• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why are Conservatives happier than Liberals?

Why are Conservatives happier than Liberals?

• Because Cons are more religious

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Because Cons show more reverence for two-parent families

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because Cons appreciate the benefit of working hard

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Other: Let me explain

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Next question: Why are Conservatives happier than Independents?

7.gif

Followed by: Does money buy happiness?

2.gif

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
1) How about posting it then? :roll:

2) The platform also represents a departure from the silence on cultural issues that has often characterized Democratic platforms in the past. "We honor the central place of faith in the lives of our people," it says, pledging to "strengthen the role of faith-based organizations in meeting challenges like homelessness, youth violence, and other social problems." For the first time, this platform expresses Democratic support for the Second Amendment right to possess firearms for self-protection and hunting. And while continuing the party's strong support for abortion rights, the platform pointedly reaches out to those who disagree on this or other cultural issues: "Members of our party have deeply held and differing views on some matters of conscience and faith.... We are committed to resolving our differences in a spirit of civility, hope and mutual respect."

1) Over 90% of felons who vote in states where it is legal vote for Democrats. Most felons in general are core Democrat constitutencies (namely blacks).

And the statistics abound about Republicans and religion. I don't think I even need to dignify a challenge to such a common knowledge reality with time and effort to prove the obvious.

Besides, I have witnessed you yourself spew ridiculous rhetoric about the "Christian Right" a hundred times on this site. Now you are trying to argue that Republicans aren't more religious than Democrats?

This intellectual dishonesty is exactly what I was talking about. You've demonstrated my point. Not only are we more religious, but as I said before, we are more principled as well. You clearly don't care about the truth. You say whatever defends your side. THAT is a distinction between the most of the right and the left.

2) Democrats also claim to be patriotic (between portrayals of Al Queda and Saddam as misunderstood victims); they also claim to represent the little guy despite all of their policies working against ordinary people.

Democrats can claim all kinds of things. This phony posturing is an attempt to seem less caustic to pro-life moderates and religious people. Nobody is fooled. Stop peddling your bs propaganda. :roll:

Stace said:
I did not assume anything. I asked you a simple question, and then stated my own experiences.

Wrong. You said this:

Stace said:
How many liberals do you actually know? Because every liberal I know...

You know damn well this question was not asking for an actual number. It was rhetorical. You also know damn well that this rhetorical question was meant to insinuate that I didn't know many liberals.

You DID assume it. You WERE wrong.

And as for evidence, what kind would you like? Over 90% of violent criminals who live in a state where they can vote vote for Democrats? Their totally unprincipled, perpetual obstructionism? YOUR OWN bashing of the "Religious Right?"

Which begs the question, if you mock Republicans for being Christian in one breath and then claim that Republicans aren't more Christian, aren't you contradicting yourself?

aquapub said:
You know damn well this question was not asking for an actual number. It was rhetorical. You also know damn well that this rhetorical question was meant to insinuate that I didn't know many liberals.

WRONG. This is why I hardly ever respond to any of your posts - you have one of those "I know more than you do" attitudes, and you don't stop and THINK about what other people are saying. How can you sit there and say what I meant? Last time I checked, I'm the only one that knows exactly what I mean when I say things. It's not my fault that you want to twist things around and misinterpret my words.

You DID assume it. You WERE wrong.

No, and no.

And as for evidence, what kind would you like? Over 90% of violent criminals who live in a state where they can vote vote for Democrats?

And that proves what, exactly?

Their totally unprincipled, perpetual obstructionism? YOUR OWN bashing of the "Religious Right?"

WHERE have I bashed the "Religious Right"? I don't believe I ever have.

Which begs the question, if you mock Republicans for being Christian in one breath and then claim that Republicans aren't more Christian, aren't you contradicting yourself?

And again, where have I done this? There are just as many liberals that are religious. I could really care less if someone is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or not religious at all. So where am I mocking anyone, and how am I contradicting myself? I have never claimed that Republicans aren't more Christian, you must be confusing me with someone else.

AlbqOwl said:
I don't think conservatism has anything to do with 'religiosity' or 'marriage' or whether or not there is domestic violence as I think there are as many religious liberals as non-religious liberals, liberals can do get and stay married, and I have on good authority that domestic violence has no political or socioeconomic affliliation. You cannot say that there are no virtues and no sins in either and you'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly in both.

All of this, I can agree with. What followed, however, I would have to strongly disagree with. Again, I see this whole question simply as a matter of perception and opinion. I certainly don't fit any of the descriptions you gave liberals in your analogies; by your words, I would have to be a conservative, which I most certainly am not. And I could easily switch the words conservative and liberal in your examples, and it would suit most of the people I know. There's no way to stereotype either group as a whole, and that includes trying to determine who is happier, because happiness is completely relative, and no two people have the same criteria for what determines happiness.

aquapub said:
2) Democrats also claim to be patriotic (between portrayals of Al Queda and Saddam as misunderstood victims); they also claim to represent the little guy despite all of their policies working against ordinary people.

Ignoring the snide, completely unnecessary partisan comments, there is nothing more patriotic than serving your country's military. I did.....have you?

Democrats can claim all kinds of things. This phony posturing is an attempt to seem less caustic to pro-life moderates and religious people. Nobody is fooled. Stop peddling your bs propaganda. :roll:

I could really care less what anyone else thinks about me. Oh, but wait, I'm not officially a Democrat....

Perhaps you should take your own advice in regards to propaganda.

AlbqOwl said:
I'll duck now as the verbal missiles start coming my way. :2razz:

Yes they will but I will aid in your defense :shoot

Stace said:
All of this, I can agree with. What followed, however, I would have to strongly disagree with. Again, I see this whole question simply as a matter of perception and opinion. I certainly don't fit any of the descriptions you gave liberals in your analogies; by your words, I would have to be a conservative, which I most certainly am not. And I could easily switch the words conservative and liberal in your examples, and it would suit most of the people I know. There's no way to stereotype either group as a whole, and that includes trying to determine who is happier, because happiness is completely relative, and no two people have the same criteria for what determines happiness.

You could reverse them, but IMO it would be dishonest to do so. You cannot deny that liberals:
1. Say the economy is bad when conservatives are saying it's good
2. Say that taxes should be raised when conservatives want more tax cuts.
3. Say that the country is going to hell in a handbasket while conservatives
see much that is good
4. Say that the President and GOP suck while conservatives can see good
that is being done.
5. Say that wealthy corporations and the very rich got there by
questionable means and oppress the poor while Conservatives
believe there are opportunities for everybody.
6. Say that the poor should get more from government while conservatives
say that the poor should aspire to be rich.
7. Say that it is society's or the government's fault that we have so many
criminals and other countries don't like us while conservatives
say that criminals can make the same choices everybody else makes
and other countries should refuse our help if they think we're so
rotten.

I'll refer you to any one-minute speech on the House floor or any talking heads on media feature or speeches coming from various members of Congress. The liberals are angry, whining, complaining, accusing, demeaning, insulting, and putting down. The conservatives are giving suggestions of what we can do and how we might do it.

It's just more fun being a conservative and a whole lot more productive. I really recommend conservatism for a full and happy life.

Last edited:
ii dont get this debate at all.

defining liberals and conservatives is hard enough (sans the abstract definitions). One person may call themselves a liberal when infact they support conservative economic theories etc. I may be against the war in iraq, making me a liberal, but I may be anti-abortion, which makes me conservative.

And then on top of this, we're trying to quantify happiness. I mean just because a person says their happy now, doens't mean their not gonna be happy later. I could have just lost my job and my wife left me, So i am unhappy with my life. a few months later, i'm over the divorce and found myself a new job. Thus I am happy with my life...

this whole poll is way too arbitrary, to take seriously.

