• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

White House Press Corp Changes

I agree. I don't like the idea of the president picking a handful of media outlets to talk to. I also don't like same privileged few news outlets only having access. Both are bias, unfair and lead to the corrupt truth twisting propaganda that has become our news.

Wasn't that the original Trump idea? There are 49 seats in the present press room. Trump wanted to move it to a larger venue.

Today there are thousands of news outlets. All growing except the main stream media and press. I'd rather see far larger news coverage.

It is even more important that they are not afraid to ask the tough questions that any President must face. If Trump has control of who he admits that will not be possible. It is a breech of the 1st amendment and cannot stand.

Many All of your posts in this thread that refer to it show a serious lack of understanding when it comes to the 1st Amendment. The Press has no Right to even BE at the White House, much less have access to the President. If a President wanted they could completely ignore the Press or just speak to one or two of them if the President so chose to. Just as it is their Right to ask questions, a President (or anyone for that matter) has a Right to NOT answer questions or even make themselves not available to the Press or available to only certain press people. The Right to Free Speech includes the Right to not say anything at all.

I don't care if you don't like the idea of Trump selecting who he talks to from the Press, I don't like it either, but at least learn about something before you start making claims about it.

It is even more important that they are not afraid to ask the tough questions that any President must face. If Trump has control of who he admits that will not be possible. It is a breech of the 1st amendment and cannot stand.

Really, are we that naive? If you want to be called on by the POTUS, you will toe the line. Or become invisible. The WH doesn't have to control who it admits. It only has to control who asks the questions. And THAT, Iguanaman, has been happening for YEARS.

Really, are we that naive? If you want to be called on by the POTUS, you will toe the line. Or become invisible. The WH doesn't have to control who it admits. It only has to control who asks the questions. And THAT, Iguanaman, has been happening for YEARS.

"The WH doesn't have to control who it admits" Thank-you for agreeing with me. Trump will not get special treatment.

Many All of your posts in this thread that refer to it show a serious lack of understanding when it comes to the 1st Amendment. The Press has no Right to even BE at the White House, much less have access to the President. If a President wanted they could completely ignore the Press or just speak to one or two of them if the President so chose to. Just as it is their Right to ask questions, a President (or anyone for that matter) has a Right to NOT answer questions or even make themselves not available to the Press or available to only certain press people. The Right to Free Speech includes the Right to not say anything at all.

I don't care if you don't like the idea of Trump selecting who he talks to from the Press, I don't like it either, but at least learn about something before you start making claims about it.

You are mistaking what I said. Trump may not CONTROL the press and that IS against the 1st amendment. I said nothing about whether he must speak to them. Holding a "news conference" where everyone in the room is in his pocket is controlling the press and that is what Trump is attempting to do.

Last edited:
There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that would be violated if Trump kicked the Press corps out of the WH. Or even parts of it. You have a silly argument here.

Fine I hope he does. It will show the people who he really is. But he won't get to call a "Press conference" where he only gets people in the room that he chooses. If he does not want to hear both sides then that is what he should say. Otherwise he is making a mockery of our free press and he will not be getting away with that.

Last edited:
You are mistaking what I said. Trump may not CONTROL the press and that IS against the 1st amendment. I said nothing about whether he must speak to them. Holding a "news conference" where everyone in the room is in his pocket is controlling the press and that is what Trump is attempting to do.

Nice try, but he is doing no more than any other President in regards to the Press. Or are you really going to try and tell me that no President has ever decided who gets to ask questions and who doesn't?

*Press hollering questions at President*
President: *points at a reporter* Yes Mr. Kosinski?
*CNN Reporter Mr. Kosinski asks question*
*President answers question in typical Politician double speak*
President: That will be all folks thank you. *exits stage left never letting another reporter from any other news source ask questions*

Like I said, you have a silly argument.

Nice try, but he is doing no more than any other President in regards to the Press. Or are you really going to try and tell me that no President has ever decided who gets to ask questions and who doesn't?

*Press hollering questions at President*
President: *points at a reporter* Yes Mr. Kosinski?
*CNN Reporter Mr. Kosinski asks question*
*President answers question in typical Politician double speak*
President: That will be all folks thank you. *exits stage left never letting another reporter from any other news source ask questions*

Like I said, you have a silly argument.

And you are making an even sillier one. Trump wants to have press conferences but only ones with questions that suit his agenda. That is not a press conference it is a mutual admiration convention and nothing but propaganda. I can't believe that you can't see the difference. It is just as important that people can see what Trump does not do as what he does. That we will see what questions he will not answer as well as those he will. Why would Trump need to shield himself from some reporters, what is he afraid of?

Last edited:
And you are making an even sillier one. Trump wants to have press conferences but only ones with questions that suit his agenda. That is not a press conference it is a mutual admiration convention. I can't believe that you can't see the difference.

And this is different from any other politician how exactly? Or did you not understand the example that I gave?

And you are making an even sillier one. Trump wants to have press conferences but only ones with questions that suit his agenda. That is not a press conference it is a mutual admiration convention and nothing but propaganda. I can't believe that you can't see the difference. It is just as important that people can see what Trump does not do as what he does. That we will see what questions he will not answer as well as those he will. Why would Trump need to shield himself from some reporters, what is he afraid of?

What makes you think Trump wants to have press conferences?

And this is different from any other politician how exactly? Or did you not understand the example that I gave?

No other President has asked to choose who is in the room at a press conference. Why is he special and what is he afraid of? Controling who gets to ask questions allows him to control the questions. How is that a free press?

What are you talking about?? Please name this media who are in his pocket. And please explain just how Trump is trying to control the press. By giving pressers in larger rooms? What talking points are YOU reading??

What makes you think Trump wants to have press conferences?

