• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which side of the political aisle has the best sense of humor?

Relative to each other, which side of the political aisle has the best sense of humor

• Total voters
:lamo

It was a joke :), way too many are overly defensive of everything including their values, can't they just joke a little especially the the extreme traditionalist, and religious ones that basically want a theocracy then criticize Iran.

Seems you've misidentified which one of us is the defensive one. Conservatives excel at defensiveness. All you have to do is bring up race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., and their defensiveness emerges literally within seconds. (Which is part of why you guys are so easy to make fun of.)

Watch "Gran Torino". A LOT of what Walt says is actually pretty funny. Liberals think he was a racist, but the truth is Walt was kind of a comedian. He had a vocabulary that if you can past being offended at it, was actually intended to be funny. When he called his neighbors "zipper heads" it wasn't racist, it was his form of humor. All liberals can see is an old, angry white guy, but the truth is that it was Walt's sense of humor. Watch the scenes where Walt takes Tao to the job interview and the barber shop and you'lll see that Walt's vocabulary was used to be funny, not as a form of racism. But you will NEVER get a liberal to see this, they're just too busy being offended.

Conservatives are less likely to be overly sensitive, so I'll go with them.

When it comes top saying absurd, hilarious ****, they take the cake.

Relative to each other, which side of the political aisle has the best sense of humor?

Depends on the individual. Some are born without a sense of humor.

How can an ideology that has much deeper principles of authoritarianism/traditionalism/paternalism be better at laughing at itself?

Tell me more about political correctness, safe spaces, and the need to arrest climate deniers?

More generally, defending tradition and upholding it is what allows you to laugh at yourself. When the boundaries are safe, you don't have to constantly defend them from any perceived slight.

Which doesn't really refute the idea that perhaps the conservative-old-white-guy joke may be funnier. In my experience, liberal humor tends to be based in some form of irony, whereas conservative humor is often grounded in meanness.

Ironically, I think that there you are demonstrating my point, interpreting conservatives (especially if mocking liberals) as mean and liberals (especially if mocking conservatives) as ironic.

Ironically, I think that there you are demonstrating my point, interpreting conservatives (especially if mocking liberals) as mean and liberals (especially if mocking conservatives) as ironic.

No, not especially if mocking conservatives. That was actually your assumption. And you edited out the other part about why conservative humor falls flat so often.

No, not especially if mocking conservatives. That was actually your assumption.

Fair point on the "especially if", but the point about your interpretation stands; "conservatives are mean, but liberals are ironic" fits neatly with what I described.

And you edited out the other part about why conservative humor falls flat so often.

what,

At best conservative jokes are grounded in the principle that they're making a joke, ergo it's funny. The 1/2 hour News Hour was particularly guilty of the latter

Seriously? That's the entire premise of the joke-news-shows, all of which are leftist.

g1351818414399381229.jpg

Tell me more about political correctness, safe spaces, and the need to arrest climate deniers?More generally, defending tradition and upholding it is what allows you to laugh at yourself. When the boundaries are safe, you don't have to constantly defend them from any perceived slight.
"Defending/upholding tradition" is a need for control, to be vigilant, not a relaxed state for the self. Laughing at oneself requires the ability to see foibles, defending/upholding tradition is the opposite, it doesn't allow weakness. Further, authoritarianism is to submit to the leader, full respect, to follow without derision. This is why conservatives are not good at humor, it goes against base principles. This is why liberals have a better sense of humor, we are not focused on control to the same degree or level, we have more time to feel and see humor in ourselves and in others. We aren't hung up on defending/upholding anywhere near as much.

"Defending/upholding tradition" is a need for control, to be vigilant, not a relaxed state for the self. Laughing at oneself requires the ability to see foibles, defending/upholding tradition is the opposite, it doesn't allow weakness.

:lamo You have no idea what you are talking about :)

Recommend reading Chesterton ;)

Further, authoritarianism is to submit to the leader, full respect, to follow without derision.

Sort of - authoritarianism doesn't require a leader, it simply requires submission. For example, to a speech code, political correctness, or anthropogenic global warming.

I am 58, and I laugh every time I hear that same knuckle head "talking point" comment. Most guys my age grew up in a era where we could laugh at each other, and we still do without fear of needing safe rooms.

Sounds like you fit the bill.

..and there's exactly what I was talking about. The guy in the wheelchair had no issue with the jokes, so why should anyone else?? Yes, they were in bad taste, but most jokes are. The difference is that liberals get all butthurt over them (as you did) and conservatives see the humor in them.

I didn't get "all butthurt" over them. I just was commenting that it is very typical of "conservative" humor to laugh at other people for their disabilities, skin color, etc.

I don't get "butthurt" over it...I just don't find that type of humor all that particularly funny. I prefer a little more sophisticated level of humor...but to each their own.

:lamo You have no idea what you are talking about
I believe I do, yer response isn't a counter.
:)Recommend reading Chesterton ;)
According to wiki, he poked fun at both progressives and conservatives.....so....what?

Sort of - authoritarianism doesn't require a leader, it simply requires submission.
False, authoritarianism can and does often require a leader, especially in the realm of right-wing authoritarianism....or the more common form of military command. I never said "requires" or "only", you made a straw argument.
For example, to a speech code, political correctness, or anthropogenic global warming.
I understand yer desperation in giving examples to trying to make liberals look like totalitarians, but the idea that restrictions on speech or a theory based on the scientific method....are not.

The topic is humor, who has a better sense. The proof is the vast outnumbering by liberal comedians.

Last edited:
Seems you've misidentified which one of us is the defensive one. Conservatives excel at defensiveness. All you have to do is bring up race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., and their defensiveness emerges literally within seconds. (Which is part of why you guys are so easy to make fun of.)

I was talking about conservatives, I've never heard of a traditionalist liberal or religious liberal that often. :) It is quite hilarious how uptight people can get at times over a joke.

Do you know conservatives have no sense of humor?

No...but if you hum a few bars, I'll try to fake it.

Relative to each other, which side of the political aisle has the best sense of humor?

This year the Republicans have it. A traveling Clown road show, and then the clowns disappear.

Most every Republican that I personally know is an older angry white guy with ZERO sense of humor. Their only enjoyment in life appears to be listening to right-wing radio and getting angry at the world.

As opposed to watching Disney movies as an adult?

I was talking about conservatives, I've never heard of a traditionalist liberal or religious liberal that often.

Then you must not get out much.

The Trump side obviously..

21s

Liberals are better at in-your-face humor. That's why most stand-up comedians are liberal. They are the best at connecting with audiences, and at making funny faces and loud noises - clown-type stuff.

You don't see much conservative comedians on TV, which is why there's this stereotype that conservatives aren't funny. But funny conservatives tend to write rather than speak. They go more for clever, subtle humor. There are a lot of very funny conservatives on Twitter and around the web.

I don't think either is funnier, but they're each better at different types of humor.

I'd say neither side is really better. Both are different types of people and find different things funny as a result. I would say conservatives are more open to forms of humor they aren't privy too though, where as liberals are likely to take offense and in-turn harass you.

Then again Republicans are voting for Trump as President, so you could say their sense of humor is unmatched.

Do any of the candidates have any humor?

Back
Top Bottom