• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why restrict 'good' gun owners, resident asks President Obama at town hall

look at leftist societies throughout history, it's very, very clear why they restrict guns.

hqdefault.jpg

the only 'safety' a leftist is interested in is his own safety from those he rules when they figure out what he's up to.

Utterly untrue and ridiculous.

The gun radical comeuppance is rolling through the door right now.

That's what was said in the last mass shooting. And the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that.

We've already discussed this avenue in a similar thread.

Obama cannot take credit for any increase in gun sales during his term of office.

Such sales are typically a reaction to gun control advocates trying to enact greater gun control measures...often as not after sensationalizing some "incident" like the nightclub shooting as justification for the President and Congress to act.

It is disingenuous to claim "there have been more guns sold..," as direct evidence of his support for gun rights.

Yeah, panic buying. It is certainly NOT disingenuous to claim a fact. The "incident", like the same one in Boston, San Bernadino, Fort Hood Texas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and two in New York - were terrorist acts of violence committed on US citizens as an enemy. Something like that happened in 1941; it was called the Pearl Harbor attack: an isolated incident. Maybe you've heard of it.

This notion of allowing US terrorists to willfully arm themselves, because the second amendment says they can, is nothing more that willfully facilitaing such acts.

When is the gun crowd going to stop blabbering and get serious about this? You guys are tough as hell on terrorists in the middle east, but over HERE at home? you yawn and point to the second amendment.

You're burning up your own house.

ps: you made a post to me on the other thread, that I can't seem to find now, but want to reply: it was good post.

That's what was said in the last mass shooting. And the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that.

Well, there's an election coming up - keep watching.

There is no legal way to kill people period.

And yeah, guns facilitate killing people. That is why they were invented after all. They put everyone on equal footing. But they are not in and of themselves responsible for gun violence. Do you deny that improving our education system, improving our poverty rate to where people aren't in poverty, reducing recidivism rate, and improving our mental health programs would all reduce crime over all, including gun violence, drastically? None of which requires a single new gun control law. In fact it could, and should, reduce gun control laws.

I believe automatic weapons with 30 shot magazines unduly facilitate mass murderers while not providing any more "protection" than guns with lesser mass killing abilities. The ban on them should never have been lifted. 100's if not 1000's of lives could have been saved.

Exactly. A wannabe terrorist is too dangerous to fly on an airplane, but not too dangerous to buy as many guns and explosives as he wants. It's enough to make your head spin.

See.. this is where the facts just don't support your rhetoric. Mateen was not on the terrorist watch list. So he could have flown on a plane.

He was investigated by the FBI twice, and was cleared of terrorist suspicion. He passed a background check to purchase his firearm.

So please explain how you plan to prevent him from getting a firearm with background checks.

Yeah, panic buying. It is certainly NOT disingenuous to claim a fact. The "incident", like the same one in Boston, San Bernadino, Fort Hood Texas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and two in New York - were terrorist acts of violence committed on US citizens as an enemy. Something like that happened in 1941; it was called the Pearl Harbor attack: an isolated incident. Maybe you've heard of it.

This notion of allowing US terrorists to willfully arm themselves, because the second amendment says they can, is nothing more that willfully facilitaing such acts.

When is the gun crowd going to stop blabbering and get serious about this? You guys are tough as hell on terrorists in the middle east, but over HERE at home? you yawn and point to the second amendment.

Straw man much? :doh

What has ANY of that got to do with the OP for this thread, that Obama is trying to imply he is a gun rights supporter due to all this panic buying? :confused:

If you want to explore this "rant" in a more appropriate thread, I'd suggest this one: http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...an-activities-committee-5.html#post1065972461

ps: you made a post to me on the other thread, that I can't seem to find now, but want to reply: it was good post.

Can you give me a hint? I'll try to find it.

I believe automatic weapons with 30 shot magazines unduly facilitate mass murderers while not providing any more "protection" than guns with lesser mass killing abilities. The ban on them should never have been lifted. 100's if not 1000's of lives could have been saved.

There has never been a complete ban on automatic weapons.. since they are legal in some states with the appropriate federal license. However, they certainly have not been used in 100's of murders.. the use of an automatic weapon is almost unheard of (I can think of only one case in about 70 years).

