• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why we are on course for a long-term war with China

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
That broader conflict is playing out where so much of our lives now take place: somewhere in the miniaturized guts of cellphones. China has been using its commercial leverage to spread its own wireless equipment around the world to extend its influence and control. And Beijing isn’t coy about its ambitions: They are codified in its Made in China 2025 policy, announced in 2015 and restated since.

The battleground is “5G” — the next generation in wireless communications. 5G isn’t just a faster version of 4G; it is qualitatively different. Currently, wireless phone calls are routed through cell towers. With 5G, that link will be nearly direct, cellphone to cellphone. As a result, 5G will have many positive applications. It is crucial for the advancement of technologies such as autonomous cars that will need to communicate with each other as they move down the highway. But it also creates the potential for much more precise levels of surveillance by governments and potential bad actors.

Huawei, founded by Ren Zhengfei, Meng’s father and a former member of the Chinese military, just this year outstripped Apple in smartphone sales. Backed by Beijing, it has for some time been aggressively selling 5G products around the world, alarming the U.S. national-security establishment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...lision-course-with-us/?utm_term=.e3b905170ab2

Companies like Apple and Tesla need to stop producing their products in China. Manufacturing in the enemies playground is dangerous where the laws are much different.

Too many U.S companies are trying to expand their influence in China... that's a problem. I guess with Starbucks and KFC they do not care so much but there is a reason why Facebook and Google are banned in that country.

Last edited:
It's an economic war, that quite frankly I doubt can be won. You can't beat 1.2B consumers coming online.

China currently has an exponentially growing 400M consumer middle-class, that dwarf's America's shrinking middle-class of 150M. Their burgeoning consumer vehicle market is nearly twice the size of America's, and also growing exponentially.

How do you get away from that?

It's an economic war, that quite frankly I doubt can be won. You can't beat 1.2B consumers coming online.

China currently has an exponentially growing 400M consumer middle-class, that dwarf's America's shrinking middle-class of 150M. Their burgeoning consumer vehicle market is nearly twice the size of America's, and also growing exponentially.

How do you get away from that?

John Bolton outlined a strategy yesterday that I found interesting:

Mr. Bolton’s speech, at the Heritage Foundation, was his latest effort to flesh out what Mr. Trump’s “America First” foreign policy means for particular regions. In Africa, he said, the greatest threat came not from poverty or Islamist extremism but from an expansionist China, as well as Russia.

“They are deliberately and aggressively targeting their investments in the region to gain a competitive advantage over the United States,” Mr. Bolton said. “China uses bribes, opaque agreements and the strategic use of debt to hold states in Africa captive to Beijing’s wishes and demands.”

Mr. Bolton announced a new program, “Prosper Africa,” to support American investment across Africa. Without attaching a dollar figure, he said the United States would facilitate alternatives to the large, state-directed public works projects pushed by the Chinese.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/us/politics/john-bolton-africa-china.html

By investing in Africia, we can curb the growth in China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...lision-course-with-us/?utm_term=.e3b905170ab2

Companies like Apple and Tesla need to stop producing their products in China. Manufacturing in the enemies playground is dangerous where the laws are much different.

Too many U.S companies are trying to expand their influence in China... that's a problem. I guess with Starbucks and KFC they do not care so much but there is a reason why Facebook and Google are banned in that country.
So, Trump is a nationalist and now you want it nationalize US corporations? Fascinating! Tell me more.

So, Trump is a nationalist and now you want it nationalize US corporations? Fascinating! Tell me more.

Are you aware of Micron and the Chinese stealing their trade secrets?

Back
Top Bottom