Why? Have you heard him say otherwise? He wants to have the publicity as long as he is in control but in a REAL press conference there are tough questions asked. That is how it is and you know it.

What are you talking about?? Please name this media who are in his pocket. And please explain just how Trump is trying to control the press. By giving pressers in larger rooms? What talking points are YOU reading??

Ok how about this. What is Trump afraid of that requires him to choose who gets to ask him questions? Does that sound like a free press to you? Do you remember this....

This is un-American and un-constitutional. America deserves a free press, and there is no reason to shut down a network simply because it supports traditional American views. The left can’t win debates so they often try to silence their opposition. And Obama is using his apparently endless power to silence Fox. And he’s announcing it, in hopes of scaring the network into being softer in their White House coverage.

Do you oppose Obama’s plan to censor Fox News? Please leave us a comment and tell us what you think.
Read more: AWFUL! Barack Obama Announces Plan to CENSOR Fox News (MUST READ) - The Political Insider

Did Obama kick FOX news out of press conferences or censor FOX news? No he could not . Trump is now trying to do the same and you support it?

Last edited:
Ok how about this. What is Trump afraid of that requires him to choose who gets to ask him questions? Does that sound like a free press to you?

Straw man. You made the accusations. Now support 'em.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure how that works exactly. I think the president is required to address the people. I could be wrong but isn't that the state of the union address and such. It would be nice to know for sure if someone does know. I will try to look it up as well.

Why? Have you heard him say otherwise? He wants to have the publicity as long as he is in control but in a REAL press conference there are tough questions asked. That is how it is and you know it.

I haven't heard him say one way or the other.

But YOU are the one who said he wants them. You even emphasized the word "wants".

But given the rest of your post, you are doing much the same to Trump as you do to me and many others on this forum: Assigning attitudes and positions that have not been expressed.

So...what your post establishes is that Trump wants to have press conferences because you think he wants to have press conferences...not because he's given any indication that he wants them.

Ok how about this. What is Trump afraid of that requires him to choose who gets to ask him questions? Does that sound like a free press to you? Do you remember this....

I don't think he is afraid.

I think he is tired of the select few media outlets bias reporting of what he is saying and the twisting of the truth confusing the people. I think he is tired of fighting bias news agencies constantly twisting the message he is trying to get to the people. We know the interest of the people is of no consideration to these corrupt bias news organizations. Their main concern is making money off or hype, scandal, and twisting anything and everything to their supporters point of view. This is especially true of certain news organizations whose agenda is supporting a particular parties point of view over the truth. Bringing in more open minded fact driven news agencies in a larger venue is a good move for not only a president wanting to get his message accurately to the people but for the people as well.

No other President has asked to choose who is in the room at a press conference. Why is he special and what is he afraid of? Controling who gets to ask questions allows him to control the questions. How is that a free press?

Trump isn't asking to be able to choose who is in the room at a press conference...he already has that right. The press has placed him in a position in which he must choose.

Controlling who gets to ask questions...as has been pointed out to you by other forum members...is a decision that ALL Presidents...or any person holding a press conference...gets to make.

I personally would love to see Trump kick a few of these corrupt, bias, and truth twisting news agency out of the press room permanently. These corrupt agenda driven agencies are not providing news. They are confusing and disrupting our leaders ability to communicate with the people he represents. All a lot of these news agencies are doing is twisting the message to the people from what the president wants to convey to some misleading propaganda. They should be removed. I want to know what my president is trying to tell me. Not some twisted version provided by an agenda seeking, party driven, propaganda outlet pretending to be news.

Just reading between the lines, I am thinking Trump knows he will not get honest or fair reporting from the huge lion's share of MSM representatives who are assigned those chairs in the old White House press room. So, he depends on his Twitter account to get around them, and then intends to make room for more representatives of the 'underground press' who are more fair and honest in their reporting.

And yeah, I can see how that would be terrifying to reporters from CNN, ABC, MSNBC, NBC, CBS etc. who would no longer be able to control the message they want to get out at all.
Tehy stupidley paved the way for this by whining about Trump being more inclusive.

Yeah, Goodbye CNN, NYT, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, WASHINGTON POST... C-YA!!!!

you disagree with the assessments of several of our intelligence agencies?

Wait, so you're saying there were weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq?
You're saying that our intelligence agencies aren't collecting massive amounts of information on the American people?
Because our intelligence agencies never lie to the American people right?

Freedom of the press is not qualified by any pre-conditions. If a reporter is unfair it would be up to the people and the Press corps to decide not Trump. There must not be any muzzling or even the appearance of it. It Trump cannot handle it he should not have run.

CNN is still free to make up stories just like before...Now they're just not going to be asking Trump questions directly.

CNN is still free to make up stories just like before...Now they're just not going to be asking Trump questions directly.

Why is Trump afraid of the press? What is he hiding? Why is this any different than Obama's "assault" on FOX News?

This is un-American and un-constitutional. America deserves a free press, and there is no reason to shut down a network simply because it supports traditional American views. The left can’t win debates so they often try to silence their opposition. And Obama is using his apparently endless power to silence Fox. And he’s announcing it, in hopes of scaring the network into being softer in their White House coverage.

Read more: AWFUL! Barack Obama Announces Plan to CENSOR Fox News (MUST READ) - The Political Insider

Last edited:
Wasn't that the original Trump idea? There are 49 seats in the present press room. Trump wanted to move it to a larger venue.

Today there are thousands of news outlets. All growing except the main stream media and press. I'd rather see far larger news coverage.

Yes...Trump offered to be more accomodating to the thousands of thousands of news organizations.

Liberals, desperate to squelch free speech and silence opinions different than their own, engaged in a revolt. So the press room is staying exactly where it is and Trump is going to choose who gets to attend.

Back
Top Bottom