AlbqOwl said:
You could reverse them, but IMO it would be dishonest to do so. You cannot deny that liberals:
see much that is good
that is being done.
rotten.

I'll refer you to any one-minute speech on the House floor or any talking heads on media feature or speeches coming from various members of Congress. The liberals are angry, whining, complaining, accusing, demeaning, insulting, and putting down. The conservatives are giving suggestions of what we can do and how we might do it.

It's just more fun being a conservative and a whole lot more productive. I really recommend conservatism for a full and happy life.

I'm certainly not saying any of those things. The views of the Dems up on Capitol Hill are not, as a whole, the views of myself, nor of most other liberals I know....and the same is true for the conservatives.

I have plenty of fun, and am quite productive, being a liberal. But I also don't let my political views rule my life; there is much more to me than where I stand on any particular issue. Politics don't determine which activities I enjoy, whose company I enjoy, etc. I would recommend a similar lifestyle to anyone here. Politics are only a small part of my life as a whole - there's just too much else going on, too much that I'm more concerned with, to really let politics play a more major role. In the end, people aren't going to remember you for your political views.

Stace said:
I'm certainly not saying any of those things. The views of the Dems up on Capitol Hill are not, as a whole, the views of myself, nor of most other liberals I know....and the same is true for the conservatives.

I have plenty of fun, and am quite productive, being a liberal. But I also don't let my political views rule my life; there is much more to me than where I stand on any particular issue. Politics don't determine which activities I enjoy, whose company I enjoy, etc. I would recommend a similar lifestyle to anyone here. Politics are only a small part of my life as a whole - there's just too much else going on, too much that I'm more concerned with, to really let politics play a more major role. In the end, people aren't going to remember you for your political views.

And this is why I prefaced my initial post with "There are of course exceptions to every rule". Also, I think the person who is 100% liberal or 100% conservative are extremely rare if they exist at all. But you can't get around the fact that most Democrats are mostly liberal and most Republicans are mostly conservative though I could tick off several exceptions right off the top of my head.

But setting the anomalies and exceptions aside, I do honestly believe that in general the conservative mindset/values/ideology is conducive to self fulfillment, self esteem, and sense of well being all of which are usually the primary ingredients of happiness, whatever that is.

I further believe that many liberals have been brainwashed to believe that liberal = good and conservative = evil when if you quiz them on each individual value apart from the ideology, they would score consdierably more conservative than liberal. I firmly believe that the American people are far more conservative than liberal whether they know what they are or not.

AlbqOwl said:
see much that is good
that is being done.
rotten.

So are these the same things conservatives were saying and doing during the eight years of the Clinton administration?

Stace said:
1) WRONG. This is why I hardly ever respond to any of your posts - you have one of those "I know more than you do" attitudes, and you don't stop and THINK about what other people are saying. How can you sit there and say what I meant? Last time I checked, I'm the only one that knows exactly what I mean when I say things. It's not my fault that you want to twist things around and misinterpret my words.

2) WHERE have I bashed the "Religious Right"? I don't believe I ever have.

And again, where have I done this? There are just as many liberals that are religious.

1) Oh come on! You expect me to beleive that you didn't mean the same thing every other human being who speaks the English language and uses those words in that way would mean if they asked that question?!!!

You really expect anyone here to buy that what you wanted me to say was that I've known 142 liberals in my life? It WAS a rhetorical question.

You are really discrediting yourself by simply lying like this everytime someone calls you on things.

THIS is why I (and others) don't usually bother responding to your posts. You are intellectually dishonest, just as much as every other liberal I've known, and you just proved it.

2)
Stace said:
can provide for our contentment and happiness without having to drag imaginary sky creatures into the mix.

This is mocking religion.

And you are still arguing that my points are just my perception. One of these points was that Republicans are more religious. Hence, you are disputing that Republicans are more religious.

