• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Windows 10, the verdict

What's pretty idiotic is calling/inferring someone is idiotic when you did not even understand what they said/typed.

I did not say I used the video default player...I just said it sucks. Plus, I did not say that because it sucks that the whole OS sucks.

:roll:

Do you have a comprehension problem? Or do you just read something part way through and make snap judgements? Both questions are rhetorical because I don't really care what your answer(s) is(are).

Try understanding what it is you are commenting about before you comment and you will make less errors.

We are done here...bu bye.

BTW, the old Windows Media Player does an excellent job.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I apologize if you take offense at my characterization of a person connecting windows apps to Windows 10 OS as idiotic.

But, the fact is, this is a thread about the OS. You talk about how lousy the apps are and then go on to talk about the OS. You didn't actually make a distinction between the app and the OS. My thinking you connected the two is perfectly understandable.

If you think I didn't comprehend your post, I contend you don't know how to freaking write in a comprehensive manner.

btw, forget about MS giving you effective apps. They know better stuff is out there...I know better stuff is out there...EVERYBODY knows better stuff is out there (except maybe you). Times change...MS has changed...get used to it.

I'm not one to resist change just because its different but I freaking hate what Microsoft has done since Windows 8. I've even pretty much decided to regrettably switch to Apple for my next computer. However, I do have some reservations, particularity compatibility concerns with existing Windows platform files I might need to access and work related networking into Windows computers.

I have not upgraded to 10 but does anyone have insights to offer? I do not like their tablet interface they're forcing on their customers and just want the traditional start button, the minimize, resize and exit buttons in the top right corners of window; the start button; and the familiar file management scheme where you can access the c: and other drives, create and manage folders, etc.

View attachment 67201403

If you buy Apple you deserve what you get. Windows 8 was the mistake. Windows 8.1 made it miserable but usable. Windows 10 is a good OS. Enjoy Apple and I think the good news is you can still run Windows 10 on your expensive Apple computer. I think you would hate a Linus or a Linux OS. All I really want from and OS is to get to software that does what I want and need consistently and conveniently.

Last edited:
Stable? heheheh

Yes compared to earlier versions of windows.

Far more stable than XP.. by a million miles.

No. XP was actually more stable but not by much.

What do you want to control? Just curious

For one thing I'd like to be able to transfer files from one computer to another when those files are not in the public directory.

Yes it is.

If it is then there is no way to access it on my computer. Perhaps on yours.

Well some apps cant be removed yes, but most can.

At least we agree on that.

For one thing I'd like to be able to transfer files from one computer to another when those files are not in the public directory.

That's a problem for you???

I've been doing that kind of stuff with Win98, WinXP, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 and now with Win10. I'll admit I never tried it with Win95, though.

In fact, I've moved files from computer to android device...and back again.

I'm thinking, perhaps, you just don't know how to operate your computer very well. That's not the fault of the OS, you know.

Interesting on the bold and underlined.. that is not what most experience.. quite the opposite. Windows 10 has a far better memory management system and a lower footprint than Windows 7.

I'm not a game player, but most of my family are. They have all said the exact same thing - win10 game performance is not as good as the same machine running win7.

Yes compared to earlier versions of windows.

Sorry but that does not match my and many others experience and certainly not the experience of the many experts on the net.

Set up a homegroup. Grant access to the folder and it can be done very easily. Right click on the folder > preferences > sharing and you can do quite a bit there.

If it is then there is no way to access it on my computer. Perhaps on yours.

Settings > System > tablet mode.. then you get the whole Windows 8 experience.

But technically once you press on the Windows key or start button that is also Metro interface.

I'm not a game player, but most of my family are. They have all said the exact same thing - win10 game performance is not as good as the same machine running win7.

Modern or old games. Older games can have issues because of compatibility problems.

Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post

There's always been a way to do that easily, we used to call it sneakernet. Easier now than ever before. Grab a flash stick/drive, copy the files, walk over to the destination computer and plug it in. Job done.

If you want to copy to a remote computer - FTP. Easy to use and one of the original internet protocols.

Modern or old games. Older games can have issues because of compatibility problems.

They play the latest modern PC games. The issues are not with compatibility. My son in law is a programmer for Intel. He always has the latest and greatest equipment.

Guess it comes down to the game and what you "feel".. cause

Windows 10 vs. 8.1 vs. 7: Performance | PC Gamer

The result.. Meh :)

No, and by saying so you reveal yourself as a fanboi. As I stated, I don't play games, it's just not what I use a computer for. However, again as stated, I have family who does. These aren't your typical idiot users, they know hardware and software. I have yet to meet any game playing computer professional who thinks win10 runs games better than win7.

No, and by saying so you reveal yourself as a fanboi. As I stated, I don't play games, it's just not what I use a computer for. However, again as stated, I have family who does. These aren't your typical idiot users, they know hardware and software. I have yet to meet any game playing computer professional who thinks win10 runs games better than win7.
A good gamer has to know software and hardware very well.

Maybe your family aren't playing the right games.

