• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you like ELECTION DAY to be a Sunday (or Saturday/Sunday combined), instead of Tuesday ?

Election Day should ...

• Total voters

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We here in Austria vote on Sundays.

Most people have time off from work (unlike in the US, almost all shops and services companies are closed on Sunday, except gas stations for example or restaurants. Police, hospitals, nursing homes of course are open too). And those who work, can request a mail ballot too or go voting during work.

I therefore prefer voting on Sundays, because it's not a deterrent like a weekday for workers (explaining to their boss they need to go voting).

Ideally, the US could use a full weekend to vote + to boost turnout.

Most people have time off from work (unlike in the US, almost all shops and services companies are closed on Sunday, except gas stations for example or restaurants. Police, hospitals, nursing homes of course are open too). And those who work, can request a mail ballot too or go voting during work.

I therefore prefer voting on Sundays, because it's not a deterrent like a weekday for workers (explaining to their boss they need to go voting).

I live in Colorado. Doesn't matter.

The vote-on-Tuesday thing was designed for farmers.

We are no longer a nation of farmers. Not many of us, anyway.

Move voting day to the weekend where it belongs.

Ditto for the dayem Daylight Saving's Time!

In the middle of foobltball season? Watch voter turnout plummet

I voted Saturday AND Sunday. If someone cares more about both college and pro football than our democracy, that's their problem. 🤷‍♂️

It's a useful idea, except where people might have to rely on mass transit, which is often reduced, or in some cases, not available on Sundays

I voted Saturday AND Sunday. If someone cares more about both college and pro football than our democracy, that's their problem. 🤷‍♂️

If someone can't figure out a way to vote on one Tuesday every other year then they don't really care about democracy

wouldn't you need a constitutional amendment? I'm pretty sure it specifies the first tuesday of november for elections.

Ditto for the dayem Daylight Saving's Time!
Actually, it's generally the farmers who Oppose DST. They say their cows don't recognize it.

In my state, New Mexico, employers are required to give employees 3 hours off to vote, unless their work day either starts at least 2 hours after polls open, or ends at least 2 hours after polls close. Is this the common rule, or is it different for the rest of you?

Why not both?

I'd be in favor of a 4-day election window from Saturday through Tuesday. States could also allow more early voting at their discretion, but at least having that 4-day window would allow anyone to vote if they wanted to, without missing other obligations.

Why isn't the question simply Tuesday or not Tuesday? I am sure some people would like Election Day to be on Monday because there have been discussions about making it a national holiday.

I don’t care what day, but it should be a holiday and there should be laws guaranteeing paid time off work to go vote.

It's a useful idea, except where people might have to rely on mass transit, which is often reduced, or in some cases, not available on Sundays
It's a bad idea. A terrible idea! It might make voting easier and that can't be good. High turnout results in democrat wins. We need to make voting as difficult and time-consuming as possible. That is the whole point of limiting early voting, mail-in votes, purging voter rolls right before elections, closing polling places, and voter ID laws. /s

I would go Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
And make Monday a National Holiday.
And expand mail in voting.
The state I live does all mail in voting for all elections and it starts 2 weeks before election day.
It works very well, Democrats and Republicans both like it.

If someone can't figure out a way to vote on one Tuesday every other year then they don't really care about democracy

Says the guy who worries about missing his football if he had to vote on a Saturday/Sunday. :rolleyes:

Take a moment to stop and think why it was put on Tuesday and for whom...

Which weekend?

Voting should be as easy as possible for as many people as possible. I don't see any reason why we need to have a single fixed "election day" at all. Give a week or so to cast your vote in person and guarantee voting by mail for every registered voter as well.

I say the right should choose the optimum time that the left is unable to make it to the polls and then institute just THAT particular time. If we are going to be blamed for inhibiting the left from voting we might as well really do it. Not that it matters, because so much of the country is so sick and tired of the "do nothing except be vindictive" democrats that no decent people will ever vote for them again. The democrats are making even Trump look better and better as time passes.

I would go Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
And make Monday a National Holiday.
And expand mail in voting.
The state I live does all mail in voting for all elections and it starts 2 weeks before election day.
It works very well, Democrats and Republicans both like it.
I am all for expanding mail in voting, as long as there is no way to verify if the vote is legitimate. That way, if Joe Biden does get chosen to run again even if 75% of the entire country can't stand him as POTUS, he is guaranteed to get at least 400 million votes without ever opening his mouth to make a stupid gaff.

Back
Top Bottom