1:14: He says that him, Hillary, Democrats are not hell bent on taking folks guns away is not true. That is a lie. Hillary is on record as saying that Scalia got it wrong in the Heller decision. If he had voted against instead of for that would have kept individuals in DC from owning handguns that were made after 1975, and rifles were required to be either disassembled or have a trigger lock on with the bullets placed in a different room than the gun. Diane Feinstein is on record for saying "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban picking up everyone of them, Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in I would have done it." She is still a Senator and still pushes to take guns away from law abiding people.

1:24: Isn't a lie but it is a truth told in a way to disassemble and to hide his true intentions. The reason that more guns have been sold during his Presidency is due to the very fact that he pushed for the AR-15 to be banned. One of the most common types of guns owned in America. The ONLY reason that he did not sign any legislation that banned "assault style weapons" like he wanted was due to the very real fact that such legislation never made it to his desk. Those laws were killed due to the legislative process denying it. Laws that he pushed for, not tried to stop.

1:39: Another disassembling answer. He may not have outright stated that he wants to confiscate any guns, but he does want to ban most "assault style weapons" from being owned. Only reason people would still be able to own them is due to the Grandfather clause...assuming such a clause was put into any law that banned such guns. If it wasn't then yes, people would be required to turn them in, IE: gun confiscation. And if it was put in then when the owners died those guns would have to be turned in as no new permits would be issued for such guns. In other words a back door confiscation.

3:09: Congress will not allow CDC to study gun control. What he doesn't tell you is that according to the CDC, a study that they did at the request of Obama mind you, it is better to allow citizens to own guns. It is also useless to study "gun" violence for the simple fact that guns do not cause violence. PEOPLE do. So what needs to be studied isn't guns, but the reasons that PEOPLE commit crimes, and how to better help those that are mentally disturbed. Studying "gun violence" is nothing more than a red herring.

3:48: Background checks: How did a background check stop any of the last 5 major news worthy mass shootings? Background checks are worthless. Now of course he's talking about UBC's and not just BC's. UBC's is not within the Federal Governments purview. They are not allowed to regulate intrastate commerce, only interstate commerce.

4:23: NRA is responsible for not allowing him to deny guns to people on the No Fly List. Wrong. The Constitution does not allow him to ban people that are on the No Fly List from owning guns. Not the NRA. Amendments 5-7. Read em. Study them and the history of them and the history of why they were proposed and accepted into the Constitution.

4:38: Being a sympathizer with ones enemies is not enough of a reason to deny them their Rights. If that were the case then the Federal Government could take the guns away from every single person that has said a good word about Putin or any other group/person that doesn't hold the US in high esteem.

Prove that is a lie. And Scalia had nothing to do with it. YOU guys say that Scalia was wrong, when in the same case he that second amendment was not an unlimited right[/i]. So, now all of sudden - he's right?

Perhaps its because we don't want to harm the civil rights of citizens here in the states?

Why do you want to harm the civil rights of citizens here in the states? Oh right.. fear.

Which is the purpose of terrorism.. to make you irrationally afraid.

Why are you so afraid?

Excellent observation. All the dead innocents mean nothing to the NRA and its hardcore supporters. You could have a mass killing like Sandy Hook or Orlando every month for a year or two and the NRA would not budge in its control of their puppets in Congress to agree to any reasonable regulations on guns.

de Tocqueville wrote about exactly what you're suggesting 180 years ago -

Does terrorism on our home ground - oppress - people?

Right and I bet you think your **** doesn't stink, too.

Why do you need to be on this thread in the second place?

Well, who do I have to be to make my own rules on my own thread? Who are you to say I can't?

Moderator's Warning:
Just FYI, only people here that can make rules are the moderators and owner of this site. All should avoid personal comments and stick to the topic from this point forward.

Prove that is a lie. And Scalia had nothing to do with it. YOU guys say that Scalia was wrong, when in the same case he that second amendment was not an unlimited right[/i]. So, now all of sudden - he's right?

That's because no rights are unlimited. My right to free speech does not mean I can incite a riot and call for people to be murdered.

My right to religion.. does not mean I can sacrifice a goat on your lawn.

