• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who does America "belong to?"

When one says America belongs to this group or that group, which group should be included?

• 2. White Christians. America was build on white Christianity and should remain thus.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Any European.

• 5. Anyone who speaks American, those who don't, aren't American.

• 6. America "belongs" to the righteous, those with conservative values.

• 8. America belongs to those who are "Woke."

• Total voters
That’s not true though. The US retains all kinds of British names and symbols. Multiple US states are named for British royalty, numerous geographic places etc

The reason to hate that Canada did it is because the same class of rootless cosmopolitans who imposed it on Canada (Lester Pearson explicitly rejected the idea of holding a plebiscite on the flag issue, he had remarkable foresight because later New Zealand would try to dispose of the blue ensign and the NZ national party made the mistake of putting it up to a vote where it was defeated) want to strip Americans of their identity and culture.

Canada doesn’t exist without the colonial past
It's super weird when the people complaining about "rootless cosmopolitans stripping America/Canada of their identity and culture" turn out to be Anglophiles. If you want to drink tea, we dumped it in Boston Harbor. 🇺🇸

Quick poll to gauge who deserves to be an America. Who (or what group of people) does America belong to?

Choices in the poll above.

Multiple choices available.
Wouldn't that depend on how you define 'belong to?"

Are we talking who has control?
Who benefits most?

Who should have control?

But then, how are we defining "control"?

Are we talking who has the most influence over the government?

Edit: And how are we quantifying that?

It's super weird when the people complaining about "rootless cosmopolitans stripping America/Canada of their identity and culture" turn out to be Anglophiles
The ruling elite throughout most of American history were anglophiles. It wasn’t until mass immigration from Ireland that should’ve been stopped in its infancy that anti-British sentiment erupted. The American revolution was not an ideological revolution, we largely adopted British style government, and our treaty with Britain at the end of the war created massive trade and fishing rights resolution for both nations
. If you want to drink tea, we dumped it in Boston Harbor. 🇺🇸
Tea is a multibillion dollar business in America

Last edited:
The ruling elite throughout most of American history were anglophiles. It wasn’t until mass immigration from Ireland that should’ve been stopped in its infancy that anti-British sentiment erupted.
Your particular brand of nationalism is one of the weirdest I have encountered, and I can't figure it out. You don't like "rootless cosmopolitans stripping America of its identity", but you also don't want any identity separate from our colonial overseer that hasn't governed us for 250 years. You chastise Canada and New Zealand for wanting a non-British identity, but label India a totally foreign culture with whom we have nothing in common. And you're generally anti-immigrant, but make an exception for Mexicans and Filipinos because they're Catholic like you, and yet you still want an "Irish need not apply" sign because they disturb WASP hegemony.

Tea is a multibillion dollar business in America
So is Chinese food.

That’s not true though. The US retains all kinds of British names and symbols. Multiple US states are named for British royalty, numerous geographic places etc
So does Canada. Your whinging about the Canadian flag and national anthem doesn't make much sense given the US is far worse in having removed the British flag from all of its symbols and the national anthem has no connections to Britain.

The reason to hate that Canada did it is because the same class of rootless cosmopolitans who imposed it on Canada (Lester Pearson explicitly rejected the idea of holding a plebiscite on the flag issue, he had remarkable foresight because later New Zealand would try to dispose of the blue ensign and the NZ national party made the mistake of putting it up to a vote where it was defeated) want to strip Americans of their identity and culture.
Good lord, what a bunch of bizarre whinging. It's amusing that you find people putting to vote changing the flag a negative thing, and more bizarre still that you're equating this to what's going on here. Last I checked, we have no Union Jack iconography in any of our symbols, and I don't think you're going to get many Americans thinking about colonial rule in a favorable light; it's kind of what happens when colonials fight for their independence.

Canada doesn’t exist without the colonial past
It is a product of its colonial past, but it exists as what it has evolved into as a nation; the same is true of all nations.

Wouldn't that depend on how you define 'belong to?"

Are we talking who has control?
Who benefits most?

Who should have control?

But then, how are we defining "control"?

Are we talking who has the most influence over the government?

Edit: And how are we quantifying that?
As in takin ownership. My house belongs to me. So, there are those who claim that America belongs to them, and by extension, not anyone that isn't part of their group.

It does. And joined in love together, the thistle shamrock and rose entwine, the maple leaf forever

The thistle is Scotland, the Rose is England, and the Shamrock is Ireland. The nations of the United Kingdom are joined in love together, entwining the maple leaf forever. It’s literally in the song
Way to miss the humorous comment I was making to someone else.
🤭

Way to miss the humorous comment I was making to someone else.
🤭
Just FYI, some people are not worth the breath. The more you respond to them, the more they try to goad you. Ignore is a lovely feature.

Soros. Didn't you hear?

All US citizens. And all green card holders who intend to become citizens and are on track to doing so.

Honestly I'd say it belongs to anyone who happens to be here at the moment, regardless of whatever they plan to do tomorrow. We live where we live. Status is obviously going to vary, but if you're asking who is deserving of basic protections under the law, everybody who happens to be here now.

No. Canadian “nationalism” is based on hating Canada’s history and traditions

That super gay national anthem and dumb Peruvian knock off flag were only invented in the 1960s to strip Canadians of British identity.

Before 1965 this was Canadas flag

View attachment 67500620

And this was the national anthem

I’ll let you guess which political aisle changed these

Yeah, all that happened around the time we got a 'constitution', a lead-anchor albatross-around-the-neck document that's nothing more than a monument to the hubris of it's authors. Constitutions have been proven time and time again to be encumbrances to acceptable social evolution.

