• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you prefer more or fewer public holidays?

I would prefer

• fewer holidays

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • more holidays

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Protestant holidays

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Catholic hoildays

• Jewish holidays

• Islamic holidays

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Hindu holidays

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Buddhist holidays

• other religious holidays

• non-religious holidays

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
There should be a holiday a month. February could have International Allan Day (but you can take it off if you're not Allan). March could be a day off so men can put the snowblower away, only to take it out two more times. May and June should have holidays to prepare for the summer holidays. Some provinces have August off now but the rest should get it off too so other Canadians don't laugh at us.

I'd be for a 'bank' of "holiday time" that employees can use whenever they'd like.

I think there should be a federal "holiday" for voting - where you are guaranteed to be OFF on at least ONE day when voting is open in your area.

Otherwise, I think folks should be able to use any other "holidays" as they see fit.

Want to take off the 4th of July? Use one of your banked days for that. Don't particularly care about the 4th of July and want to use that "day" in February instead? Go right ahead, here is your "holiday" time off bank, use it as you see fit.

But there would be a bare minimum threshold - for EVERYONE. Not simply those that work in government, etc. (NOT saying they should be mandatory paid holidays...but that individuals should have a minimum bank of time for 'holidays' that they can draw from in addition to sick/vacation time)

As someone that spent years waiting tables and bartending - and the daughter of a nurse and firefighter - "holidays" are a joke for anyone in the service industry, the medical profession, or any sort of public servant like police/firefighter/EMT/transportation.

I'd be for a 'bank' of "holiday time" that employees can use whenever they'd like.

I think there should be a federal "holiday" for voting - where you are guaranteed to be OFF on at least ONE day when voting is open in your area.

Otherwise, I think folks should be able to use any other "holidays" as they see fit.

Want to take off the 4th of July? Use one of your banked days for that. Don't particularly care about the 4th of July and want to use that "day" in February instead? Go right ahead, here is your "holiday" time off bank, use it as you see fit.

But there would be a bare minimum threshold - for EVERYONE. Not simply those that work in government, etc. (NOT saying they should be mandatory paid holidays...but that individuals should have a minimum bank of time for 'holidays' that they can draw from in addition to sick/vacation time)

As someone that spent years waiting tables and bartending - and the daughter of a nurse and firefighter - "holidays" are a joke for anyone in the service industry, the medical profession, or any sort of public servant like police/firefighter/EMT/transportation.
So bank International Allan Day and use it in August, when the weather is better.

So bank International Allan Day and use it in August when the weather is better.
Or bank Memorial Day and the 4th of July and use them in February when it is cold, dark, and dreary to take a vacation to somewhere warmer.

Or bank Memorial Day and the 4th of July and use them in February when it is cold, dark, and dreary to take a vacation to somewhere warmer.
For a Canadian 'somewhere warmer' leaves a lot of options.

For example - these are the public holidays in Germany:

When you have the luxury of ignoring the unconditional surrender of your ancestors who rebelled and seceded your state from the U.S.

1664315640945.jpeg

there should be more holidays

at my job we get 12 with some being observed the closest day so id like to ass at least 3 more something in March, April and August and then voting days for about 17 . . . . . this still leaves 15 countries with more holidays than us.

New Year’s Day January 1 (observed closest day)
Martin Luther King’s Birthday 3rd Monday in January
Presidents Day 3rd Monday in February
MARCH OPEN
APRIL OPEN
Memorial Day last Monday in May
Juneteenth National Independence Day June 19
Independence Day July 4 (observed closest day)
AUGUST OPEN
Labor Day 1st Monday in September
Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October
Veterans’ Day November 11 (observed closest day)
Thanksgiving Day 4th Thursday in November and that Friday
Christmas Day December 25 (observed closest day)

Back
Top Bottom