Maybe your problem is just that you make blanket statements when you argue. ;)

mixedmedia said:
So are these the same things conservatives were saying and doing during the eight years of the Clinton administration?

Doing? I'm talking about believing--a core value system. And yes, I do believe this is what conservatives were saying and believing during the eight years of the Clinton administration and the four years of Bush41 and eight years of Reagan and four years of Carter, etc. etc.

And we are talking generalities and philosophically here. Anecdotal evidence or various anomalies don't count in this discussion.

All you have to do is listen to the Democrats and/or other liberals talk on the talking head shows and see that they have nothing but complaints and criticism to offer. They are not happy people. You cannot be happy and see the world as all doom, gloom, misery, evil, and corruption. Happy people can see the good, the hope, the positive, the encouraging as well as the problems. Conservatives can do that these days. Liberals don't seem to have it in them.

Conservatives are simply the happier people.

Last edited:
aquapub said:
1) Oh come on! You expect me to beleive that you didn't mean the same thing every other human being who speaks the English language and uses those words in that way would mean if they asked that question?!!!

I asked you how many liberals you knew. There was no assuming that you did not know any, or not very many. I simply asked how many. It's not my fault that you try to read too much into things. Perhaps you should take things at face value more often.

You really expect anyone here to buy that what you wanted me to say was that I've known 142 liberals in my life? It WAS a rhetorical question.

I didn't ask for any exact number; there is no need to be belligerant.

I think I know what I wrote and what I intended a lot better than you. It was NOT a rhetorical question.

You are really discrediting yourself by simply lying like this everytime someone calls you on things.

You obviously don't read too many of my posts or the responses to them. I don't believe that anyone else has ever accused me of lying, nor have I ever not admitted when I was wrong. However, since my wording is what you want to argue about so badly, I must insist that YOU are wrong because you have no idea what MY intentions were.

THIS is why I (and others) don't usually bother responding to your posts.

Then by all means, place me on ignore. It won't hurt my feelings. But I don't see anyone else ignoring me when I direct posts at them, and even when I don't direct a post at any one person I am not ignored. So who's lying now?

You are intellectually dishonest, just as much as every other liberal I've known, and you just proved it.

Think what you like, but I'm sure there are many on this site that would disagree with you. But then again, this certainly isn't a popularity contest, and I really couldn't care less what you think of me or any other liberal.

Your statement just proves how narrow minded you are.

This is mocking religion.

It's called humor. You should try it sometime. I also noted that I was quoting another member.

And you are still arguing that my points are just my perception. One of these points was that Republicans are more religious. Hence, you are disputing that Republicans are more religious.

Yes, I am, because there are just as many liberals that are religious as there are conservatives.

Maybe your problem is just that you make blanket statements when you argue. ;)

Hardly.

AlbqOwl said:
Doing? I'm talking about believing--a core value system. And yes, I do believe this is what conservatives were saying and believing during the eight years of the Clinton administration and the four years of Bush41 and eight years of Reagan and four years of Carter, etc. etc.

And we are talking generalities and philosophically here. Anecdotal evidence or various anomalies don't count in this discussion.

All you have to do is listen to the Democrats and/or other liberals talk on the talking head shows and see that they have nothing but complaints and criticism to offer. They are not happy people. You cannot be happy and see the world as all doom, gloom, misery, evil, and corruption. Happy people can see the good, the hope, the positive, the encouraging as well as the problems. Conservatives can do that these days. Liberals don't seem to have it in them.

Conservatives are simply the happier people.

AlbqOwl I respect you and your opinion very much, but I don't see how you could have lived through the eight years of the Clinton administration and say that conservatives are just happy and positive all the time. I can't believe you could say that the liberal talking heads are all doom and gloom, but Limbaugh and Coulter are all about good and hope and positive things.

I am a liberal. I am happy. I am positive. I am hopeful. I am encouraging. And so is every other liberal that I am close to. Maybe some people are happy and some are not. Doesn't that seem a little more likely?