Quick poll to gauge who deserves to be an America. Who (or what group of people) does America belong to?

Without "Other" and a further definition of "America," this is a poorly worded poll,

South America, Central America, and North America are all included in the name "America."

Originally, all of them belonged to Native Americans, as they were the first people here.

If only North America is included, then it originally "belonged" to Native North Americans. However, if you would like to include more recent people and the countries "Canada" and "the United States," then you should have to specify that. "Canada" would then belong to citizens of "Canada" and "the United States" would belong to citizens of "the United States."

In that case, everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, color, sex, age, etc., who is a citizen would belong, and that would include all the Native Americans who are citizens of those nations.

The notion that some elite group is the only one to whom either nation belongs is like saying that, at an earlier time, Chicago belonged to the Mafia.

Without "Other" and a further definition of "America," this is a poorly worded poll,

South America, Central America, and North America are all included in the name "America."

Originally, all of them belonged to Native Americans, as they were the first people here.

If only North America is included, then it originally "belonged" to Native North Americans. However, if you would like to include more recent people and the countries "Canada" and "the United States," then you should have to specify that. "Canada" would then belong to citizens of "Canada" and "the United States" would belong to citizens of "the United States."

In that case, everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, color, sex, age, etc., who is a citizen would belong, and that would include all the Native Americans who are citizens of those nations.

The notion that some elite group is the only one to whom either nation belongs is like saying that, at an earlier time, Chicago belonged to the Mafia.
I already addressed your question in my responses to others on here. But to repeat (since apparently I have to since you missed my responses)
Canadians refer to themselves as Canadians, Mexicans as Mexicans, and Brazilian as Brazilian. Americans who live in the US of A refer to themselves as Americans. Occasionally as a US citizen, but when most are asked, they say "I am American." I hope that clears it up for you.

Your particular brand of nationalism is one of the weirdest I have encountered, and I can't figure it out. You don't like "rootless cosmopolitans stripping America of its identity", but you also don't want any identity separate from our colonial overseer that hasn't governed us for 250 years. You chastise Canada and New Zealand
To correct, New Zealand rejected changing their flag in a plebiscite. The leader of the National party during that election now states if he knew it would be rejected he wouldn’t have even put the issue for a vote and changed it anyway. In Canada in 1965 most Canadians wanted to keep the old flag which is why Lester Pearson refused to hold an election in the issue
for wanting a non-British identity, but label India a totally foreign culture with whom we have nothing in common.
Because it is.
And you're generally anti-immigrant, but make an exception for Mexicans and Filipinos because they're Catholic like you,
And because A) Mexico is our bordering country with a similar culture and some shared history with America and B) the Philippines were an American possession which creates an obligation and a relationship.
and yet you still want an "Irish need not apply" sign because they disturb WASP hegemony.
I think there was massive problems with how Irish nationalism morphed into an American thing where Americans with Irish ancestry have labored to sabotage American English relations while perpetrating hoaxes like the potato famine was a “genocide”

During the terrorism campaign of the IRA in the 1970s Ted Kennedy were running interference for selling semi automatic rifles to the PIRA while trying to ban them for Americans
So is Chinese food.

And Greenland?

Is that America or Europe?

Geopolitically, Greenland is European (part of Denmark). Geographically, Greenland is part of North American.

I have lived in Vancouver for 44 years. It has been my experienced that asked where they are from usually Yankees say the name of the nearest city, as though the whole world should know where is Akron. If they are asked specifically they will say "I am American." "Are you American?" is always answered yes.

No Canadian EVER said those words unless they were being tortured. No Mexican would ever say those words unless they were in "America"

Your song is "Glod Bless America" (does that mean Canada and Mexico and Guatemala and San Salvador?) Almost everything is the "American...." whatever from the AAA to the ASPCA.

If you don't want to be called American stop calling yourselves American. You can make the American Medical Association the Yankee Medical Association. Go tell a life long resident of Alabama or Georgia that they are a Yankee and see what happens! When my grandmother (from Georgia) wanted to call my grandfather (from Michigan) a derogatory name she disgustedly called him a Yankee. ;-)

As in takin ownership. My house belongs to me. So, there are those who claim that America belongs to them, and by extension, not anyone that isn't part of their group.
Then, I claim that America collectively belongs to all the people who live in it's lands.

Excluding persons who are briefly visiting for tourism or trade purposes, if it need be said.

The correct answer is not listed. But it is rather obvious.

America belongs to the super-rich.

The "We the people" thing is a ruse. It's really "It the money."

The correct answer is not listed. But it is rather obvious.

America belongs to the super-rich.
9. America belongs to the powerful, the rich, the entitled.

I answered based on who it should belong to. It’s hard to know if it does though.

Another stupid comment.

The private rich and corporations are regularly taken down by the judicial system down when they break US law.
It's a shame when someone rebuts out of ignorance because they weren't able to follow the conversation. Maybe go back and see which comment I was responding to and then take another look at the options in the poll.
Hint, I was responding to someone who said to me that the option for the very rich was not in the poll and my answer was that it was in the poll. So, who exactly is the one making stupid comments? :rolleyes:

If you are born here, you deserve to be an American.
If you are a naturalized citizen, you deserve to be an American.

Arising from extraordinary service to the U.S., exceptional personal circumstances, or needed skills, others may deserve to be here without being an American or desiring to be an American.

America belongs to the Americans. What that means varies over time. As far as I'm concerned, the Greatest Transition began with our mobilization for WWII. All the nation's isolated racial and ethnic enclaves were melded into a common purpose and there was no going back. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom