• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Abortion destroys the family unit

Oh, great idea!

Perhaps we could expand that to all the Right to Lifer's et al who are proud of America's Collateral Damage record posing in front of all the skulls and fetuses of the innocent moms and dads and children and unborn fetuses of all those victims we routinely and acceptably kill in our so called "war on terror"?

I would love to see that pile put in front of the dais of a joint session of Congress along with all the living Presidents in attendance to each speak about how all those skulls represent anything good.

You'll have to harang someone else. I have opposed the "War on Terror" since its inception.

Maybe you've missed my opinions on war criminals Dubya, Cheney, Rumsfeld (Dead) and Powell (dead also).

You are mistaken. There is no claim that we had a right to be born. Our being born is a result of the choice of our mothers, her right, not ours. There is no hypocrisy there.

Women who gave birth to children after Roe V. Wade had a choice.

Women before that didn't have a choice.

So people like me who were born before Roe V. Wade were not a choice.

Our mothers had no choice for a legal abortion.

When they got pregnant, they gave birth whether they wanted to or not.

@maquiscat
According to Websters Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, viability of a fetus means having reached such a stage of development as to be capable of living, under normal conditions, outside the uterus.

This is what I am stuck on. NICU rooms are definitely not normal conditions. This definition requires a baby to not need any technology outside the delivery room.

Regardless of how you word it you are still discriminating against a people group (unborn children)
No, I'm not. The unborn are not a people group. "People" is one of the plurals of "person." The Unborn are not persons, so they are not people. They are embryos and fetuses.

When people in the US have had people in certain states vote on fetal personhood amendments, these have always lost. The majority of people do not want fetuses to have the rights of persons even in the states where there is the greatest support for it.

Certainly there were birth control choices in the US before Roe. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control_in_the_United_States

"Birth control before 20th century[edit]​

"See also: Womb veil
"The practice of birth control was common throughout the U.S. prior to 1914, when the movement to legalize contraception began. Longstanding techniques included the rhythm method, withdrawal, diaphragms, contraceptive sponges[citation needed], condoms, prolonged breastfeeding, and spermicides[citation needed].[2] Use of contraceptives increased throughout the nineteenth century, contributing to a 50 percent drop in the fertility rate in the United States between 1800 and 1900, particularly in urban regions.[3] The only known survey conducted during the nineteenth century of American women's contraceptive habits was performed by Clelia Mosher from 1892 to 1912.[4] The survey was based on a small sample of upper-class women, and shows that most of the women used contraception (primarily douching, but also withdrawal, rhythm, condoms and pessaries) and that they viewed sex as a pleasurable act that could be undertaken without the goal of procreation.[5]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

M. Sanger & Planned Parenthood moved contraception in general, in the US, into medical circles; & crowded out the herbalists & midwives who had traditionally provided family services.

Partly correct. Prior to RvW, many states had already gone to legal abortion. So whether a given woman had a choice for legal abortion or not depended on where she lived. However, she still had a choice. Illegal abortions were available, as well as travel to a legal state. Although I will concede that in some cases, be it due to lack of resources or knowledge, the abortion choice can be rendered moot.

In any case, my point that we who are born do not become so because of some right to be born, stands.

@maquiscat

This is what I am stuck on. NICU rooms are definitely not normal conditions. This definition requires a baby to not need any technology outside the delivery room.
You seem to ignore the rest of that section, which expressly mentions medical technology and knowledge.

But ask yourself this. What is normal? It is subjective really. What is normal medical technology today, was not in the past and will not be in the future. At some point, artificial womb may well be normal medical technology.

If you look at the wiki article, it does show how the definition of viability differs around the world. Yes in some places, that would mean, can live without any machine aid. But we normally use machines to aid adults, so why would it not be normal to use it to aid premature babies?

You seem to ignore the rest of that section, which expressly mentions medical technology and knowledge.

But ask yourself this. What is normal? It is subjective really. What is normal medical technology today, was not in the past and will not be in the future. At some point, artificial womb may well be normal medical technology.

If you look at the wiki article, it does show how the definition of viability differs around the world. Yes in some places, that would mean, can live without any machine aid. But we normally use machines to aid adults, so why would it not be normal to use it to aid premature babies?

"Normal" for a newborn baby means going home with the mother because most babies can do that.

