• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are scientific articles so expensive?

They should face lower-cost competition, and since that's happening already we should just wait and see.

Lower cost means lower quality. Anyone can do a "study" and post their results on the web for free.

Just an FYI, if you can find the authors of the articles and email them, many of them will be happy to send you their papers free of charge.

When I was doing my college work on post-WWII Reconstruction I emailed two researchers who's studies were hidden behind a paywall, and they send me copies of their papers for free.
Thats what I do. Email is great for that.

It's no more costly than you saying whatever on this forum. Printed copies, and postal costs, are obsolete.

Wait, you're saying the scientists have to PAY to be published in a scientific journal?

And you don't see a problem with that?

"Most journals are unwilling to disclose their publishing costs" gee I wonder why.

The only worthwhile service provided by journals is Peer Review. Do they pay scientific peers to review the studies?
It's simple demand and supply. Scientific journals (and even college textbooks) have a very low reader base since their core audience is mostly other academics and students. They most probably use vanity publishers (or are themselves one) which spike up the costs considerably.

Technology has caught up to print publishing, and anyone can do it now via channels like Amazon KDP, D2D, etc. Academics ought to take advantage of it, but there's probably an old boy network monopoly that's resistant to this sort of change.

And peer review has been proven to be unreliable at times, and is no guarantee of authenticity.

Lower cost means lower quality. Anyone can do a "study" and post their results on the web for free.

True in the great majority of cases. But a higher price tag does not mean better quality. For sure it does not.

First off, not every paper that is submitted is published. Many times the peer review process reveals errors or weaknesses in the paper (that is what peer review is all about) and the paper is rejected. Consequently, the publishers may go through several papers to find those that warrant being included in their publication

Second, most reputable peer-reviewed journals are not supported by advertising revenue. The costs are typically included in whatever research grant money is available to the researchers, whether it is government or private funding. And BTW, that is typically disclosed in the paper.

I know this firsthand, because my work has been published in peer-reviewed journals.

My evidence is the prices Elsevier and such charge, for online articles. Subscriptions are cheaper per article, fit to the purpose of universities, but we the taxpayers are paying for that too.

Elsevier is a Dutch-based company that publishes academic content from all over the world. If a scientist in Strasbourg is funded by a French Government research grant, then where is the incentive for Elsevier to give that scientist's work global exposure without charging for the content?

Elsevier is a Dutch-based company that publishes academic content from all over the world. If a scientist in Strasbourg is funded by a French Government research grant, then where is the incentive for Elsevier to give that scientist's work global exposure without charging for the content?

They get subscription fees from universities around the world.

I'm just questioning why individual articles cost so much. Are they concerned that universities will stop paying subscription fees and academics would buy individual articles instead? Are they distrustful that academics will provide pirate copies to their students?

Particularly since the majority of scientists get public money to do their research?

Journals are profiteering, based on their reputation and on a captive audience of academics. They are leaching off government money both in the research itself, and in the universities and colleges which have to buy subscriptions to keep their own students and academics up to date.

There are free alternatives, and good luck to them. But tell me why pirates should not simply steal the ill-gotten gains of the FOR-PROFIT journals, and make them freely available.

The public has a right to knowledge it has already paid for!
You do not have to pay to read peer-reviewed papers. You can always obtain a free preprint of the paper from a wide variety of different sources. For example, I will often start with https://arxiv.org/ at Cornell University when looking up a peer-reviewed paper. They are by no means alone. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and many other universities all have sources where you can read peer-reviewed papers for free.

I frequently read the titles and abstracts in the Astronomical Journal and Astrophysical Journal, and if the topic interests me I will look up the preprint and read more about the subject.

They get subscription fees from universities around the world.

I'm just questioning why individual articles cost so much. Are they concerned that universities will stop paying subscription fees and academics would buy individual articles instead? Are they distrustful that academics will provide pirate copies to their students?

But why would the universities continue to pay subscription fees if there were no paywall?

I don't know what to tell you, Ug.... I just get individual subscriptions to the Journals I reference a lot and for that, I get unlimited access to their archives. It gives me a huge leg up in my work and it saves me a lot of time in not having to track down obscure scientific papers from all over the world. It's well worth the price. The way I figure it, the production of scientific knowledge - whether publicly funded or not - is an entirely different proposition than its dissemination. When I buy a car, I don't mind paying for both the engine and the transmission. It's a package deal.

But why would the universities continue to pay subscription fees if there were no paywall?

I don't know what to tell you, Ug.... I just get individual subscriptions to the Journals I reference a lot and for that, I get unlimited access to their archives. It gives me a huge leg up in my work and it saves me a lot of time in not having to track down obscure scientific papers from all over the world. It's well worth the price. The way I figure it, the production of scientific knowledge - whether publicly funded or not - is an entirely different proposition than its dissemination. When I buy a car, I don't mind paying for both the engine and the transmission. It's a package deal.

I'm sure you can do better than an analogy to physical goods. Information is not diminished by being copied, so fundamentally different rules of sale or use must apply.

I never said there should be NO PAYWALL. Only that it should be more reasonably priced for the general public ... who in many cases have already paid through their taxes. Your argument of convenience still holds up for subscriptions, in fact it leads to the idea of just patronage: journals provide a service to academics, therefore universities should pay for it.

Something I've learned in this thread is that academics sometimes have to PAY to be published. This is horrifying to me. Imagine if we treated fiction writers or musicians like that!

For the same reason we have to pay tolls on roads we have already paid for.

Back
Top Bottom