• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do you support Hillary?

Contested convention. There's no run-off ballot in the US; if one candidate doesn't get 51% of the vote (And right now, I doubt that Trump will), then all delegates become unpledged and they can choose whoever they want. You can guess how that's going to work. Like I've been saying for months, it'll be the most overt

... display of establishment power by the Republican establishment.

That's a good article, even if a bit douchy. But he's fundamentally correct, the Left is now locked into a fight that is going to occupy itself with for at least a decade or two, unless a financial collapse happens and then the conversation will get a lot shorter. I don't know that we're going to build up a new party (If we do, the Green party seems the most likely candidate, since it at least has some history, financial backing, and so forth). But if ActBlue decides to only work for Green candidates... That would be a serious, serious start in the battle. But this is a conversation that's going to happen until after November, and then the Progressive Left is going lodge everything it's got at Hillary. I'd be shocked if Hillary didn't become the most hated president in US history once we're done with her after her first term.

Well, China's economy just went tits up for second time three months ago. I'm pretty certain that this is the start of it. You never know precisely when it's going to break, but it will break. Given that it's happened about once every ten years with increasing severity? Yes, I think it being within the next 4 years is a pretty solid bet, even if it's not certain.

It'll be the final straw because the first economic recession was itself practically the breaking point for neoliberal politics. It's impossible to argue that Sanders and Trump aren't 100% caused by the financial collapse.
I agree with the assessment of impending recession--the cycle certainly won't stop for Hillary, god knows, and I can already see the milling mass of millennials with a collective despondent sense of "I told you so". If Hillary takes the nomination, the democratic establishment is likely doomed.

Ironically, if Donald Trump takes the republican nomination, the republican party is probably doomed, for entirely different reasons.

I don't think this could result in a third party uprising, not yet. The two parties are far too well entrenched and ubiquitous of our political system, and the left much too divided to rally against any particular alternative unless there was some major unifying force uniting them in that direction, and I don't think Sanders and Warren, solely based on what I've seen of their individual political personalities, are going to be starting their own party anytime soon. I think it's more likely that Hillary dooming the democratic party might cause massive defections to the liberal wing, and liberals eventually retake the democratic party.

Back
Top Bottom