instinctual appeal of all-electronic transactions greatly simplifying a logistical nightmare of transaction logs, safes, daily audits, armored trucks making long journeys to remote sites, etc.

And yet - as you said - it's legal tender. It should be good at a government-managed national park.

I'm conflicted on this.

The government wants to have a database collecting who visits their parks, and a link to their financial institution.

First I heard of this sort of federal activity was:

Previous to this:

The US federal government just going and grabbing more power and more data on the electorate. A rather concerning trend to appears to go unchallenged and unabated.

The government wants to have a database collecting who visits their parks, and a link to their financial institution.

Previous to this:

The US federal government just going and grabbing more power and more data on the electorate. A rather concerning trend to appears to go unchallenged and unabated.
Fascinating conspiracy theory. So, Canada's Emergency Act is being used by the US Federal Government to spy on people who visit national parks! This may be in the running for conspiracy theory of the year. Would you mind elaborating on what other evil shenanigans Canada is up to? Ideally, something involving Mars or the Flat Earth Theory would do.

I would be fine with cash completely going away.

Crazy concept:

There shouldn’t be any charges to enter a National park.

If you want to camp, etc - the reservation should be done online and paid for prior to your arrival.

Park Rangers, etc aren’t cashiers and shouldn’t be collecting any fees nor should they be worried about keeping cash, transporting cash, etc.

Fascinating conspiracy theory. So, Canada's Emergency Act is being used by the US Federal Government to spy on people who visit national parks! This may be in the running for conspiracy theory of the year.
Observing Western democratic government trends of gaining more power over, and more data on, their electorate is not the same thing as a CT.
Your straw-man argument, false equivalency, fails.

Would you mind elaborating on what other evil shenanigans Canada is up to? Ideally, something involving Mars or the Flat Earth Theory would do.
Yet more BS from you. Rather unsurprising.

Previous to this:

Most of us willingly give away all that information on social media and the internet. We have drivers licenses, social security numbers, marriage licenses, grocery club cards, loans, mortgages, car payments, and on and on. The government doesn’t need to collect this kind of data for nefarious purposes, but more likely for administrative purposes. Things like “how many people visit and use the park,” and “how should we allocate fed money and resources based on those stats.”

That said, my real feelings on the matter include “why are we paying to enter a national park, when WE the taxpayers already pay for the parks ultimately anyway?” It might sound logical to some people because in a consumer economy we are used to paying for everything, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

Observing Western democratic government trends of gaining more power over, and more data on, their electorate is not the same thing as a CT.
Your straw-man argument, false equivalency, fails.
The "national parks are trying to spy on citizens, and that's what this is all about" bit is a conspiracy theory. You shouldn't shy away from it. This is one of the most novel and interesting conspiracy theories we've seen from conservatives in years. I believe that with enough investment on your part, it could go viral and potentially even make its way to Tucker's podcast. Imagine, you could own the left and villainize Canada and national parks in one fell swoop. You really ought to run with this one.
Yet more BS from you. Rather unsurprising.
I'm thinking you should use generative AI to create pictures depicting the FBI agents carrying Canadian flags, spying from behind trees on conservative Christian park-goers who have been forced at gunpoint to swipe credit cards to gain admittance.

The "national parks are trying to spy on citizens, and that's what this is all about" bit is a conspiracy theory.
You don't read too well, especially for comprehension.
What part of "Observing Western democratic government trends of gaining more power over, and more data on, their electorate" confuses you?
It's detailed and specific. Is that the part that confuses you?
Or is it multi-word sentences and multi-word concepts which confuse you?
I'm really not sure.

You shouldn't shy away from it. This is one of the most novel and interesting conspiracy theories we've seen from conservatives in years. I believe that with enough investment on your part, it could go viral and potentially even make its way to Tucker's podcast. Imagine, you could own the left and villainize Canada and national parks in one fell swoop. You really ought to run with this one.

I'm thinking you should use generative AI to create pictures depicting the FBI agents carrying Canadian flags, spying from behind trees on conservative Christian park-goers who have been forced at gunpoint to swipe credit cards to gain admittance.
Seems you are the one which has the CT addled mind.

You don't read too well, especially for comprehension.
What part of "Observing Western democratic government trends of gaining more power over, and more data on, their electorate" confuses you?
It's detailed and specific. Is that the part that confuses you?
Or is it multi-word sentences and multi-word concepts which confuse you?
I'm really not sure.
It was the part where you made the magic leap from a couple of rando articles (including one about Canada) to the conspiracy theory about how the federal government is spying on US national park visitors for reasons, on a thread about US national parks. Again, I think you should embrace this. Most conservative conspiracy theories have been fairly bland. Your CT about national parks in contrast is fresh, edgy and just the right amount of crazy and outlandish.
Seems you are the one which has the CT addled mind.
I just want to help you be the best version of conspiracy theorist that you can be. While your CT that this decision by the national parks service to disallow physical currency was in service of a sinister master plan to spy on park visitors, potentially at the behest of Canada, is indeed quite amazing, it can always be improved through the use of visual aids. Remember, words alone aren't going to land you a spot on Tucker's podcast. You need to provide some imagery of the evil federal government spying on hikers. Potentially with Canadian flags on their shoulders.

It was the part where you made the magic leap from a couple of rando articles (including one about Canada) to the conspiracy theory about how the federal government is spying on US national park visitors for reasons, on a thread about US national parks.
If it were only US national parks were the US government is grabbing US citizen's financial data that'd be one thing, but the BOA citation clearly shows that it's not, and it's the entire US government which is going in the same direction.

What we saw in Canada, the government simply 'turning off' their citizen's access to their own money is something which aligns exactly with this administration's goals:

Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) can be 'turn off', deny access to their own money for those which politically displease them, with a mere click of the mouse.
This administration is becoming more totalitarian and more powerful every day.

The US National Parks not accepting cash, legal tender, is just another push into the same direction, which is going to have the same results as we've already seen in Canada.

“A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time the chain was reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. ”

This, I think, an apt metaphor.

Again, I think you should embrace this. Most conservative conspiracy theories have been fairly bland. Your CT about national parks in contrast is fresh, edgy and just the right amount of crazy and outlandish.

I just want to help you be the best version of conspiracy theorist that you can be. While your CT that this decision by the national parks service to disallow physical currency was in service of a sinister master plan to spy on park visitors, potentially at the behest of Canada, is indeed quite amazing, it can always be improved through the use of visual aids. Remember, words alone aren't going to land you a spot on Tucker's podcast. You need to provide some imagery of the evil federal government spying on hikers. Potentially with Canadian flags on their shoulders.
You can stick you head in the sand all you want. One day, it's probably going to bite you in the ass. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't disagree but it has more to do with manning and cost than it does some conspiracy. To use cash requires to count out the drawer, safes, having cash and coin for cash back, drop-offs to banks, etc. There is a different cost to doing business with cash versus card. I agree that cash should be accepted at state and federal establishments as payment options.

Back
Top Bottom