• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is Oumuamua?

I am aware of that. Our technology is also vastly different, and will likely in the future go beyond anything we can imagine.

i hope so.

i'd be at least a little surprised if we were the only intelligent life in the universe. however, i think the likelihood that they have visited us is about as likely as ancient man visiting Alpha Centauri in canoes. the vastness of the universe approaches horrifying if you think about it enough.

Maybe not all intelligent life in the Cosmos is akin to a self destructive ape causing a sixth mass extinction on its home planet. Maybe some of them are perfectly capable of altruistic coorperation on a grand scale, without succombing to viscious competition for the mating rights, that holds them back technologically for millenia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonic_Males

The oceans were horrifying once too. "There be dragons." Sooner or later we'll figure it out.

If we survive long enough. We are currently consuming a fuel that slowly pushes the concentration of a poisonous gas beyond the threshold of our brain's concentration capacity and we have invented the fission bomb, our detrimental use of it being only a matter of time, considering our aggressive ethology.

"The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or a partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all."
- Stephen Hawking

Last edited:
If we survive long enough. We are currently consuming a fuel that slowly pushes the concentration of a poisonous gas beyond the threshold of our brain's concentration capacity and we have invented the fission bomb, our detrimental use of it being only a matter of time, considering our aggressive ethology.

I have faith in us.

Maybe not all intelligent life in the Cosmos is akin to a self destructive ape causing a sixth mass extinction on its home planet. Maybe some of them are perfectly capable of altruistic coorperation on a grand scale, without succombing to viscious competition for the mating rights, that holds them back technologically for millenia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonic_Males

it's possible.

the distances involved in ocean travel and interstellar travel are vastly different.

There's also a helluva difference between trying to swim around the globe and then building a vessel optimized for that journey.

I totally agree with you on the vast distances, but we did so far manage to land 12 Homo sapienses on the satellite of our home planet.

I'd say it's concensus as much as global warming is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

"The current rate of extinction of species is estimated at 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural background rates."

"Consensus" is bunk.

Paleo Expert: Earth is Not in the Midst of a Sixth Mass Extinction

Guest essay by Eric Worrall h/t JoNova – According to renowned Smithsonian Paleontologist Doug Erwin, people who claim we are in the midst of an anthropogenic mass extinction don’t have a clue what a mass extinction actually is. Earth Is Not in the Midst of a Sixth Mass Extinction “As scientists we have a responsibility…

Consensus is like democracy, the worst form of government, except for all the others.

". . . I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had. . . . "

--Michael Crichton
Caltech Michelin Lecture
January 17, 2003

". . . I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had. . . . "

--Michael Crichton
Caltech Michelin Lecture
January 17, 2003

"Briggs, I hate the goddamn system. But until someone comes along with changes that make sense, I'll stick with it."
- Dirty Harry

There's also a helluva difference between trying to swim around the globe and then building a vessel optimized for that journey.

I totally agree with you on the vast distances, but we did so far manage to land 12 Homo sapienses on the satellite of our home planet.

that is an incredible accomplishment. i'm also impressed with the success of the Voyager spacecrafts.

It's long gone, and I think it's moving too fast for us to catch.

It won't get far, it'll take ten years to exit the solar system and if we come up with something if fifty years we can go look at it.

I think it's crazy though to think that there's anything but an empty rock there, although it could be from a collision and contain squid eggs or bacteria and be the mother load of discovery.

Can you imagine squid eggs and bacteria from another planet?

Better study it out there.

Send a science vessel with incubator tanks.

Simple zero point will put you out there.

Zero point fuel, one of my favorite settings.

You need space dis-placers though too because you never want to hit anything and dust hurts the spaceship real bad.

Is this a crank professor or the most important event in human history?

Harvard’s top astronomer says an alien ship may be among us. He doesn’t care what his colleagues say.

Ever since Avi Loeb’s controversial paper about the object, dubbed ‘Oumuamua, he has become a spokesman for the possibilities of extraterrestrial life.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Before he started the whole alien spaceship thing last year, the chairman of Harvard University's astronomy department was known for public lectures on modesty. Personal modesty, which Avi Loeb said he learned growing up on a farm. And what Loeb calls "cosmic modesty" — the idea that it's arrogant to assume we are alone in the universe, or even a particularly special species. . . .
Loeb stands beside his desk on the first morning of spring courses in a creaseless suit, stapling syllabi for his afternoon class. He points visitors to this and that on the wall. He mentions that four TV crews were in this office on the day in the fall when his spaceship theory went viral, and now five film companies are interested in making a movie about his life. . . .

If it was a vessel of some sort then it is too slow to be of any practical use unless its makers possessed immortality or have a way to put themselves to sleep for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom