• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why should age even matter?

All I hear is that old people are more vulnerable than young people in regards to covid... why should that even matter? Young, old, healthy, unhealthy, we are all Americans. If I get covid I will probably live, but I do not want to spread it to ANYONE!!!

I hear all of these arguments about it not being a big deal if younger people getting it cause they are less in danger of dying, but no one is arguing that WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF AGE OR HEALTH!!!

Over 5000 people died in Hurricane Maria. Almost 3000 died on 9/11. Over 2000 died in the Johnstown Flood. Yet 198,000 are currently dead and more to come yet we are still squabbling about what precautions are proper and not proper? Shame on each and every one of us, including myself, who continues to argue on message boards in what is and is not acceptable precautions and not actually put things into practice that will save lives.

1000 people are dying each day yet we are debating whether we should have pro sports. Let's all hear it for priorities.

agreed, it has sickened me to hear other Americans say oh well they had other illnesses or they were old...why is one human life less valuable or less worth protecting than another? Remind yourself this comes from the pro life crowd that claims all lives matter, apparently they don't.

Anyone with a high school education also understands that shutting down the economy and society in general is an absurd and unviable solution. Your pathetic attempt to virtue signal and shame anyone who rejects your nonsense is nothing short of pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The economy was not shut down entirely. Essential services remained open. The WWE remained open. Rent to own businesses remained open both for essential and non essential items (I should know, I work for one). Society was not shut down. You still saw people out an about, just not as much. The economy was not shut down. It may have been limited in scale, but it was not shut down.

agreed, it has sickened me to hear other Americans say oh well they had other illnesses or they were old...why is one human life less valuable or less worth protecting than another? Remind yourself this comes from the pro life crowd that claims all lives matter, apparently they don't.

I also never said that shutting down the economy and society was the answer if you actually read my posts. I said that we need to look out for each other and take the proper precautions. I said that healthy people need to do their part so the elderly and vulnerable do not get sick. We don't send the sick and vulnerable out into a battlefield, we send the physically fit and properly trained to defend our freedom. We as a people need to do what is necessary to help ALL PEOPLE.

Didn't mean to quote you ClaraD, meant to quote trouble13.

Kids in Miami who were asymptomatic but tested positive were found to have lasting lung damage.

"Dr. Alina Alonso, Palm Beach County’s health department director, warned county commissioners Tuesday that much is unknown about the long-term health consequences for children who catch COVID-19.

X-rays have revealed the virus can cause lung damage even in people without severe symptoms, she said.

“They are seeing there is damage to the lungs in these asymptomatic children. ... We don’t know how that is going to manifest a year from now or two years from now,” Alonso said. “Is that child going to have chronic pulmonary problems or not?”

COVID in children: 31% in Florida tested for virus are positive - South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Surviving the disease does not always mean being unharmed.
I missed the part in the article that gave the stats on how many of the children infected had lung damage. Was that damage due to other viruses like the flu? Was it contributed to other health issues? Absent a long term study of all these children I consider this reporting somewhat alarmist. Where’s the science?

The economy was not shut down entirely. Essential services remained open. The WWE remained open. Rent to own businesses remained open both for essential and non essential items (I should know, I work for one). Society was not shut down. You still saw people out an about, just not as much. The economy was not shut down. It may have been limited in scale, but it was not shut down.
Your the one complaining that we are immoral people for not shutting down more things, not me.
Heres one of the problems with your position. You are arguing that if other people don't follow the CDCs recommendations, they are putting others at risk. If you wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and surfaces before you come into contact with, you wont be at risk regardless of other peoples behaviors. Take responsibility for yourself and let others do the same.

I missed the part in the article that gave the stats on how many of the children infected had lung damage. Was that damage due to other viruses like the flu? Was it contributed to other health issues? Absent a long term study of all these children I consider this reporting somewhat alarmist. Where’s the science?

Long-term study? You want a long-term study?
How would that work, allow a lot of kids to be infected so they could be studied for months before you decide if It's a serious problem? Would you send your child to school knowing that was the strategy followed by the public health department?

Long-term study? You want a long-term study?
How would that work, allow a lot of kids to be infected so they could be studied for months before you decide if It's a serious problem? Would you send your child to school knowing that was the strategy followed by the public health department?
Many researchers consider five years to be a reasonable length of time to discover the effects of contracting a disease. Everyone wants the vaccine to go through an exhaustive study instead of fast tracking it but you’re all in favor of declaring the outcomes of children with the infection overnight.

