• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Trump Be Forced to Release Returns?

Will Mr. Trump have to release his return now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand your position and it has nothing to do with tax returns and everything to do with protecting a liar, a huckster, a deadbeat and a liberal. Donald Trump does not dare release his tax returns and will continue to refuse. And, the suckers will continue to cover for him.

I understand your position and it has nothing to do with tax returns and everything to do with protecting a liar, a huckster, a deadbeat and a liberal. Donald Trump does not dare release his tax returns and will continue to refuse. And, the suckers will continue to cover for him.

Not sure who you are screaming to the wind at.

But taking you comment by itself. the issue on this thread is tax returns. For some, they believe they will be an indicator of wealth. To a degree, they can be. However, boiled down, all they are is an accounting of gross income, taxable income, and resulting tax burden.

Stomping your feet, and calling people names doesn't change this fact.

Perhaps it would be helpful to learn something about what a tax return is, and save the name calling and foot stomping for a thread that would make such activity look less ridiculous.

Proving what exactly? In their words ...

CharityWatch calculates the percentage of a charity's cash revenue received from government sources for informational purposes for those donors who would like to factor a charity's range of government funding into their giving decisions. Donors should keep in mind that funding from the government does not automatically signal that a charity is well-governed and/or more efficient than other charities.[/B]

We're not talking about Government donations to the Clinton Foundation ... not the USA Government anyway.
I don't think you understand how the Clinton Foundation operates.

What the Clinton Foundation is notorious for is getting donations from Foreign sources with business interests in and out of the USA but commonly with connections to foreign dictators/oligarchs.
They buy Bill Clinton's influence through donations to the Clinton Foundation which are typically paired with Bill's lucrative speaking engagements while, either before or afterwards, Hillary gives her imprimatur (in the Senate & State Dept.) to the projects that require it.

Pay for play is not just an empty expression.

As for what the Clinton Foundation actually does, it's a pass-through for big bucks. It doesn't actually perform charitable works. It could just deliver truckloads of cash to existing charities that actually would perform the services but they don't. The Clinton Foundation brings in their own people to do what needs to be done in order to say they did it but the money flows.

The Clinton Foundation is a money laundering operation and a contingent source of Clinton income.

Proving what exactly? In their words ...

CharityWatch calculates the percentage of a charity's cash revenue received from government sources for informational purposes for those donors who would like to factor a charity's range of government funding into their giving decisions. Donors should keep in mind that funding from the government does not automatically signal that a charity is well-governed and/or more efficient than other charities.[/B]

We're not talking about Government donations to the Clinton Foundation ... not the USA Government anyway.
I don't think you understand how the Clinton Foundation operates.

What the Clinton Foundation is notorious for is getting donations from Foreign sources with business interests in and out of the USA but commonly with connections to foreign dictators/oligarchs.
They buy Bill Clinton's influence through donations to the Clinton Foundation which are typically paired with Bill's lucrative speaking engagements while, either before or afterwards, Hillary gives her imprimatur (in the Senate & State Dept.) to the projects that require it.

Pay for play is not just an empty expression.

As for what the Clinton Foundation actually does, it's a pass-through for big bucks. It doesn't actually perform charitable works. It could just deliver truckloads of cash to existing charities that actually would perform the services but they don't. The Clinton Foundation brings in their own people to do what needs to be done in order to say they did it but the money flows.

The Clinton Foundation is a money laundering operation and a contingent source of Clinton income.
Where Does Clinton Foundation Money Go?

That's what I said.

"As for what the Clinton Foundation actually does, it's a pass-through for big bucks. It doesn't actually perform charitable works. It could just deliver truckloads of cash to existing charities that actually would perform the services but they don't. The Clinton Foundation brings in their own people to do what needs to be done in order to say they did it but the money flows."

Let's leave aside the wisdom of FactCheck relying on whatever the Clinton Foundation people told them.
If you can read something like:
"Charity Navigator: We had previously evaluated this organization, but have since determined that this charity’s atypical business model can not be accurately captured in our current rating methodology. ..."
and not ask yourself what the hell is up with that, then you're likely not able to be influenced by the truth.

And there are stories about the value of what the Clinton people actually did ... iow, it wasn't worth the price paid.
Why not hunt some of those stories down if you're interested in more than what they want you to hear.

Trump can't be forced to release his tax returns. There is no enforcement tool, thankfully for us.

Not surprising at all.

To fight Trump, journalists have dispensed with objectivity ...

Oh noes, the media is actually doing their job and holding a presidential candidate's feet to the fire! What are we going to do! :mrgreen:

Greetings, Cardinal. :2wave:

Since the IRS is apparently auditing him, I leave it up to them to determine whether or not his return is accurate,

The audit is irrelevant. It only became relevant when Trump said it was, and when his supporters agreed with him so he wouldn't have to release his tax return. And let's be honest here. He could have said "I'll release my tax return when Xenu returns to cleanse us of our excess thetans" and his supporters would have nodded and said, "Yeah, sure, makes sense to me."

and since it's his choice to share his return with anyone who cares to know, is his to decide, IMO. BTW, when did it become a national race to see who is worthy to run for President based on how much - or little - one pays in taxes on the money they have? If it is that important, why hasn't it become a legal requirement long ago? :shock:

Um, you realizee that he based his expertise on being rich and successful, right? Do you not think it's a little odd that he bases his expertise on being rich and successful, and then does everything in his power to make sure you're completely unable to quantify that wealth?

Let me put it to you another way: Let's say I run for President on the basis that I'm a brilliant basketball player. Would you not think it a little odd if I then refused to shoot a single hoop for the camera, or if you asked me to and I told you it was none of your business?

In any case let's not get confused about what I want here. Trump is a lunatic, and by playing these games with his wealth he's sowing distrust outside of his immediate followers. It's helping to tank his campaign, and I'm happy about that. The worst possible thing that could happen, as far as I'm concerned, is if he released his tax returns and showed himself to be as honest as the day is long.

Of course, we know that's not going to happen, don't we?

Oh noes, the media is actually doing their job and holding a presidential candidate's feet to the fire! What are we going to do! :mrgreen:

That would be nice.

If Donald Trump does not release his tax returns he will have the Trumpkin vote. The faithful that Donald Trump calls "my people" will stick with him no matter what but they aren't close to enough to win an election. Of course, there are those who think the Democrat Donald Trump is just a stalking horse for Hillary. There are those who think he'll be delighted with a Clinton win and then he and the Clintons can go back to being friends and co-conspirators.

"Federal privacy rules prohibit the IRS from discussing individual tax matters. Nothing prevents individuals from sharing their own tax information," a spokesperson for the IRS said in a statement.

Donald Trump will never release his tax returns because it would lay bare that he is a con man. If you haven't noticed by now, Trump has a problem with telling the truth.
A few days ago, the Chicago Tribune had a good piece about how Trump struggles with the truth even when he is under oath.

Even under oath, Donald Trump struggled with the truth - Chicago Tribune

The upside. Well, if the tax return substantiate his claim as to his wealth that would be an upside, wouldn't it? I suppose his tax return could help prove his the business genius he claims to be. The would be an upside, too. His tax return might show that he's as honest as he's tried to pretend to be. That would be an upside, too.

Of course, as a liberal, he no more has to release the tax returns than President Obama had to allow his school records to be released.

Even though he's a liberal Democrat, Donald Trump is running as a Republican so he doesn't get quite the treatment from the liberal media that most Democrats expect.

Since when have you ever seen a tax return reflect somebody's wealth?

No, he won't. I think he believes that he dare not release his tax returns, because we'd find that either he doesn't have anywhere near the money he keeps claiming...or he's got more financial interests with Russia than we know...or he hasn't been giving anything to charity as he claims he has. Or a combination of the three.

Are you another one that thinks a tax return lists a persons wealth?

One of two things will happen should he release them and both will be equally as damaging: (A) Michael Bloomberg will be vindicated and we will see that Trump is a liar and not worth anywhere close to the boastful claims he's made or (B)The public will be privy to all of his unscrupulous tax shelters and questionable accounts revealing him as the hypocrite that he is and crushing his "populist" image.

And here is number three.

He will not be forced to release his tax return, he will not release it, and he should be defeated for not releasing his tax return, in addition to just being ignorant of foreign policy.

It has become a requirement for candidates for president to release their tax returns so the public can see what conflicts of interest they may have as they wield the power of state. To fail to recognize that is to disqualify oneself in the eyes of the public. To fail to realize that is just to re-state how tone deaf and egotistical Trump is; I don't have to play by conventional rules, even if they are there for a good reason, I'm Trump!

Are you another one that thinks a tax return lists a persons wealth?

Are you another one who thinks that the amount of income prior to any deductions, the properties owned (and the depreciation thereof), the amount of capital gains taxes owed, the expenses claimed on employees, and reams of other information found on an uber-rich person's tax forms wouldn't combine to be a good indicator of how rich a person is or is not?

Since when have you ever seen a tax return reflect somebody's wealth?

I don't read people's tax returns. But, I have read that outfits such as Forbes can make some valid assumptions about wealth from income. If you're claiming to be worth $10 billion and have $200 million coming in, it might raise some questions such as what bogus value are you placing on your family name.

I really think people should wait till the returns are released and not jump the gun protecting Donald ahead of time. Perhaps, he doesn't need minions covering for him this time. It's possible.

No, because he cannot be forced.

Back
Top Bottom