• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is wrong with the 1619 project?

In b4 someone comments about it being a BS video from Prager U but they won't actually watch the video but will still make endless criticism of something they haven't seen.

So like 6 people believe in "Project 1619"

And it trolls the hell out of the trump democrats.

In name only. By ideology, they were most certainly conservatives.

A conservative by any other name is still a conservative.

Conservatives are lucky that they decided to call political parties by something other than Conservative and Liberal in the beginning......they would be stuck with the stink of slavery and racism with NO way to try to pass it off to someone else.

Conservatives are lucky that they decided to call political parties by something other than Conservative and Liberal in the beginning......they would be stuck with the stink of slavery and racism with NO way to try to pass it off to someone else.

I can truly say I never met a slave I didn't like. I can also say I never met a slave period because slavery was illegal when I was born in 1952. How's that for a defense?

I can truly say I never met a slave I didn't like. I can also say I never met a slave period because slavery was illegal when I was born in 1952. How's that for a defense?

Do you even realize that you just tried to defend something that wasn't in question? Let me slow it down for you a bit....

Your cartoon was implying that in order to discuss the history of slavery in the country, that we need to recognize its historical beginnings within the Democratic Party. I was simply pointing out that in the 1800's, Democrats were the conservative political party. We all know that people don't kill and do horrible things for a party or religious name....they do those things for an ideology.

Take your garden variety Islamic terrorist. They can belong to Hezbollah, ISIS, the Taliban or any number of other groups. What you call them isn't what drives them to do the things they do. By the same logic, it doesn't matter if you call a conservative a Republican, a Democrat or The Pink Pixies....what they believe is what drives them....and what drove them in the 1800's to cling to slavery and racism.

Do you even realize that you just tried to defend something that wasn't in question? Let me slow it down for you a bit....

Your cartoon was implying that in order to discuss the history of slavery in the country, that we need to recognize its historical beginnings within the Democratic Party. I was simply pointing out that in the 1800's, Democrats were the conservative political party. We all know that people don't kill and do horrible things for a party or religious name....they do those things for an ideology.

Take your garden variety Islamic terrorist. They can belong to Hezbollah, ISIS, the Taliban or any number of other groups. What you call them isn't what drives them to do the things they do. By the same logic, it doesn't matter if you call a conservative a Republican, a Democrat or The Pink Pixies....what they believe is what drives them....and what drove them in the 1800's to cling to slavery and racism.
Only the ignorant or dishonest would argue otherwise. (y)

In b4 someone comments about it being a BS video from Prager U but they won't actually watch the video but will still make endless criticism of something they haven't seen.
Why would we spend the time watching a video of lies? PragerU is not a reliable source.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/prageru/

Overall, we rate PragerU Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda, the use of poor sources who have failed fact checks, and the publication of misleading information regarding immigration and climate change.

No...they were Democrats, and they are still doing Democrat things to this very day, using different methods.

Where are the facts?

If someone is saying there are lies I want one shown to me. I know you're not up to it already but you're free to do so.

No...they were Democrats, and they are still doing Democrat things to this very day, using different methods.

The Trump voters geographical location can be found in areas of the country that relinquished slavery last. Its the white man's party.

I have more value for my time than PragerU will pay me to watch one of their lying videos.

A university that seems to be adverse to the use of text.

The second claim that “Slavery did not make America rich” is an overly simplistic view of how important slavery was to the wealth of the nation from before it’s founding and into the 1860’s.

One can certainly make a case that slavery did hamper the economic development of the South, Thomas Jefferson thought this, but they still did not want to rip the bandaid off because there was just too much wealth at stake.

They instead continually kicked the can down the road until the situation became completely untenable.

So it is an overly simplistic video that lacks any sense of nuance or historical perspective in order to make a point, but it is a Prager U video so it is what is expected.

Last edited:
If you're a working man, how do you compete with slaves who work for free?

You don't, so working people were impoverished back in 1860.

And somehow, rich people convinced the working man to fight to preserve slavery, a system that kept them impoverished.

If someone is saying there are lies I want one shown to me. I know you're not up to it already but you're free to do so.
Ther very first claim that the US was founded in 1619 when slaves arrived is a blatant lie. The NYT didn't say that.

Ther very first claim that the US was founded in 1619 when slaves arrived is a blatant lie. The NYT didn't say that.

Yep. And what follows that was pretty silly. “What about 1776?, What about the 4th of July? Airplane food.... am I right people?”

It just dismisses out of hand the conflict between the words “We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal....” with the enormity of human bondage and their reticence to abandon it.

You can’t square those two things. It is one of the great contradictions of this country.

Our country was built on the backs, blood and sweat of slaves. My ancestors, a boat builder and his wife, along with John Rolfe, arrived at the same port 9 years earlier on the Sea Venture and had a much different life but both relied on the labor of slaves to establish their wealth.

It's a shameful history.

Yep. And what follows that was pretty silly. “What about 1776?, What about the 4th of July? Airplane food.... am I right people?”

It just dismisses out of hand the conflict between the words “We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal....” with the enormity of human bondage and their reticence to abandon it.

You can’t square those two things. It is one of the great contradictions of this country.
And what would the US look like today if we abolished slavery in the 17th century?

Wrong!

It is the modern conservatives today who use old democratic symbols (Confederate flag) and rhetoric (state rights).

Back
Top Bottom