Your the one complaining that we are immoral people for not shutting down more things, not me.
Heres one of the problems with your position. You are arguing that if other people don't follow the CDCs recommendations, they are putting others at risk. If you wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands and surfaces before you come into contact with, you wont be at risk regardless of other peoples behaviors. Take responsibility for yourself and let others do the same.

Since when did I say we were immoral? I dont even think I used that word once. If you look at my post I believe I used the word "priorities".

190,000+ are dead and people are arguing about masks and public gatherings and sports. My coworker's dad died of covid. It was contact traced to someone who was refusing to wear a mask. People are dying, and all you care about is your own health. To check with anyone else as long as you're ok and happy. We ALL need to make sacrifices.

Many researchers consider five years to be a reasonable length of time to discover the effects of contracting a disease. Everyone wants the vaccine to go through an exhaustive study instead of fast tracking it but you’re all in favor of declaring the outcomes of children with the infection overnight.

I am? What does "...declaring the outcomes of children with the infection" even mean? I cited a report quoting a public health officer saying that some kids who were asymptomatic had lung damage. That's it. You twist that however you want, put words in my mouth that you can easily dispute. How about this- I'll post a couple lines of blanks for you to fill in so you can argue with anything that you want me to say. Here, fill your boots...

__________ _________ _________ ________ ______ ________ _______ ________ ________ _______ ________ _________ _________ ________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________________ ________________________ ________________

I was taught at a very young age that your actions affect the people around you. If I drive drunk, I put others at risk. If I commit a crime, it affects my family. I'm sorry your parents didnt teach you the same.

I am taking responsibility for myself. If we ALL did the same we would be out of this mess. Instead, you want to argue that certain people should take precautions and certain people shouldn't. During a pandemic that is fundamentally dangerous. The "do as I say not as I do" argument never works. By taking responsibility for your actions you also minimize the risk of others around you. If EVERYONE took responsibility for their actions this would be over. 2 + 2 =4.

How many times does this need to be explained? You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect those around you. Jesus. Everyfriggingbody knows this except for the handful of dimwits who refuse to get on board with the safety protocols.

Write this on the back of your hand- "Wear a mask to protect others!"
Or cross your arms like a spoiled brat refusing to be inconvenienced. "I don't want to and you can't make me! So there!"

Since when did I say we were immoral? I dont even think I used that word once. If you look at my post I believe I used the word "priorities".

190,000+ are dead and people are arguing about masks and public gatherings and sports. My coworker's dad died of covid. It was contact traced to someone who was refusing to wear a mask. People are dying, and all you care about is your own health. To check with anyone else as long as you're ok and happy. We ALL need to make sacrifices.
The argument you are making is a moral one. You dont need to use that word for ot yo be one.

I was taught at a very young age that your actions affect the people around you. If I drive drunk, I put others at risk. If I commit a crime, it affects my family. I'm sorry your parents didnt teach you the same.

I am taking responsibility for myself. If we ALL did the same we would be out of this mess. Instead, you want to argue that certain people should take precautions and certain people shouldn't. During a pandemic that is fundamentally dangerous. The "do as I say not as I do" argument never works. By taking responsibility for your actions you also minimize the risk of others around you. If EVERYONE took responsibility for their actions this would be over. 2 + 2 =4.
Lets stay with your drunk driving argument. Should sober people not be allowed to drive because they might become drunk? That is essentially what your arguing about covid. Healthy people should assume they are infected so that you can feel safer.

How many times does this need to be explained? You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect those around you. Jesus. Everyfriggingbody knows this except for the handful of dimwits who refuse to get on board with the safety protocols.

Write this on the back of your hand- "Wear a mask to protect others!"
Or cross your arms like a spoiled brat refusing to be inconvenienced. "I don't want to and you can't make me! So there!"
Im with you, how many times does it need to be explained to the paranoid germaphobes that uninfected people can not spread the disease and if you practice social distancing and good hygene around those that are infected, you wont catch it from them. Stop trying dictate otjers behavior and control your own.

I am?

__________ _________ _________ ________ ______ ________ _______ ________ ________ _______ ________ _________ _________ ________________ ___________________ ___________________ ________________ ________________________ ________________

Lungs can heal.