In its first month, Windows 10 adoption on Steam passed Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS X, and Linux. After two months, Windows 8.1 was also conquered, leaving just Windows 7. 10 months in, Windows 10 has dethroned Windows 7.

Windows 10 adoption passes Windows 7 on Steam | GamesBeat | Games | by Emil Protalinski

I have one old computer running XP and it has a partition for W98 and DOS
Another computer is Linux only
This one is W7
I have one Keyboard, Monitor and mouse and switch between them with a KVM switch
The best OS for me is XP but I had to have W7 for some reason but I forgot why. Maybe Adobe Premier is why.
Yes I am old :/

I have one old computer running XP and it has a partition for W98 and DOS
Another computer is Linux only
This one is W7
I have one Keyboard, Monitor and mouse and switch between them with a KVM switch
The best OS for me is XP but I had to have W7 for some reason but I forgot why. Maybe Adobe Premier is why.
Yes I am old :/

There's nothing wrong with using different OS's, but you might consider dual-booting your Win7 machine with Win10. After all, it's free.

There's some small things that irk me about Windows 10, but they aren't deal breakers by any stretch of the imagination. I just think they need to sit down and think about it some more.

In particular: Settings v. Control Panel. It seems like the two both overlap and conflict with one another. One (since Windows 8) is clearly designed with the tablet "revolution" in mind, while the other is the Windows mainstay. Settings is certainly more "high maintenance" in the sense that it frequently prompts you, while Control Panel is kind of in the corner. And perhaps it is my imagination, but it seems like Control Panel is much more fleshed out in terms of functionality. Because Windows 8's dual system mentality was painful, Windows 8 clearly needed two different solutions. But with Windows 10, traditional desktop and laptop users don't really need to go over the same dilemma anymore. Nevertheless, both exist in the same desktop environment when it makes more sense to stick with one and make the best of it.

Last edited:
There's some small things that irk me about Windows 10, but they aren't deal breakers by any stretch of the imagination. I just think they need to sit down and think about it some more.

In particular: Settings v. Control Panel. It seems like the two both overlap and conflict with one another. One (since Windows 8) is clearly designed with the tablet "revolution" in mind, while the other is the Windows mainstay. Settings is certainly more "high maintenance" in the sense that it frequently prompts you, while Control Panel is kind of in the corner. And perhaps it is my imagination, but it seems like Control Panel is much more fleshed out in terms of functionality. Because Windows 8's dual system mentality was painful, Windows 8 clearly needed two different solutions. But with Windows 10, traditional desktop and laptop users don't really need to go over the same dilemma anymore. Nevertheless, both exist in the same desktop environment when it makes more sense to stick with one and make the best of it.

Control panel is being phased out. They cant "pull the plug" because of legacy issues. The original Windows 10 settings was very different than the current one, and the one you will get after the anniversary update will change again, adding more functionality. Has it to do with touch? Yes, but also no. Control panel for the average user is a mine field.. even I have problems finding stuff there ever since Vista... hell even during Windows Xp tbh.

I find that almost everything I need to do in a daily basis is far easier to find and do in the settings. However when I need to do specialized things, then the Control Panel comes into play .. once I find it.

For example, Power settings. Settings > Power and Sleep > and you can fiddle with when then screen goes dark and so on. Simple. But there is one issue that is not solved there, and that is CPU power management, and for that you need to go into the Power settings in the control panel. Now I only have to do this once on any laptop, but it still needs to be done, or else Windows will throttle the CPU power (even when plugged in), which sucks.

I looked into this because it pissed me off too.. but found that I rarely had to go into the Control panel because everything I needed was in the settings. It was basically only on a fresh install / new computer I had to go fiddle with stuff like power management of the CPU, or maybe re-partition something, something that 99% of Windows users would never do anyways. So I soon realized what Microsoft wanted to do with the Settings part.. to actually bring the most used consumer focused settings up front instead of burying them deep in the control panel. And for those times that you need to do something that is not in the settings, then in most cases there is a link in settings that open up the control panel aspect that is needed.

You can see that even the control panel is changing. Device Manager is now a dedicated icon, not buried in System.. unless I am mistaken that is new. Why? Because System might be going out the window...?

We shall see with the updates coming over the next few years, as more and more is put in settings.

Control panel is being phased out. They cant "pull the plug" because of legacy issues. The original Windows 10 settings was very different than the current one, and the one you will get after the anniversary update will change again, adding more functionality. Has it to do with touch? Yes, but also no. Control panel for the average user is a mine field.. even I have problems finding stuff there ever since Vista... hell even during Windows Xp tbh.

I find that almost everything I need to do in a daily basis is far easier to find and do in the settings. However when I need to do specialized things, then the Control Panel comes into play .. once I find it.

For example, Power settings. Settings > Power and Sleep > and you can fiddle with when then screen goes dark and so on. Simple. But there is one issue that is not solved there, and that is CPU power management, and for that you need to go into the Power settings in the control panel. Now I only have to do this once on any laptop, but it still needs to be done, or else Windows will throttle the CPU power (even when plugged in), which sucks.

I looked into this because it pissed me off too.. but found that I rarely had to go into the Control panel because everything I needed was in the settings. It was basically only on a fresh install / new computer I had to go fiddle with stuff like power management of the CPU, or maybe re-partition something, something that 99% of Windows users would never do anyways. So I soon realized what Microsoft wanted to do with the Settings part.. to actually bring the most used consumer focused settings up front instead of burying them deep in the control panel. And for those times that you need to do something that is not in the settings, then in most cases there is a link in settings that open up the control panel aspect that is needed.

You can see that even the control panel is changing. Device Manager is now a dedicated icon, not buried in System.. unless I am mistaken that is new. Why? Because System might be going out the window...?

We shall see with the updates coming over the next few years, as more and more is put in settings.

One will hope.

In the meantime, the mess that the Control Panel is (and thank you for mentioning "system" and "device manager"---ever the irritations with my Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier this past quarter) compounded by what is likely going on with Settings.

One will hope.

In the meantime, the mess that the Control Panel is (and thank you for mentioning "system" and "device manager"---ever the irritations with my Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier this past quarter) compounded by what is likely going on with Settings.

But lets be fair here... "settings" in most OS, mobile or not.. are absolutely horrible. The one I hate the most is iOS settings.. a lot of it makes no sense. Control Panel has grown and grown into something that was full of stuff that you never really used, and yet it was there just in case. Personally I would love a settings menu, that you could define yourself... which is what the new settings menu in Windows 10 can.. kinda. You can pin any setting (almost) to the start menu basically which means you can design one yourself.. but still.

But lets be fair here... "settings" in most OS, mobile or not.. are absolutely horrible. The one I hate the most is iOS settings.. a lot of it makes no sense. Control Panel has grown and grown into something that was full of stuff that you never really used, and yet it was there just in case. Personally I would love a settings menu, that you could define yourself... which is what the new settings menu in Windows 10 can.. kinda. You can pin any setting (almost) to the start menu basically which means you can design one yourself.. but still.

I haven't had too many problems with iOS settings, but I have had them.

Windows' problem is that there's so many features you don't know exist, but could no doubt use. And then when you do know what you want to do, you have to remember where you found it. Meanwhile in iOS, you know what you want, because the OS is pretty simple, but you can't find it. As you say, this is because where you think the feature should be, it is actually in another section.

There's nothing wrong with using different OS's, but you might consider dual-booting your Win7 machine with Win10. After all, it's free.
um, no. if you used your existing 7 license for the free 10 upgrade, you cannot reinstall 7 as dual boot using the old 7 license, you will need to buy another 7 copy/license.

um, no. if you used your existing 7 license for the free 10 upgrade, you cannot reinstall 7 as dual boot using the old 7 license, you will need to buy another 7 copy/license.
I do not know if this is true, but it makes sense. You purchased one license, whether it be 7 or upgrade to 10. If you have both for a dual-boot, you'd effectively have 2 licenses.

So, it seems to me that, if you wanted a dual-boot, and 7 is working fine, you'd do best to purchase a new 10 and do a fresh install of 10 alongside 7.

I do not know if this is true, but it makes sense. You purchased one license, whether it be 7 or upgrade to 10. If you have both for a dual-boot, you'd effectively have 2 licenses.
No, you don't. your 7 license was converted to a 10 license. You were granted a "digital entitlement" for the 10 upgrade. Your hardware (mainly the MB/CPU) was fingerprinted and the "license", your PID, is now locked to that hardware fingerprint. MS knows that PID/fingerprint combo and 7 uses the same mechanism. It is even more locked in if you have a MB that uses a UEFI bios. There are some things you can do with older non-UEFI MB's to bypass the fingerprinting, but I'm not saying.

So, it seems to me that, if you wanted a dual-boot, and 7 is working fine, you'd do best to purchase a new 10 and do a fresh install of 10 alongside 7.
Well, you could probably buy a 7 license cheaper, and keep the free 10. The most flexible solution is to buy a retail copy of 10, not oem, because it is transferable to new hardware. Any major change to hardware (CPU or MB) will flag and cause you to get a new "license"/PID on oem installs.

Last edited:

Yeah...you are probably right about that. I don't dual boot so I have no direct experience.

However, I can think of a way around it...it has to do with the fact that MS isn't worrying too much nowadays about people trying to put a single copy of Win7 on multiple devices.

Yeah...you are probably right about that. I don't dual boot so I have no direct experience.

However, I can think of a way around it...it has to do with the fact that MS isn't worrying too much nowadays about people trying to put a single copy of Win7 on multiple devices.
That is not so easy to do if you are dealing with UEFI motherboards, it was easy with older non-UEFI motherboards. Any install of any 7 or newer MS OS is hardware fingerprinted, MS knows what it is...unless you never connected online. Bypassing/cracking XP was a pain, but doable...7/8 was easy on non-UEFI, but UEFI-10 combo is near impossible currently.

Back
Top Bottom