• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is the #1 problem in America Today?

The #1 issue in America is....

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Forget about who you're voting for, or voting against. What is the #1 problem in America? Does the #1 problem impact your personally or society as a whole?

Top Five statista:

1. The Government / Poor Leadership - 21%
2. Immigration - 20%
3. High cost of living / Inflation - 13%
4. The Economy - 12%
5. Unifying the Country - 6%

Top Five Pew Research Center:

1. Strengthening the Economy - 73%
2. Defeating against Terrorism - 63%
3. Reducing the influence of money in politics - 62%
4. Reducing Health Care Costs / Improving Education / Making Social Security Sound - 60%

Based on those two surveys, here are your options.

Abortion - Pro-Life policies, pro-choice policies, protecting birth control.
Economy - Jobs, wages, stock market, 401ks, U.S trade policy
Education - Making it affordable, improving the quality, teaching positive morals
Government Corruption - Poor/idiotic/corrupt leadership, the influence of money in politics, supporting fair and free elections.
Health-Care - Making health care more affordable, increasing access to health-care
Immigration - Illegal immigration, migrant crisis, crimes committed by illegals
Inflation / High Cost of Living - You're concerned with the high cost of living: ability to purchase goods and services, purchase a house.
Social Security - Upgrading the social security system to make it more solvent.
Terrorism - Defending home and abroad on the threats of terrorism and bigotry.

I added abortion to the line-up for obvious reasons. If you're voting to stop Trump from being President or wanting to stop Biden for getting a second term, then your answer is Government Corruption. There are only

Forget about who you're voting for, or voting against. What is the #1 problem in America? Does the #1 problem impact your personally or society as a whole?

Top Five statista:

2. Immigration - 20%
4. The Economy - 12%

4. Reducing Health Care Costs / Improving Education / Making Social Security Sound - 60%

Education - Making it affordable, improving the quality, teaching positive morals
Government Corruption - Poor/idiotic/corrupt leadership, the influence of money in politics, supporting fair and free elections.
Health-Care - Making health care more affordable, increasing access to health-care
Inflation / High Cost of Living - You're concerned with the high cost of living: ability to purchase goods and services, purchase a house.

I added abortion to the line-up for obvious reasons. If you're voting to stop Trump from being President or wanting to stop Biden for getting a second term, then your answer is Government Corruption. There are only

The clear and present threat to democracy.

Globalism...and the resultant Uniparty.

Everything else on that list is a subsidiary.

One of the most pressing problems currently, IMO, is the tribalistic design of our political system. We continue to rely on inertia as insulation. I don't see a likely solution.

How are you using the term Globalism here?

I'm genuinely curious because I see the word being tossed around and I'd like to know why :)

Voted Other.

The number 1 problem in America today is duopoly of political power, allowing for conditions where the overwhelming majority of the House is designed to be about politicians picking their voters, with a Senate that is largely useless, both high reelection rates and consistently low approvals, and the best we have to pick between for President are two, old, white, narcissistic, babbling idiots who cannot go a single day without some sort of gaffe.

Every option in the survey, up to and including government corruption / poor leadership, and a few other conditions not even listed are *all a direct result* of political duopoly in this nation between two parties more interested in the extremes of their base than anyone else party affiliated or otherwise.

Thank you! :)

I think it's possible to put your country first--and smart to think globally, so this was a bit confusing to me. Exporting to other countries is an example of putting the country first--providing manufacturing/tech jobs to U.S. citizens and selling internationally is one way a globalist could do both, correct? Or perhaps a partnership with a foreign company that creates parts not found in the U.S. --but is the part you need for your factory, etc. would not be a globalist view, just a pragmatic view.

Maybe I'm not understanding the importance of the designation in a world that is operating globally now--like Facebook does, etc. :)

But thank you for the link! I wasn't sure which definition you were referring to since it's not something I assume anymore ;)

Top Five statista:

2. Immigration - 20%
4. The Economy - 12%

MAGA… 😎

Voted Other.

The number 1 problem in America today is duopoly of political power, allowing for conditions where the overwhelming majority of the House is designed to be about politicians picking their voters, with a Senate that is largely useless, both high reelection rates and consistently low approvals, and the best we have to pick between for President are two, old, white, narcissistic, babbling idiots who cannot go a single day without some sort of gaffe.

Every option in the survey, up to and including government corruption / poor leadership, and a few other conditions not even listed are *all a direct result* of political duopoly in this nation between two parties more interested in the extremes of their base than anyone else party affiliated or otherwise.
I like this post if for nothing else the word duopoly, I thought you made it up.

The two party system means folks will vote along party lines regardless of performance or policy. As the saying goes we get the government we deserve.

OTHER

Violent and white-collar crime are out of control.

Mindless adherence to political parties and agendas.

Other: legislative disfunction at the federal level.

Fortunately at the State* and Civic level government is more effective.

*with some obvious exceptions.

The most important problems are:

1. The threat of an AI catastrophe. Progress in AI is now happening alarmingly fast (and I say that as a techno-optimist). We need good regulations to help align AGI with human interests, if at all possible.

2. Immigration. But not necessarily in the way you described it. We need to roughly triple the number of green cards, and give most of them to skilled and educated workers.

3. Housing, or land use more broadly. America sucks at building things due to NIMBYism and petty tyrant bureaucrats at the local level. We need the states and feds to rein them in.

Top Five statista:

2. Immigration - 20%
4. The Economy - 12%

#1 problem- pollsaminute... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom