• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why would gay couples want their union to be called "marriage?"

tosca1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There's so many debates about the rights of gays to be married, changing the definition of marriage, etc..,

But what I want to know.....why do gay couples want their union to be called marriage? I mean, if it causes so much angst and resentment on both sides, why wouldn't they just coin another word for their union - and lobby to have the same benefits that comes along with being married?

This doesn't really have anything to do with gays and marriage - you can have a formalized union how ever you may want it called, celebrated just like any weddings. This has more to do with the gay movement agenda.

Smash the Church, Smash the State!
The Early Years of Gay Liberation
http://www.citylights.com/book/?GCOI=87286100736280

Last edited:
There's so many debates about the rights of gays to be married, changing the definition of marriage, etc..,

But what I want to know.....why do gay couples want their union to be called marriage? I mean, if it causes so much angst and resentment on both sides, why wouldn't they just coin another word for their union - and lobby to have the same benefits that comes along with being married?

social acceptance

This doesn't really have anything to do with gays and marriage - you can have a formalized union how ever you may want it called, celebrated just like any weddings. This has more to do with the gay movement agenda.

Smash the Church, Smash the State!, The Early Years of Gay Liberation

Why did blacks want to drink out of the same drinking fountains as whites? They weren't being deprived of water?
Why did blacks want to sit in the front of the bus? They weren't being denied transportation?

social acceptance

I'm sorry Oscar but I did add some more in my OP.

Social acceptance? I think they'd be more accepted by the religious folks if they don't try to muscle in on the traditional definition of marriage, and instead they just coin their new name for their union. Wouldn't it be more reflective of PRIDE if they've got their very own name for their union?

Its activism and Obama and his ilk have taken to " evolution"...lol..and now support their cause.

I never saw Obama as a man with character, nor the Clintons.

Turns out everything he believes in is for sale

Because marriage is about getting the same benefits and social acceptance and equality.

I'm sorry Oscar but I did add some more in my OP.

Social acceptance? I think they'd be more accepted by the religious folks if they don't try to muscle in on the traditional definition of marriage, and instead they just coin their new name for their union. Wouldn't it be more reflective of PRIDE if they've got their very own name for their union?

if they have a separate name, then it is not "the same" and does not give the same acceptance that calling it "marriage" does. "separate but equal is never equal" is a big arguement from the SSM side.

I have seen SSM supporters argue that a union equal in everything but name is not good enough.

Because marriage is about getting the same benefits and social acceptance
and equality.

its not the Govt's job to force equity especially when "equality" is arbitrary

Huh? It is gays being persecuted. No one is asking religions to change.

really? religions are being asked to accept unions that a contrary to their teachings.

its not the Govt's job to force equity especially when "equality" is arbitrary

So its not the "govs job" then why have they done so in the past especially when it comes to civil rights?

really? religions are being asked to accept unions that a contrary to their teachings.

No there not.
kbf2go.png

if they have a separate name, then it is not "the same" and does not give the same acceptance that calling it "marriage" does. "separate but equal is never equal" is a big arguement from the SSM side.

I have seen SSM supporters argue that a union equal in everything but name is not good enough.

Blacks felt the same way during the civil rights movements of the 50's-60's. Seperate but equal is never equal.

But what I want to know.....why do gay couples want their union to be called marriage?

Given that the union they desire would posses all the requisite qualities of marriage, why wouldn't they?

Why did blacks want to drink out of the same drinking fountains as whites? They weren't being deprived of water?
Why did blacks want to sit in the front of the bus? They weren't being denied transportation?

That would be in the assumption that same-sex coupling is normal and moral. And we know that a lot of us don't think it is normal nor moral. The comparison between blacks and gays is not legitimate.

Smash the Church, Smash the State!, The Early Years of Gay Liberation

Marriage is an important traditional event validating a union in their own eyes and society. It's more than just an informal or convenient arrangement, it's a statement about a bond that speaks volumes to the rest of the world that goes back thousands of years.

Religious or simply homophobic people are well aware of the symbolic importance of the concept of marriage, which is why they're trying to deny it to undesirables, content to let them have "marriage lite" instead.

Blacks felt the same way during the civil rights movement. Seperate but equal is never equal.

That would be in the assumption that same-sex coupling is normal and moral. And we know that a lot of us don't think it is normal nor moral. The comparison between blacks and gays is not legitimate.

There are a lot of people who STILL think that inter-racial coupling is abnorman and immoral. WHO's morals are you basing it on?

So its not the "govs job" then why have they done so in the past
especially when it comes to civil rights?

The 1964 Civil Rights Act didn't gaurantee of even force "equality".

Equality is up to the individual.

You are entitled to YOUR views. However, you are not entitled to legislate your views on others. Your right to your views ends when it directly affects another person.

But what I want to know.....why do gay couples want their union to be called marriage?

Why do some straight couples insist on trying to prevent a very select few from using one simple word?

How much money do you think it would cost to change all the legal, medical, and social forms in existence to include a new word?

And what do you propose that new word should be?

The 1964 Civil Rights Act didn't gaurantee of even force "equality".

Equality is up to the individual.

Uhhh yes it did.
Outlawed discrimination, ended the action of unequal application of voter registration requirements, ended racial segregation at school and the workplace and various other facilities that served the public.

Back
Top Bottom