• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened in the 2016 election will not happen in the 2020 election

Sandy Shanks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The circumstances surrounding the 2016 election are so peculiar, it is extremely unlikely they will be duplicated.

In 2016, the Democratic Party chose the worst possible candidate. Clinton was unpopular, under FBI investigation, and was lugging around a ton of baggage. Trump still managed to lose the popular vote.

Joe Biden is not a Hillary Clinton.

The Times wrote, "Right now, polls say Joe Biden has a healthy lead over President Trump. But we’ve been here before (cue 2016), and the polls were, frankly, wrong."

No, they were not!

National polls only measure the popular vote. Clinton did, in fact, win the national popular vote by 2.1 points. The average of the 13 final national polls had Clinton ahead by 3.1 points, which was only a point off the actual result.
One last look: 2016 polls actually got a lot right | TheHill

The election was won by less than 80,000 votes. Axios reports that Trump won Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by 0.2, 0.7 and 0.8 percentage points, respectively — and by 10,704, 46,765 and 22,177 votes. Those three wins gave him 46 electoral votes; if Clinton had done one point better in each state, she'd have won the electoral vote, too."

Nearly everyone today has forgotten the effect James Comey had on the election. Eleven days before Election Day, FBI Director Comey reopened the FBI investigation of Hillary Clinton. Clinton had a substantial lead in the polls, but in the week that followed Comey's announcement her lead quickly evaporated. Two days before the election, Comey issued a "sorry about that" and closed the investigation for lack of anything new.

It was too late.

The Hill reports, "Exit polling found that late-deciders in Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin broke for Trump by double-digit margins as high as 29 points."

During the election campaign, every voter in the country knew that the FBI was investigating Clinton. The FBI was also investigating the Trump campaign for its alleged cooperation with Russia. Voters were not aware of that investigation until after the election.

1. There's no hidden group of voters this time. The polls counted everyone.

2. Yeah, the FBI reopening Hillary's email investigation a few days before the election hurt her big time. People who were on the fence about voting for her, heard about the investigation and decided to go with Trump.

3. Those same people are voting for Joe because, well, they found out they hate Trump.

The election was won by less than 80,000 votes. Axios reports that Trump won Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by 0.2, 0.7 and 0.8 percentage points, respectively — and by 10,704, 46,765 and 22,177 votes. Those three wins gave him 46 electoral votes; if Clinton had done one point better in each state, she'd have won the electoral vote, too."

Another aspect of the strange circumstances surrounding the 2016 election is that a significant number of Democratic voters are solely responsible for Trump's election victory.

Young Sanders supporters were aggrieved that their candidate didn't get the nomination, and, in their anger and disappointment, they managed to elect Trump.

Newsweek reports, "According to the analysis of the 2016 Cooperative Congressional Election Survey, fewer than 80 percent of those who voted for Sanders in the Democratic primary did the same for Clinton when she faced off against Trump a few months later. What's more, 12 percent of those who backed Sanders actually cast a vote for Trump.

"The impact of those votes was significant. In each of the three states that ultimately swung the election for Trump—Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania—Trump's margin of victory over Clinton was smaller than the number of Sanders voters who gave him their vote."

In Wisconsin, 51,000 Sanders supporters voted for Trump. Trump's margin of victory was 22,000.

In Michigan, 47,000 Sanders supporters voted for Trump. Trump's margin of victory was 10,000.

In Pennsylvania, 116,000 Sanders supporters voted for Trump. Trump's margin of victory was 44,000.

The young Sanders devotees bought Trump's con.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Sad to watch Bernie Sanders abandon his revolution. We welcome all voters who want to fix our rigged system and bring back our jobs.
8:04 PM · Jul 25, 2016

Those young Democrats will vote again in 2020, and no doubt they realize the horrible mistake they made.

They won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
The circumstances surrounding the 2016 election are so peculiar, it is extremely unlikely they will be duplicated.

In 2016, the Democratic Party chose the worst possible candidate. Clinton was unpopular, under FBI investigation, and was lugging around a ton of baggage. Trump still managed to lose the popular vote.

