• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"White collar crimes" kept secret

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have a neighbor who just got charged in U. S. District court for fraud to the tune of almost $2 million, while under judicial restraint from offering investment schemes at all due to prior fraud charges, convicted, awaiting sentencing.

How does one get access to the list of victims? The newspaper article says that District Court "identifies" list of victims but there was no list and there is nothing when I search google.

I would like to know who they are because I figure some of them might be somewhat complicit in their own situation and perhaps even be scammers themselves. How can I avoid crooks if the courts won't identify them?

Any legal eagles out there with answers?

Just guessing, Google won't suffice. Likely you will have to go down to courthouse and go through the records there, assuming nothing has been sealed in regard to that case.

I have a neighbor who just got charged in U. S. District court for fraud to the tune of almost $2 million, while under judicial restraint from offering investment schemes at all due to prior fraud charges, convicted, awaiting sentencing.

How does one get access to the list of victims? The newspaper article says that District Court "identifies" list of victims but there was no list and there is nothing when I search google.

I would like to know who they are because I figure some of them might be somewhat complicit in their own situation and perhaps even be scammers themselves. How can I avoid crooks if the courts won't identify them?

Your thread title seems a bit misleading.

White collar crimes aren't secret if there is a newspaper article about it.

Your thread title seems a bit misleading.

White collar crimes aren't secret if there is a newspaper article about it.
If accomplices are not named, the justice system is allowing guilty parties to escape punishment.

I said victims but meant accomplices...but in some cases the victims are accomplices as well.

Last edited:
If accomplices are not named, the justice system is allowing guilty parties to escape punishment.

I said victims but meant accomplices...but in some cases the victims are accomplices as well.
If they aren't being charged it is none of your business. You are assuming there are accomplices.

If a person is not charged then you don't need to know anything about them. You are assuming guilt simply by association.

In point of fact, a person charged with a crime is still not legally guilty until convicted under due process of law.

Why don't you just wait to see how it all shakes out before over-reacting?

Meanwhile, take some personal responsibility and do your own due diligence before investing in any venture. THAT'S the safest way to protect your interests.

If they aren't being charged it is none of your business. You are assuming there are accomplices.

There is an accomplice, article says so, but he probably has his charges pending for some reason or other....

If a person is not charged then you don't need to know anything about them. You are assuming guilt simply by association.

In point of fact, a person charged with a crime is still not legally guilty until convicted under due process of law.

Why don't you just wait to see how it all shakes out before over-reacting?

Meanwhile, take some personal responsibility and do your own due diligence before investing in any venture. THAT'S the safest way to protect your interests.
What of fiduciary responsibilities, do what is best for your clients....
I have very little in stocks, turn 70 in a few weeks, so nearly all of my investments are in secure fixed interest savings....
Doing your own due diligence is hard to do when so much of the information is unavailable....
The one sentenced a few days ago was up for his third bite at the public trust. 2 prior convictions, and he was free to
do yet another Ponzi scheme...but not this time.

What of fiduciary responsibilities, do what is best for your clients....
I have very little in stocks, turn 70 in a few weeks, so nearly all of my investments are in secure fixed interest savings....
Doing your own due diligence is hard to do when so much of the information is unavailable....
The one sentenced a few days ago was up for his third bite at the public trust. 2 prior convictions, and he was free to
do yet another Ponzi scheme...but not this time.

Well sir, are you saying you were involved as a participant and that is what you are concerned about? If so you need to report this to the investigation team and find out how it may affect you.

If not, then what is your worry? If you are simply trying to decide about personal investment options, then investigate reputable firms, ensure they guarantee you a fiduciary relationship in writing, and then go over the contracts with an attorney be certain they say what you think they say before you sign anything.

I wouldn't be seeking investment advice over the internet, especially if you are dealing with your retirement savings.

Last edited:
Well sir, are you saying you were involved as a participant and that is what you are concerned about? If so you need to report this to the investigation team and find out how it may affect you.

If not, then what is your worry? If you are simply trying to decide about personal investment options, then investigate reputable firms, ensure they guarantee you a fiduciary relationship in writing, and then go over the contracts with an attorney be certain they say what you think they say before you sign anything.

I wouldn't be seeking investment advice over the internet, especially if you are dealing with your retirement savings.

No, not seeking advice....at my age, my role in the economy is to spend what I have. About a million in assets and 150K per year in retirement income is more than enough for me and my wife.

if we have to seek attorney's advice to invest, that in itself implies that you can't trust Wall Street. Insiders in most any profession tend to take
care of themselves first, and their clients later. Keeping the names of participants of criminal activities secret is no way to change the image of Wall Street, which for now is not good.

No, not seeking advice....at my age, my role in the economy is to spend what I have. About a million in assets and 150K per year in retirement income is more than enough for me and my wife.

if we have to seek attorney's advice to invest, that in itself implies that you can't trust Wall Street. Insiders in most any profession tend to take
care of themselves first, and their clients later. Keeping the names of participants of criminal activities secret is no way to change the image of Wall Street, which for now is not good.

Broadcasting names of people who may be innocent of any wrongdoing is not good either.

The names of people charged with a crime are a matter of public record, as are the names of people convicted of crimes.

So unless a person is charged...you don't need to know anything about them.

If the case is still in the information gathering phase, you cannot access anything in regards to it. A judge will declare when it's time.

How can crimes with their own Official Term: White Collar Crime... be a secret?

Back
Top Bottom