Conservatives are happier than Liberals? :confused:

Wow, I guess my Liberal aunt, a doctor, who has her own practice, married to my uncle, a Conservative electrical engineer, for 32 years forgot to read this in her Liberal handbook? :roll:

mixedmedia said:

Bingo - you hit the nail on the head. :applaud

This poll is a snapshot of one week in 06. A lot of Dems and I would venture to say Independents aren't happy that:

1. Bin Laden is still alive and threatening us.
2. The war in Iraq rages on.
3. 48 million Americans are uninsured.
4. The President is illegally spying on us.
5. Our government is torturing prisoners.
6. We have an 8 trilllion dollar debt.
7. Good jobs are being outsourced overseas.

etc. etc.

Take the same poll after the mid-term elections and see if the results are the same.

mixedmedia said:
AlbqOwl I respect you and your opinion very much, but I don't see how you could have lived through the eight years of the Clinton administration and say that conservatives are just happy and positive all the time. I can't believe you could say that the liberal talking heads are all doom and gloom, but Limbaugh and Coulter are all about good and hope and positive things.

I am a liberal. I am happy. I am positive. I am hopeful. I am encouraging. And so is every other liberal that I am close to. Maybe some people are happy and some are not. Doesn't that seem a little more likely?

Sure some people are happy and some are not. And nowhere did you see me even infer that ALL liberals are unhappy and ALL conservative are happy. But in the big picture, the whole overview, I believe my observations will prove to be correct. I already said anecdotal evidence can be discounted. It is only in seeing the big picture that you get the whole picture. I don't know why you think the Clinton years were any different from now, or even what who is in the White House has to do with it. The principles are principles unrelated to circumstances. And I believe they've held true in my lifetime and that lifetime spans a lot of presidencies as well as Democrat controlled congresses and Republican controlled congresses and long before Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh came on the scene.

AlbqOwl said:
Sure some people are happy and some are not. And nowhere did you see me even infer that ALL liberals are unhappy and ALL conservative are happy. But in the big picture, the whole overview, I believe my observations will prove to be correct. I already said anecdotal evidence can be discounted. It is only in seeing the big picture that you get the whole picture. I don't know why you think the Clinton years were any different from now, or even what who is in the White House has to do with it. The principles are principles unrelated to circumstances. And I believe they've held true in my lifetime and that lifetime spans a lot of presidencies as well as Democrat controlled congresses and Republican controlled congresses and long before Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh came on the scene.

I don't see how this proves anything, big picture or otherwise. People tend to be happier when things are going their way and there are a multitude of issues out there that liberals and conservatives care about - some currently favoring conservatives, some not. To infer that perhaps complaining about what you see as wrong in the world makes you, in effect, an unhappier person, only reinforces in my mind that political stance is irrelevant in the big picture. What about the fairly half of Americans that aren't politically minded at all? How does their happiness quotient break down? Are those who work at McDonald's generally happier than those who work at Wal-Mart? Or maybe it's those who like romance novels compared to those who like mysteries? How about Catholics are generally happier than Methodists? I think the whole question is a self-serving, meaningless opportunity for back-patting on the right.

mixedmedia said:
I don't see how this proves anything, big picture or otherwise. People tend to be happier when things are going their way and there are a multitude of issues out there that liberals and conservatives care about - some currently favoring conservatives, some not. To infer that perhaps complaining about what you see as wrong in the world makes you, in effect, an unhappier person, only reinforces in my mind that political stance is irrelevant in the big picture. What about the fairly half of Americans that aren't politically minded at all? How does their happiness quotient break down? Are those who work at McDonald's generally happier than those who work at Wal-Mart? Or maybe it's those who like romance novels compared to those who like mysteries? How about Catholics are generally happier than Methodists? I think the whole question is a self-serving, meaningless opportunity for back-patting on the right.

