• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

what is your philosophy???

which basic branch of philosophy are you in?

• Naturalism--Atheism, Nihilism, existentialism, humanism, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Transcendentalism--New Agers, Pantheism, Panentheism, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theism--Deism, Finitism, Traditional theism.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

dthmstr254

I'm a pig, a real pig.
Reaction score
Chatanooga Tennessee at Tennessee Temple Universit
Political Leaning
Conservative
Please use the following format if possible.

I. Metaphysics-“What is ultimately real?”
A. Ontology- the study of existence or being.
B. Cosmology- what is ultimately real in the universe?
C. Teleology- what is the purpose of our existence
D. Questions to be considered
1. Reality vs. Appearance
2. Existence vs. Symbols
3. Product vs. Process
4. Purpose vs. Purposelessness—Purposeful change—Will of God—Sovereignty of God
5. What is not
6. What cannot be
7. What might be
II. Epistemology—“What is true?”—“How do we know truth?”
A. Questions to be considered
1. The nature of cognitive processes
2. The sources of human knowledge
3. Methods of validating ideas
4. What do we teach, out of all that is known
a. What is most authentic or accurate?
b. What is most important?
c. Who decides what shall be learned?
5. How can or will students best learn the truths we decide they should know?
B. The way in which we learn something affects how much trust we place in its value, true or false?
C. Five ways of knowing, which one do you choose mostly?
1. Scientific Method—senses, empiricism
2. Deductive reasoning—rational logic
3. Experience—feeling, intuition
4. Common sense—“everybody knows it”
5. Revelation/authority: Divine authority and human authority experts—three kinds of revelation:
a. Written
b. Personal
c. General
III. Axiology—“What is of value?
A. Ethics—the question of conduct
B. Aesthetics—the question of enjoyment and taste
IV. Anthropology—the study of man
A. The origin of man
B. The continuation of man
C. The nature of man
D. The purpose of man
E. The reconciliation (if any) of man
F. The will of man
G. The behavior of man
This is the end of the form, if you like please fill it out so we all have a point that we can look back to see what people believe in this complex branch of life.

I. Metaphysics-“What is ultimately real?”
generally--it is the study of the world beyond the physical world.
specifically--it is the study of the nature of reality, ultimate being, or non-material being
2 Corinthians 4:18 (King James Version)
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Luke 12:15 (King James Version)
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Matthew 6:19-21 (King James Version)
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
1 Peter 1:18-19 (King James Version)
18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

A. Ontology- the study of existence or being. in essence, the study of the tiny infinitive "to be". this term is used interchangeably with metaphysics by many writers. ultimate reality with relation to people is ontology, but ultimate reality in relation to the remainder of creation is metaphysics. ontology is metaphysics, but metaphysics is not necessarily ontology. I believe God is ultimate reality. "I Am"
Exodus 3:13-14 (King James Version)
13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
John 8:58 (King James Version)
58Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

B. Cosmology- what is ultimately real in the universe? Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

C. Teleology- what is the purpose of our existence?
1 Corinthians 10:31 (King James Version)
31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
II. Epistemology—“What is true?”—“How do we know truth?”
Epistemology is concerned with the nature, process, and limits of human knowledge
A. The way in which we learn something affects how much trust we place in its value, true or false?
true
B. Five ways of knowing, which one do you choose mostly?
i use all three of the top ones and 5. a. and c.
1. Scientific Method—senses, empiricism
2. Deductive reasoning—rational logic
3. Experience—feeling, intuition
4. Common sense—“everybody knows it”
5. Revelation/authority: Divine authority and human authority experts—three kinds of revelation:
a. Written
b. Personal
c. General
III. Axiology—“What is of value?"
Philippians 4:8-9 (King James Version)
8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
there are two branches of axiology:
ethics--our values in relation to the conduct of people--morals
aesthetics--our values in relation to the quality of our life--beauty
(lovely, beautiful, enjoyable, ugly, appreciative)

A. Ethics—the question of conduct
Morals are concerned--
--with the direction and guidance of human conduct
--with the decisions and action of the will in human conduct

Questions and concerns of ethics
--morals vs mores
--thoughts vs deeds
Matthew 5:28 (King James Version)
28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Matthew 15:19 (King James Version)
19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mark 3:21 (King James Version)
21And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

Proverbs 23:7 (King James Version)
7For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
--temptation vs sin
--absolute vs relative
--means vs ends

B. Aesthetics—the question of enjoyment and taste
aesthetic concerns:
--artificial vs authentic
--arts for arts sake
--art for our sake

Back
Top Bottom