My right to vote does not mean I can vote 7 times to your once.

Excellent observation. All the dead innocents mean nothing to the NRA and its hardcore supporters. You could have a mass killing like Sandy Hook or Orlando every month for a year or two and the NRA would not budge in its control of their puppets in Congress to agree to any reasonable regulations on guns.

Lets see.. that's because 1. the events in Sandy Hook and Orlando was not about firearms but the people that use them

2. See number one.

Straw man much? :doh

What has ANY of that got to do with the OP for this thread, that Obama is trying to imply he is a gun rights supporter due to all this panic buying? :confused:

If you want to explore this "rant" in a more appropriate thread, I'd suggest this one: http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...an-activities-committee-5.html#post1065972461

Can you give me a hint? I'll try to find it.

Facts aren't a straw man. Those were terrorist acts committed on this country. The OP is Obama telling the right-wing their paranoid rhetoric is BS and then backing it up by fact.

and on the ps: You said that you were not right-wing and didn't vote for Bush... My post history won't go back that far and I forgot you.

Facts aren't a straw man. Those were terrorist acts committed on this country. The OP is Obama telling the right-wing their paranoid rhetoric is BS and then backing it up by fact.

and on the ps: You said that you were not right-wing and didn't vote for Bush... My post history won't go back that far and I forgot you.

Actually as Kal stang very aptly pointed out.. Obama is not telling the truth or carefully concealing the truth and that the anti gun message from the president and democrats has been abundantly clear.

There has never been a complete ban on automatic weapons.. since they are legal in some states with the appropriate federal license. However, they certainly have not been used in 100's of murders.. the use of an automatic weapon is almost unheard of (I can think of only one case in about 70 years).

AR-15's ARE automatic weapons since they can fire at the same rounds per second as one by simply "fluttering" the trigger.. Add a 30 round magazine with tumbling bullets that rip your insides to jello and you have a mass killing machine that has nothing to do with protecting your family or hunting for sport.

Last edited:
The issue is terrorism in the US. During WWII, law abiding American citizens were restricted in meant purchasing, flour and sugar purchasing, gasoline purchasing and were not allowed to turn on the their porch lights, or allow room light to show through a window. Abraham Lincoln suspended habeas corpus.

Are we NOT at war with terrorism? Are we NOT at war with street crime?

How can you sit and just obstruct our abilities to short circuit our enemies in a time of need?

We are at war with various factions of radical Islamists. I absolutely agree with that. I do not, however, believe that threat necessitates a suspension of basic rights we are Constitutionally bound to protect. If a given individual is suspected of sympathizing with the enemy they should be investigated. If the investigation leads to a reasonable suspicion that they are a threat to the security of the nation they should be tried and punished. If they are not found to be a threat then they should be released. What SHOULD NOT happen is that they get left in "terror watch list" limbo.

If there is no due process involved in getting someone on the list then that list is Unconstitutional. If the list is Unconstitutional then it should never be used to deny a citizen of their rights.

Perhaps its because we don't want to harm the civil rights of citizens here in the states?

Why do you want to harm the civil rights of citizens here in the states? Oh right.. fear.

Which is the purpose of terrorism.. to make you irrationally afraid.

Why are you so afraid?

So, war on home grown terrorism means nothing to you. So terrorists, should be able to walk right into a gun store, like CBS just did in Florida, and walk right out with an AR15, a 30 round clip and 200 rounds of ammo in 38 minutes... That's okay because the second amendment says so.

So, a guy shows up at the mall with an AR and 600 rounds, in preloaded clips and starts blasting away, and you just yawn - because you're brave - and go on reading the funny papers. Oh, and since he was sweeping, you've been shot before you could reach for your "stopping power", like what just happened in Orlando...

Does terrorism on our home ground - oppress - people?

It does but in no way does that warrant nullifying any of the rights we are Constitutionally bound to protect.

Actually as Kal stang very aptly pointed out.. Obama is not telling the truth or carefully concealing the truth and that the anti gun message from the president and democrats has been abundantly clear.

Then prove it. What could possibly be concealed in cold hard - on the record - fact?

Ga'head; prove that Obama is lying about - anything - he said in that meeting video which was aired on PBS.

Back
Top Bottom