Here is another article.

Health officials worry about long-term effects of COVID-19 on kids

More than one-third of all kids tested for COVID-19 in the state are testing positive. It’s even higher in Lee County at 46%.

Now, some health officials are sounding the alarm about the potential longer-term effects of this virus on our kids.

Health experts say we still have a lot to learn.

A warning from Doctor Alina Alonso, the director of the Department of Health Palm Beach County: Just because you don’t see any COVID-19 symptoms in a child doesn’t mean damage hasn’t been done.

“And while many of these especially younger children are asymptomatic when you take x-rays of their lungs, down in Miami and other places across the country, they’re seeing that there is damage to the lungs in these asymptomatic children.”

While Alonso says there’s proof asymptomatic children are suffering lung damage now, she and other warn we also need to start thinking about the lasting consequences these kids may have to live with.

“We may have to deal with this virus for decades because of not just the survivors coming back with consequences,
but also those who were the silent, infected individuals,” said Dr. Bindu Mayi, professor of microbiology at NSU’s College of Medical Sciences.

Health officials worry about long-term effects of COVID-19 on kids

Lets stay with your drunk driving argument. Should sober people not be allowed to drive because they might become drunk? That is essentially what your arguing about covid. Healthy people should assume they are infected so that you can feel safer.

That is not what I am arguing. I am arguing that our PRIORITIES (there is that word again) are not where they need to be. Healthy people can still get covid but not be symptomatic, so they need to take precautions so they don't get a vulnerable person sick... LIKE WEAR A DAMN MASK AND DON'T BE IN LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE!!

That is not what I am arguing. I am arguing that our PRIORITIES (there is that word again) are not where they need to be. Healthy people can still get covid but not be symptomatic, so they need to take precautions so they don't get a vulnerable person sick... LIKE WEAR A DAMN MASK AND DON'T BE IN LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE!!
Large groups of unmasked infected people can not infect you if you practice social distancing. Take responsibility for your own health.
Furthermore dont tell people that they dont know if they are infected or not when you dont know that they are either.

Large groups of unmasked infected people can not infect you if you practice social distancing. Take responsibility for your own health.
Furthermore dont tell people that they dont know if they are infected or not when you dont know that they are either.

Translation; empathy for health care providers or first responders, working people not given any choice in your decision to defy public health directives, but who are still obligated to aid or to provide you medical treatment, is not a vital or even a necessary element of your mindset.

IOW, every member of civil society has an obligation to avoid acting antisocial out of consideration for those who have no choice but to serve you.

You cannot somehow "opt out" of exposing those workers to health risk unless you have some unusual ability to somehow crawl off to die from effects of virus you claim is totally up to you to choose how you protect yourself from risk of exposure to.

Last edited:
Translation; empathy for health care providers or first responders, working people not given any choice in your decision to defy public health directives, but
who are still obligated to aid or to provide you medical treatment, is a vital or even a necessary element of your mindset.
If Im not infected, why should I wear a mask? Its not making anyone safer.

If Im not infected, why should I wear a mask? Its not making anyone safer.

The only way you know you are not infected would be by testing daily.

Wearing a mask shows we care about each other Not just ourselves.

Wearing a mask shows we care about small businesses.

Wearing a mask shows we care about the economy.

You don’t believe wearing masks will help end this pandemic? Consider the consequences:

• If the experts are wrong, and yet we all wear masks, what’s the downside? We’ll be a bit uncomfortable.

• If the experts are right, and yet we do not wear masks, what’s the downside? Hundreds of thousands of more small businesses will die; their owners and employees will lose their livelihoods; their communities will lose their vitality and much of their tax base; and, inevitably and tragically, tens of thousands more Americans will die.

Wearing a mask is a small price to pay, a small bet to make to save small businesses, save lives, save our economy. Do your part to help save small businesses: Wear a mask.

Wear a mask and rescue your favorite small business from coronavirus

Last edited:
Lungs can heal.

The real test may come during flu and respiratory season which is within the next couple of months.

Perhaps we will find out how widespread the damage to children’s lungs from Covid 19 is then.

It does not show any of those things. Its nothing but an empty gesture to satiate other peoples paranoia.

Sorry , you feel that way.

Too many people in Florida going into public buildings is one more more resin for me not to return to my snowbird home In Florida this winter and help Florida’s economy out.

Back
Top Bottom