• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When your kids grow up, do you hope they are like Donald Trump?

The trusty old Boy Scout Law provides some insight into what makes a good person. A scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Now I'm a fairly straight guy. I was an Eagle scout, and I'd say on my best days I score about a 50% on that list, maybe a touch above.

Going through that list, I struggle to find anything I associate with Trump. I can't think of any efforts towards those ideals that didn't seem completely disingenuous.

You could say he's clean at first glance, because someone IS hosing him off regularly, but that also means morally clean, as in not cheating on multiple spouses with multiple prostitutes.

--

Do you remember when the image below, was the ideal boys aspired to?

19112206-boy-helping-elderly-woman.jpg

--

I can't tell you how much I pine for those days, and those values!

I respect the heck out of Eagle Scouts. Unless one is familiar, they have no idea all that's involved.

Crazy as it sounds, if I were a hiring manager and saw Eagle Scout on a resume', it would entice me to take a closer look at the candidate, because that's the kind of character I would want in my organization.

Anyway, congratulations on your accomplishment. I'm sure it formed values for a lifetime, which of course is the goal.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people you could hold up to this standard, that SHOULD not be role models, but are.
Trump
Athletes
Rappers
Politicians in general
And?

--

Do you remember when these images, below, were the ideals boys aspired to?

1516140701-boyscout-helping-elderly.jpg

--

I respect the hell out of Eagle Scouts. Unless one is familiar, they have no idea all that's involved.

Crazy as it sounds, if I were a hiring manager and saw Eagle Scout on a resume', it would be entice me to take a closer look at the candidate, because that's the kind of character I would want in my organization.

Anyway, congratulations on your accomplishment. I'm sure it formed values for a lifetime, which of course is the goal.

Thanks, I appreciate it more now than I did at the time but it kept me out of trouble, and it definitely helped me get my first real job out of school.

Those ideals certainly seem quaint in today's environment, but I'll stick to them as best I can.

'Nada!

I appreciate it more now than I did at the time but it kept me out of trouble, and it definitely helped me get my first real job out of school.

Those ideals certainly seem quaint in today's environment, but I'll stick to them as best I can.

Welcome to life!

Which is why, as parents, we impress those values upon our children, until they're old enough to appreciate them on their own! ;)

--

Do you remember when the image below, was the ideal boys aspired to?

--

I respect the heck out of Eagle Scouts. Unless one is familiar, they have no idea all that's involved.

Crazy as it sounds, if I were a hiring manager and saw Eagle Scout on a resume', it would entice me to take a closer look at the candidate, because that's the kind of character I would want in my organization.

While I have problems with religion, and there was always an underbelly in society, it did keep people in line for the most part. Moral decay has led to the current situation where there is no longer the underbelly, it's out in the open. I think it is quite rich how the right and their evangelicals still try to use religion that way while it's obvious that under them it's rotten to the core.

While I have problems with religion, and there was always an underbelly in society, it did keep people in line for the most part. Moral decay has led to the current situation where there is no longer the underbelly, it's out in the open.

As much as I believe public society should be secular in nature, or at least in relation to governance & norms, I do agree with your statement above.

But there's also morality & ethics at-large, which can indeed substantive while remaining independent of Faith elements. It's these last, that we seem to have lost as well.

I think it is quite rich how the right and their evangelicals still try to use religion that way while it's obvious that under them it's rotten to the core.

Religion has always been liable to be used as a vehicle for less than noble purposes.

And I don't even want to start on the Right, as they've refuted so many otherwise admirable principles in their embracement of Trumpism.

While I have problems with religion, and there was always an underbelly in society, it did keep people in line for the most part. Moral decay has led to the current situation where there is no longer the underbelly, it's out in the open. I think it is quite rich how the right and their evangelicals still try to use religion that way while it's obvious that under them it's rotten to the core.
Where did the moral decay start/come from? Why is it being allowed to continue?

Where did the moral decay start/come from? Why is it being allowed to continue?
The rather quick death of superstition would be my guess, but it's no doubt multifaceted. This could be due to scientific advances and its concrete proof. People have turned away from religion, which used to hold communities together like everyone being in the same club and holding each other accountable if they strayed from the norm. No one would want to be an outcast.
The longstanding rule of life is it is everchanging, and those (MAGA) that try to freeze it in time will always fail.

Most of Americans would be lucky if their kids turned out as well as Trumps kids. Look how many boomers are raising their grandkids.
Trump's kids are not the discussion. They clearly turned out better than Trump. Although Don Jr. is a complete ass.

Trump's kids are not the discussion. They clearly turned out better than Trump. Although Don Jr. is a complete ass.
So, in one breath you tell me this is not about Trump's kids, and the next breath you comment on Trump's kids.... typical hypocrisy noted!

Back
Top Bottom