"Normal" for a newborn baby means going home with the mother because most babies can do that.
Which would put things at odds with the idea of viability. Especially when we are using it as an end point to when an abortion can be done. All premature birth that we expect to be able to live even if it requires medical care would per force be after the point of viability. That is why the point of the level of medical tech/knowledge would be key to when viability occurs.

Which would put things at odds with the idea of viability. Especially when we are using it as an end point to when an abortion can be done. All premature birth that we expect to be able to live even if it requires medical care would per force be after the point of viability. That is why the point of the level of medical tech/knowledge would be key to when viability occurs.

We also need to consider the probability of coning through after life support is disconnected. How long should doctors wait to give up on the baby?

I'm not going to agree exactly. Women before Roe v Wade did have access to contraception and some people used it rigorously. My mom was one of them. She and my dad decided to have a child each time before my mom got pregnant, and my sister and I were definitely products of such choices.

Nonetheless, we are also both people who have always supported the right to choose for women after they got pregnant, and it is true that this has expanded the number of children who were choices.

We also need to consider the probability of coning through after life support is disconnected. How long should doctors wait to give up on the baby?
My grandson was born at 26-27 weeks. He was in NICU for well over two month and remains on oxygen right now. If nothing else, you keep them on until you know they cannot be sustained or they can survive on their own, or with any supplement that a child or adult gets nowadays as well.

My grandson was born at 26-27 weeks. He was in NICU for well over two month and remains on oxygen right now. If nothing else, you keep them on until you know they cannot be sustained or they can survive on their own, or with any supplement that a child or adult gets nowadays as well.
Lets hope the little angel will get well and strong.

Is he fine otherwise?

No, I'm not. The unborn are not a people group. "People" is one of the plurals of "person." The Unborn are not persons, so they are not people. They are embryos and fetuses.
Nope they most definitely are people. Go ahead and look in the dumpster of your local planned parenthood and you should be able to find some dismembered remains test your radical idea and and have the DNA analyzed. I'm 110% certain it will come back as "human" DNA. Not banana, not werewolf, not ZEF and not fetus. You wouldn't kill a sapling, would you? Because you know its going to grow into a big beautiful tree eventually. just because it wasn't sticking out of the ground yet.

#youhavetoeatyourlunchbyyourself

James Wilson, a Founder who signed the Declaration of Independence taught, “With consistency, beautiful and undeviating, human life, from its commencement (in the womb) to its close, is protected by the common law.” (God’s Law!)” The life in the womb is protected from immediate destruction, and every degree of violence and danger.

That doesn't make any more sense than the previous response.
My point is Sanger was a very evil person with very evil intent.

Perhaps this will clear some things up for you.

1642045850463.png

1642046491186.png

Attachments

• 1642045964906.png
    1642045964906.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 0
Those laws specifically state that abortion is not a violation of any supposed given rights.
Just illustrating the fact that we have a double standard in our society. Main take away here is that a majority of states give the fetus just as much right to live as the mother. So your argument gets a little wonkey sometimes when you guys try to move the goal posts and claim they arent human beings. Sure they are, and 38 states recognize them as human beings, since murder is defined as the unlawful act of one human killing another. Otherwise, if they didn't care, there would never be a 2nd murder charge.

So if they have no rights why do 38 states (the majority) believe that two counts of murder are justifiable when a pregnant women is killed? If the ZEF/fetus/etc had no rights as you stated multiple times, there would never be a second murder charge, since murder is defined as one human killing another unlawfully. So 38 states disagree with your premise.. just FYI

Partly correct. Prior to RvW, many states had already gone to legal abortion. So whether a given woman had a choice for legal abortion or not depended on where she lived. However, she still had a choice. Illegal abortions were available, as well as travel to a legal state. Although I will concede that in some cases, be it due to lack of resources or knowledge, the abortion choice can be rendered moot.

In any case, my point that we who are born do not become so because of some right to be born, stands.

No not partially correct.

The first state to legalize abortion in the US was Colorado in 1966.

I am a baby boomer.

My mother and all women before 1966 had absolutely no choice here in America to have a safe and legal abortion.

My state legalized it in 1968. Eight years after I was born and six years after my mom had her last child.

There were a handful of states that legalized it before Roe V Wade but that was in the 1960s. But it was illegal in most states until Roe V Wade and most women in America had no choice.

