• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

which wire connectors for outdoor deck lights? (1 Viewer)

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of our bastard squirrels chewed through our led deck lights. Can I use solder seal connectors like I used to extend my indoor speaker cables, or is it necessary to trek to home depot to pick up proper outdoor wire connectors? I can't imagine these wires are more heavy duty than 18awg.

@Rexedgar

IMG_4046.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 7.58.15 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 8.06.55 AM.jpg

Last edited:
One of our bastard squirrels chewed through our led deck lights. Can I use solder seal connectors like I used to extend my indoor speaker cables, or is it necessary to trek to home depot to pick up proper outdoor wire connectors? I can't imagine these wires are more heavy duty than 18awg.

View attachment 67510441

View attachment 67510443

View attachment 67510444
Assume those are standard 'Christmas lights' that just plug in and carry 120 volt and not low voltage fed from a transformer?

If the former(I assume), as long as the connector is rated for the voltage and is sealed, either would be fine.

As long as their is no stress, (weight,) on the wires, those heat-shrink connectors will suffice, A heat gun is better to shrink the connectors than an open flame.

@Rexedgar

View attachment 67510441

View attachment 67510443

View attachment 67510444
Did you add my handle in the edit, I didn’t see it when I first read the post and there was no notification?

That upper connector is what I have an assortment of around the shop.

Did you add my handle in the edit, I didn’t see it when I first read the post and there was no notification?

Yeah, I added it after the fact. I guess it doesn't show up in your notifications if it happens in an edit.

That upper connector is what I have an assortment of around the shop.

Which upper connector? From the solder connector picture or the outdoor connector picture?

Yeah, I added it after the fact. I guess it doesn't show up in your notifications if it happens in an edit.

Which upper connector? From the solder connector picture or the outdoor connector picture?
1716128235187.png

As long as their is no stress, (weight,) on the wires, those heat-shrink connectors will suffice, A heat gun is better to shrink the connectors than an open flame.

It just occurred to me that a heat gun (which I have) is probably more practical anyway since a lighter flame will constantly be blown out by the slightest breeze.

For low voltage landscape lighting, don’t use the cheap connectors the fixtures typically come with. Cut them off and use these;

IMG_1243.jpeg

For some reason they are not usually found at Home Depot or Lowe’s, but you can find them on Amazon. These really work well, and last.

It just occurred to me that a heat gun (which I have) is probably more practical anyway since a lighter flame will constantly be blown out by the slightest breeze.
Be aware that you can overdue it with the heat gun and melt the entire deal…..

For low voltage landscape lighting, don’t use the cheap connectors the fixtures typically come with. Cut them off and use these;

View attachment 67510460

For some reason they are not usually found at Home Depot or Lowe’s, but you can find them on Amazon. These really work well, and last.
For what I understand of @Cardinal ’s issue, those are overkill and my middle name is overkill……. ;)

Be aware that you can overdue it with the heat gun and melt the entire deal…..

Well crap. There are three wires and I have no visual clues for which wire goes to which.

This pic is a little misleading, but trust me, all three wires are severed (or else this would have been the easiest fix on earth).

The consequence of mixing up the wiring for passive speakers is you have to listen to the receiver tell you your speaker is "out of phase." Not sure about the consequences of mixing up the wiring here, but I doubt they're good. Although they might make the wires more squirrel proof.

IMG_4050.jpg

Well crap. There are three wires and I have no visual clues for which wire goes to which.

This pic is a little misleading, but trust me, all three wires are severed (or else this would have been the easiest fix on earth).

View attachment 67510468
You have a DVOM?

The consequence of mixing up the wiring for passive speakers is you have to listen to the receiver tell you your speaker is "out of phase." Not sure about the consequences of mixing up the wiring here, but I doubt they're good. Although they might make the wires more squirrel proof.

View attachment 67510468
Hmm.. not even one of the wires is 'ribbed' or a faint stripe, or anything?

For what I understand of @Cardinal ’s issue, those are overkill and my middle name is overkill……. ;)
Probably so. But squirrels chew through wire, wood, almost anything. Connectors may not solve his problem anyway.

Nah, I just used a magnifying lens on them and they all look identical to me.
Trying to think of how you could test it out. If I'm thinking correctly, it seems the strands with the 3 wires to each bulb are wired in series/parallel sections, which is why I've had strands lose a section but downstream still works.
May look at one of mine shortly and follow the wiring pattern to see just how the circuit flows and see if I can give you an idea.

Can you get rid of the shadows? It looks like there are only two wires leaving the voltage regulator/transformer?

You're not wrong. It's two wires until you get to the first led light, then it's three wires.

Probably so. But squirrels chew through wire, wood, almost anything. Connectors may not solve his problem anyway.

Well if the squirrels are that motivated then the strength of a connector isn't going to solve any problems.

Is it possible that one wire is to support the power and neutral wires?

I just assumed "hot, cold, grounded," but that didn't get me any closer to knowing which wire connects to what.

I'm guessing the manufacturers weren't thinking, "Oh man, we need to make sure this can be repaired by a licensed electrician."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom