• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would you die for your country?

Would you die for your country?

• Yes

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters
Duke said:
You are calling JFK a conservative? :2rofll: :2rofll: :2rofll:

You are going to have to define country, then. In some aspects, I would gladly die for my country.
You will have to be more specific.

Duke

To me anyone that is for tax cuts and is pro life is pretty conservative to me......

AlbqOwl said:
I'm sorry you have such a pessimistic view of the American system. If I felt the way you do about my country, I would definitely be seeking out one more to my liking. I happen to think we do pretty darn well all things considered. And I prefer to appreciate the good that exists and appreciate the years of blood, treasure, and intellect that went into accomplishing it. If we all use the brains God gave us and do our part, we have a system that makes challenging authority unnecessary. That is the beauty of it. And what makes us free.

Its sad but some people don't know and will never know how good they have it here in the USA.......

jamesrage said:
Not all democrats are liberals.
Not all republicans are conservative.

Wow, how long did it take you to figure that one out?
Don't go telling that to me.
JFK was by no means a conservative, anyway.

Duke

TimmyBoy said:
I wouldn't be getting too comfortable with the system if I was you.

Why, do you advocate overthrow of the government?

Navy Pride said:

Oh, I get it. He thinks that you shouldn't get too comfortable with the government, so he simply must be advocating the overthrow of the government. It makes perfect sense. Yep.

Duke

Duke said:
Oh, I get it. He thinks that you shouldn't get too comfortable with the government, so he simply must be advocating the overthrow of the government. It makes perfect sense. Yep.

Duke

The post wasn't for you but I was trying to see what he was advocating..............Judging from the protests I have seen in San Francisco on CSPAN a lot of people on the far left would advocate overthrow of the government........

Tetracide said:
My exact words were "if your country was at risk, would you die to save it?"

Nothing to do with Iraq, nothing to do with the government, nothing to do with the military, nothing to do with the war on terror. If your country was at risk, would you die to save it?

I think I could help save 'my country' more if I were alive, I don't see what my death would do for the country as a whole.

Navy Pride said:
The post wasn't for you but I was trying to see what he was advocating..............Judging from the protests I have seen in San Francisco on CSPAN a lot of people on the far left would advocate overthrow of the government........

Hardly "a lot of people". Like I said, that's quite a stretch.

Duke

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
then you've never been around a anarchist black block during a war protest, the liberal media doesn't like to show video of **** like that though do they?

Read what you talk about for a change. I said hardly a lot. I know what you are talking about. Compared to the amount of people with opinions on the topic, anarchists and a tiny minority.

Duke

P.S. Liberal Media!!! :2rofll: :2rofll: :2rofll:

cnredd said:
If my President came up to me, Democrat or Republican, Conservative or Liberal, and said, "We need you to perform a duty which will result in certain death, but save this country"...My only reply would be...

"Yes Sir!(or, maybe one day..."Yes, Ma'am!)

It would not be, "It depends whether "I" think it's a good enough reason..."

My reply would be:

"I'm sure you're better qualified to perform that function than I, sir."

I had my turn in the barrel. I've got kids now, my life is no longer mine to throw away. So if this country needs to kill me for salvation, you all had better mark the way to Mecca on your floors.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
My reply would be:

"I'm sure you're better qualified to perform that function than I, sir."

I had my turn in the barrel. I've got kids now, my life is no longer mine to throw away. So if this country needs to kill me for salvation, you all had better mark the way to Mecca on your floors.

The fact they claim it is thus does not make it thus. Kind of like how over 2000 US servicemen have died so Bush could avenge his fathers honor and bring larger dividends to Halliburton's shareholders.

I checked off yes, but I am still not sure. Maybe it comes from not having any kids and no plans to ever have any, but...for one thing, what good would it do me if I'm dead? But being as how that sounds incredibly selfish, let me put it this way: yes, I would go into combat for my country, and put my life on the line. But if you told a platoon of soldiers that, yes, you will die on this mission and there is no chance of survival, I imagine there might be a few deserters and I would be one of them. It's better to be alive and ashamed than dead and justified. At least to me it is. But if death was a risk and not a certainty, then I would take my chances and fight.

hiker said:
I checked off yes, but I am still not sure. Maybe it comes from not having any kids and no plans to ever have any, but...for one thing, what good would it do me if I'm dead? But being as how that sounds incredibly selfish, let me put it this way: yes, I would go into combat for my country, and put my life on the line. But if you told a platoon of soldiers that, yes, you will die on this mission and there is no chance of survival, I imagine there might be a few deserters and I would be one of them. It's better to be alive and ashamed than dead and justified. At least to me it is. But if death was a risk and not a certainty, then I would take my chances and fight.

Fair enough. IMHO it would be better to die honorable than to live a coward. But thats just me.

Vandeervecken said:
The fact they claim it is thus does not make it thus. Kind of like how over 2000 US servicemen have died so Bush could avenge his fathers honor and bring larger dividends to Halliburton's shareholders.

Don't forget the oil with your spin.....:spin:

Navy Pride said:

I wasn't advocating anything ;). You know as well as I do it is against the law to advocate the overthrow of the government. Anything I say can and will be used against me. So I think I will exercise my 5th amendment right to remain silent. I shall remain part of the proverbial "Blue Wall of Silence" heh heh heh.

Anyway, what I did mean by the statement is the government is not to be trusted and they will steal from you blind and use or kill you, even if you have done no wrong. They will also lie to you. Getting too comfortable with an institution that will betray and use you, is not so wise.

But I also know that violence begats violence and it has a deteroriating affect on the rest of society and morality. Violence also sets a bad example to everybody else. Sometimes, you do have to stand and fight. But it should be the absolute last alternative, the only alternative.

Last edited:
TimmyBoy said:
I wasn't advocating anything ;). You know as well as I do it is against the law to advocate the overthrow of the government. Anything I say can and will be used against me. So I think I will exercise my 5th amendment right to remain silent. I shall remain part of the proverbial "Blue Wall of Silence" heh heh heh.

Anyway, what I did mean by the statement is the government is not to be trusted and they will steal from you blind and use or kill you, even if you have done no wrong. They will also lie to you. Getting too comfortable with an institution that will betray and use you, is not so wise.

Well I am glad to hear that at least....A lot of people that think as you do that were at those demonstrations in SF prior to us going into Afghanistan did advocate violence and overthrow of the government....I am glad you condemn that..........

Navy Pride said:
Well I am glad to hear that at least....A lot of people that think as you do that were at those demonstrations in SF prior to us going into Afghanistan did advocate violence and overthrow of the government....I am glad you condemn that..........

Even if the government were to be overthrown, it would be replaced by another one that could be worse or just as violent as the last one. Me personally, I would prefer to see the halt to the use of the death penalty, the halt to abortion as some sort of convient birth control and a foreign policy that is based more on what is moral and just. I am certainly not a saint myself, but our leaders and the government in general must set a good example. The problem is we have leaders who lack integrity and good character in my view and this tends to trickle down to the rest of society.

TimmyBoy said:
Even if the government were to be overthrown, it would be replaced by another one that could be worse or just as violent as the last one. Me personally, I would prefer to see the halt to the use of the death penalty, the halt to abortion as some sort of convient birth control and a foreign policy that is based more on what is moral and just. I am certainly not a saint myself, but our leaders and the government in general must set a good example. The problem is we have leaders who lack integrity and good character in my view and this tends to trickle down to the rest of society.

That is why you get politically active........Elect people that think as you do......

Navy Pride said:
Don't forget the oil with your spin.....:spin:

No spin, just facts. The oil is included in halliburton. You don;t actually buy whatever the latest claim of the Bush administration is do you? They keep changing it.

Back
Top Bottom