Before that all women in America had no choice.

Including my mom. My siblings and I were not a choice. Most children born before abortion was legal were not by choice. When a woman got pregnant, they had that child whether they wanted to or not. And it wasn't very long ago.

So I should have clarified it more.

I'm not going to agree exactly. Women before Roe v Wade did have access to contraception and some people used it rigorously. My mom was one of them. She and my dad decided to have a child each time before my mom got pregnant, and my sister and I were definitely products of such choices.

Nonetheless, we are also both people who have always supported the right to choose for women after they got pregnant, and it is true that this has expanded the number of children who were choices.

The pill came out in 1960 the year I was born.

It wasn't widely available in the baby boom years. In fact it came out 4 years before the boom ended. Which I believe the pill is what ended the boom.

My mom used what most women used before the pill. The rhythm method. Which pretty much didn't work because people didn't know that the X chromosome stayed alive in the woman's body up to 3 days after sex. So if she ovulated in that time, she got pregnant and had a girl. Which is why there were so many female births in that time.

The only form of birth control that was reliable and worked that was available to my mom was having her tubes tied which she did after her fourth child was born. She immediately went from the delivery room to the OR to get her tubes tied.

Children born after the baby boom years and the pill may have been a choice but generations before us and us boomers weren't. When our moms got pregnant, they gave birth to a child whether they wanted to or not.

Lets hope the little angel will get well and strong.
Is he fine otherwise?
He's doing good so far. My point in bringing him up is to point out that were he in some other countries, he would not have made it. The viability point would have been later in the gestation. But because of technology he was able to survive. In fact part of that were drugs that accelerated his growth. Because of them, his lungs were more developed that they normally would have been at 26 weeks, and he came out pink instead of grey, as a lot of real early premmies do.

My point is Sanger was a very evil person with very evil intent.

Perhaps this will clear some things up for you.

View attachment 67368976

View attachment 67368979
Understand that there are a lot of pro-choice people who feel that Sanger was wrong in her goals and misused abortion towards that. That does not automatically mean abortion itself is a problem. The Nazis did a lot of medical experiments on Jews, and horrible as they were, there is a lot that was learned that we use to this day. Additionally, abortion was legal and was not an uncommon procedure in the US from it's founding until around the 1860's when the first laws banning abortion started up. So it wasn't just a Sanger thing. Basically Sanger is a red herring in the overall issue.

Just illustrating the fact that we have a double standard in our society. Main take away here is that a majority of states give the fetus just as much right to live as the mother. So your argument gets a little wonkey sometimes when you guys try to move the goal posts and claim they arent human beings. Sure they are, and 38 states recognize them as human beings, since murder is defined as the unlawful act of one human killing another. Otherwise, if they didn't care, there would never be a 2nd murder charge.
Not as much of a double standard as you claim. If anyone is taking of another's bodily resources without consent (this can be anything ranging from organ theft to rape and many other things), then the used has a right to have it stopped, even if it is because they withdrew consent. If the only way to stop the user, results in the user's death, the user is the one in violation of the used's right to start with. Now if possible, the user should not be terminated, but that right to life doesn't get to override the right of bodily autonomy when the user is the one violating the right. Do you have any way of ending the violation of the woman's bodily autonomy rights if she doesn't consent to the use of her bodily resources without terminating the offspring?

No not partially correct.

The first state to legalize abortion in the US was Colorado in 1966.

I am a baby boomer.

My mother and all women before 1966 had absolutely no choice here in America to have a safe and legal abortion.

My state legalized it in 1968. Eight years after I was born and six years after my mom had her last child.

There were a handful of states that legalized it before Roe V Wade but that was in the 1960s. But it was illegal in most states until Roe V Wade and most women in America had no choice.

Before that all women in America had no choice.

Including my mom. My siblings and I were not a choice. Most children born before abortion was legal were not by choice. When a woman got pregnant, they had that child whether they wanted to or not. And it wasn't very long ago.

So I should have clarified it more.
Still a choice available, within the bounds I noted. I did specify about illegal abortions being available. Note that I was not responding initially to a point about legal vs illegal abortions and how safe either were or were not. I was making a point on the idea of whether or not we had a right to be born. I'm willing to go over the exchange again when I get to my laptop, if you want. I might have missed some wording along the way that would alter my logic chain.

Back
Top Bottom