I'm with you, Mixey. And we are sorely outnumbered here.

Stace said:
I'm with you, Mixey. And we are sorely outnumbered here.
I don't care if we're outnumbered by folks who want to revel in this shallow argument for the sake of the ongoing (and tiresome!) conservative crusade to purport their superiority in every single way. I mean, if the theory is that they are somehow inherently better than liberals, then they're all over it like flies on roadkill. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being told that I'm inferior in every way to the moral rectitude and worldy wisdom of conservatives. Enough is enough.
If they want to debate legitimate issues then fine, they have my respectful attention and discourse. This is just stupid.

mixedmedia said:
I don't care if we're outnumbered by folks who want to revel in this shallow argument for the sake of the ongoing (and tiresome!) conservative crusade to purport their superiority in every single way. I mean, if the theory is that they are somehow inherently better than liberals, then they're all over it like flies on roadkill. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of being told that I'm inferior in every way to the moral rectitude and worldy wisdom of conservatives. Enough is enough.
If they want to debate legitimate issues then fine, they have my respectful attention and discourse. This is just stupid.

How right you are. Most people here are very respectful to others of different political views, but it's threads like this one that make you realize how childish some people can be. There are those that are here to seriously debate issues, though they can still have fun while doing so, and then there are some that are just out to try and spread their "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, and that could really care less what others have to say, as their mind is already made up.

Like I said earlier, I certainly don't base my happiness upon my political views, or who is in office at the time. Now, if someone had asked why women are happier than men, or why people that make more money are happier, that would be a more legitimate argument, because those are things you could actually try to prove. But I don't think any one person fits every single stereotype or "criteria" for their chosen political parties, so saying that "conservatives are happier because we believe this" or even "liberals are happier because we believe this" isn't really proveable, because not all conservatives or liberals believe that. Questions like this, and the ensuing answers, are nothing but speculation, opinion, and in the end, blanket statements. There is simply no way to prove who is happier, or why.

Stace said:
How right you are. Most people here are very respectful to others of different political views, but it's threads like this one that make you realize how childish some people can be. There are those that are here to seriously debate issues, though they can still have fun while doing so, and then there are some that are just out to try and spread their "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, and that could really care less what others have to say, as their mind is already made up.

Like I said earlier, I certainly don't base my happiness upon my political views, or who is in office at the time. Now, if someone had asked why women are happier than men, or why people that make more money are happier, that would be a more legitimate argument, because those are things you could actually try to prove. But I don't think any one person fits every single stereotype or "criteria" for their chosen political parties, so saying that "conservatives are happier because we believe this" or even "liberals are happier because we believe this" isn't really proveable, because not all conservatives or liberals believe that. Questions like this, and the ensuing answers, are nothing but speculation, opinion, and in the end, blanket statements. There is simply no way to prove who is happier, or why.

Right on, Stace. :2wave:

Stace said:
1) I asked you how many liberals you knew. There was no assuming that you did not know any, or not very many. I simply asked how many. It's not my fault that you try to read too much into things. Perhaps you should take things at face value more often.

2) I don't believe that anyone else has ever accused me of lying, nor have I ever not admitted when I was wrong.

3) when I don't direct a post at any one person I am not ignored.

4) It's called humor. I also noted that I was quoting another member.

5) Yes, I am, because there are just as many liberals that are religious as there are conservatives.

1) Translation: Refuse to admit when you are proved wrong.

2) I've witnessed you distort your own plain English words to avoid admitting you are wrong before, and as long as you keep doing this, it won't be the last time someone accuses you of it.

3) There are people here who know what you are going to say, so they skip past your posts. That is being ignored.

4) "Taking" from another member "sort of" is what you called it, actually. This was not a quote. And it became humor instead of ridicule only when you were proved wrong with it.

5) Good luck selling that. Just don't call it "humor" later when I use this against you.

Back
Top Bottom