• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are some atheists bothered when it is said that disbelievers will go to hell?

When told that according to X religion, you as a disbeliever would go to hell, you feel...

• Total voters
You're already demonstrating your anger and annoyance. Work it out for yourself, considering that you're the one who already cares the most!
Not to suggest that I don't care too, because they p-ss me off when they try to foist their religious nonsense on us.

There is no anger. I don't know why you insist on speaking for myself and the other atheists when we have already stated that we just don't care. And I don't care that much if they want to talk about their religion. Good for them. First Amendment and all that. No, they don't "**** me off". Why should they? You are apparently projecting YOUR anger onto others, trying to claim that we have feelings like you, which we don't.
The only religionists that make me angry are the fundies who support the serial adulterer lying amoral scumbag Trump. And rightly so. They are total hypocrites. Any decent person would be upset by that hypocrisy, claiming to be oh-so-holy and supporting a scumbag.

There is only one Islam.

Then why do they spend so much time and effort trying to kill one another if they all have the same faith?
(I don't expect an honest answer, of course.)

Then why do they spend so much time and effort trying to kill one another if they all have the same faith?
(I don't expect an honest answer, of course.)
Then you shan't get an answer at all.

There is no anger. I don't know why you insist on speaking for myself and the other atheists when we have already stated that we just don't care. And I don't care that much if they want to talk about their religion. Good for them. First Amendment and all that. No, they don't "**** me off". Why should they? You are apparently projecting YOUR anger onto others, trying to claim that we have feelings like you, which we don't.
The only religionists that make me angry are the fundies who support the serial adulterer lying amoral scumbag Trump. And rightly so. They are total hypocrites. Any decent person would be upset by that hypocrisy, claiming to be oh-so-holy and supporting a scumbag.
You're escalating your annoyance, anger, and feelings that I've insulted you.

And now you're ensured me that the religious make you angry, when in fact, if you were being truthful on your claim of indifference you would be stating other reasons why Trump's followers make you angry.

Work it out for yourself, you've wasted enough of my time.

And now you're ensured me that the religious make you angry, when in fact, if you were being truthful on your claim of indifference you would be stating other reasons why Trump's followers make you angry.

You're hilarious. You claim to be able to speak for the feelings of others better than they can, and then you get all upset when I decide to show the truth of my own feelings.
One of us truly does need to "work it out", and that is clearly not me.

Then you shan't get an answer at all.

Which is, of course, a difference without a distinction as to what I had predicted that I was expecting. You are quite transparent.

Your problem is precisely in God defining good and bad, as far as I can tell.
Yet, you can't show that you speak the truth there. You can quote from a book that was written by men, but you can't show those men wrote the truth about what God wants.

Yet, you can't show that you speak the truth there. You can quote from a book that was written by men, but you can't show those men wrote the truth about what God wants.
The Qur'an proves itself. Anytime you're ready to open your eyes.

You're hilarious. You claim to be able to speak for the feelings of others better than they can, and then you get all upset when I decide to show the truth of my own feelings.
One of us truly does need to "work it out", and that is clearly not me.
To be fair — you really do come off as frustrated, to say the least, in all these religious/anti-religious topics.

You can't win an argument with circular reasoning. Claims of divinity in a book are not proof or evidence the claims made in the book are true. It would be like me claiming "atheism proves itself because there is no god."

That is the claim. However, that claim falls short of reality. You keep saying that, but you can't show it. Since you said that you think Djinn exist, show me a Djinn, which is mentioned in the Qur'an. If you can not demonstrate that, or show me how I can examine that claim for myself, then your claim that the Qur'an proves itself is shown to be false.

You can't win an argument with circular reasoning. Claims of divinity in a book are not proof or evidence the claims made in the book are true. It would be like me claiming "atheism proves itself because there is no god."
You have misunderstood because you haven't read the Quran. Your argument's premise is false.

I am not trying to win an argument.

That is the claim. However, that claim falls short of reality. You keep saying that, but you can't show it. Since you said that you think Djinn exist, show me a Djinn, which is mentioned in the Qur'an. If you can not demonstrate that, or show me how I can examine that claim for myself, then your claim that the Qur'an proves itself is shown to be false.
How astoundingly ignorant you are.

Yes, given that you claim to know what I think better than I know what I think, you probably are indeed wasting your time.

How astoundingly ignorant you are.

Yet, for all your bluster, you can not show that Djinn exist. I expect more diversion tactics. about this. The fact you can't show that a claim of the Qur'an is true shows the statement that the Qur'an proves itself to be false.

I have never had a discussion about religions with a deeply religious person, so I don't really have any personal experience about this. But still, my guess would be that if someone says you are going to go to hell, you have somehow provoked them.

To be honest, why should an atheist and a religious person have a conversation about religion? It's not like either of them is going to admit they were wrong.

If they don't believe in hell and they have no doubt about their beliefs, whatsoever (they often claim they do not), why would it bother them if a Mormon/Muslim/Jew/Christian/Hindu said that they believe that those who disbelieve in their religion will go to hell?

I have heard multiple arguments from Christians that Muslims will go to hell. This has never made me feel the slightest discomfort.
All of them can apply depending on why the other person is saying it.

I have never had a discussion about religions with a deeply religious person, so I don't really have any personal experience about this. But still, my guess would be that if someone says you are going to go to hell, you have somehow provoked them.

To be honest, why should an atheist and a religious person have a conversation about religion? It's not like either of them is going to admit they were wrong.

Ummm....this is a discussion forum. The reason that most people come here is to debate. If that’s to you, that is no reason to dismiss those who do.

I don't think it is fair to single out Islam for this question. One might just as well ask the same question about Christianity or Judaism. Christians often claim to have the true faith, as do Jews. They do not expect to have to defend why they fight (or fought in the past in some cases) between denominations. Am I any less a Christian because I was a Calvinist (Puritan) who founded the First Congregational Church in some New England town just because my people fought with another Christian church, The Church of England?

I don't think it is fair to single out Islam for this question. One might just as well ask the same question about Christianity or Judaism. Christians often claim to have the true faith, as do Jews. They do not expect to have to defend why they fight (or fought in the past in some cases) between denominations. Am I any less a Christian because I was a Calvinist (Puritan) who founded the First Congregational Church in some New England town just because my people fought with another Christian church, The Church of England?
It depends on which Christian you ask.

Ummm....this is a discussion forum. The reason that most people come here is to debate. If that’s to you, that is no reason to dismiss those who do.

I was talking about it in general, I did not only mean discussions in this particular forum.

I was talking about it in general, I did not only mean discussions in this particular forum.
There are many people doubting their faith that may want to see what the other side has to offer, or maybe a devoutly religious person may want to challenge their faith by wading into the shark infested waters of online religious debates. Everyone has their own reason.

The one thing about Judaism is that one very common Jewish attitude is that Judaism is the path that they chose to get to God. As long as a group of people follow the Noahide laws, many Jews feel that other people can get to God in their own way.

Back
Top Bottom