• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Jefferson Got Wrong About Freedom of Religion

Now you want to choose peoples' religions for them?

How about no?
I want people on a reliable basis to treat others with respect for who they are on the inside that counts which includes considering how people choose to actualize their potential in many ways.

That's what it means to be Catholic. Why shouldn't we mandate that?

Again, preciseness is not Catholic.

Catholicism is based on the mystery of faith. First, we figure out what to be faithful in. Then, good works follow.

We don't put the cart before the horse. The idea is once you know what to do with conviction, you do what's necessary to implement it. Appeals to absurdity are not allowed.
I find it difficult to believe that when you say there should not be any freedom of religion you have absolutely nothing in mind as to what that means. Or that you don’t have anything in mind when you say mandate Catholicism.

I want people on a reliable basis to treat others with respect for who they are on the inside that counts which includes considering how people choose to actualize their potential in many ways.

That's what it means to be Catholic. Why shouldn't we mandate that?
Because I don't feel like being a Catholic.

I mean, I suppose I could be forced to be Catholic, but I absolutely promise you that I will be the only person who has a good time at church on Sunday.

Because I don't feel like...
Are you saying something doesn't seem right intuitively, or that your emotions aren't inclined to do something?

Are you saying something doesn't seem right intuitively, or that your emotions aren't inclined to do something?

Both.

I have no use for your religion, and trying to force me into it will make you wish you hadn't.

Both.

I have no use for your religion, and trying to force me into it will make you wish you hadn't.
We're not talking about a business plan or deal here. What's useful isn't the point.

This is about establishing spirit of the law so people are free to decide for themselves what's useful. We know this because Catholics don't judge each other's substantial good works to determine salvation. The only good works you're expected to do are works of mercy to corporally help those in hardship and spiritually help those in abuse.

We're not talking about a business plan or deal here. What's useful isn't the point.

This is about establishing spirit of the law so people are free to decide for themselves what's useful. We know this because Catholics don't judge each other's substantial good works to determine salvation. The only good works you're expected to do are works of mercy to corporally help those in hardship and spiritually help those in abuse.

You're not hearing what I'm saying.

i wish were were more like Saudi Arabia.

Back
Top Bottom