The Times wrote, "Right now, polls say Joe Biden has a healthy lead over President Trump. But we’ve been here before (cue 2016), and the polls were, frankly, wrong."

No, they were not!

National polls only measure the popular vote. Clinton did, in fact, win the national popular vote by 2.1 points. The average of the 13 final national polls had Clinton ahead by 3.1 points, which was only a point off the actual result.

Nearly everyone today has forgotten the effect James Comey had on the election. Eleven days before Election Day, FBI Director Comey reopened the FBI investigation of Hillary Clinton. Clinton had a substantial lead in the polls, but in the week that followed Comey's announcement her lead quickly evaporated. Two days before the election, Comey issued a "sorry about that" and closed the investigation for lack of anything new.

It was too late.

The Hill reports, "Exit polling found that late-deciders in Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin broke for Trump by double-digit margins as high as 29 points."

During the election campaign, every voter in the country knew that the FBI was investigating Clinton. The FBI was also investigating the Trump campaign for its alleged cooperation with Russia. Voters were not aware of that investigation until after the election.

For all of Clinton's baggage, people really made a horrible decision voting for Trump in 2016. Trump made so many disgusting, despicable comments about so many people during the campaign that I don't know how anyone in their right mind could have voted for him. It was obvious from the start that Trump would be a horrible president.

Anyone who voted for Trump in 2016 should NEVER be allowed to vote again.

Trump made so many disgusting, despicable comments about so many people during the campaign that I don't know how anyone in their right mind could have voted for him. It was obvious from the start that Trump would be a horrible president.

Were his comments deplorable too? They were both rotten candidates, both pandering to the basest partisan instincts of their tribe. But in a system which many view as pretty dismal overall, Clinton treated the presidency as her right whereas Trump promised change; and however dubious and scary that prospect looked, it seems understandable that desperate folk might have hoped that his ego and desire to remembered as a great president of the people would somehow win out over his greed, bigotry and narcissism.

Were his comments deplorable too? They were both rotten candidates, both pandering to the basest partisan instincts of their tribe. But in a system which many view as pretty dismal overall, Clinton treated the presidency as her right whereas Trump promised change; and however dubious and scary that prospect looked, it seems understandable that desperate folk might have hoped that his ego and desire to remembered as a great president of the people would somehow win out over his greed, bigotry and narcissism.

When Trump stated that McCain was not a war hero because he was captured, that should have been a non-starter for any decent American. In a million years, Hillary Clinton would NEVER say anything that ****ing stupid. When Trump picked a stupid fight with a grieving gold star family, that also indicated what a total shit head Trump is.

The racist birther bullshit about Obama, which more than anything endeared Trump to racist Repugs throughout the country, also should have been a non-starter for any decent American.

Your feeble attempt to compare the two of them is utterly ridiculous. The fact is that Hillary Clinton would have been a decent President, despite her faults.

Clinton did, in fact, win the national popular vote by 2.1 points. The average of the 13 final national polls had Clinton ahead by 3.1 points, which was only a point off the actual result.

Sandy, the way the national media incorrectly brands the 2016 polls as being "wrong," has always been one of my pet peeves. (The problem with my pet peeves is that I never know what to feed them. :) )

Sandy, the way the national media incorrectly brands the 2016 polls as being "wrong," has always been one of my pet peeves. (The problem with my pet peeves is that I never know what to feed them. :) )
Feed them Logic.

Sandy, the way the national media incorrectly brands the 2016 polls as being "wrong," has always been one of my pet peeves. (The problem with my pet peeves is that I never know what to feed them.

What did I get wrong in my report? You didn't say.

I have never heard the media say the election was "wrong." That simply makes no sense.

What did I get wrong in my report? You didn't say.

I have never heard the media say the election was "wrong." That simply makes no sense.

I might have misunderstood what you were saying. I was talking about the polls, not the eelction. I meant that the current media likes to say that the 2016 polls were "wrong," when in actuality the 2016 polls were right.

Looks the same to me. Biden is not popular. He is doing great to get 7 people to one of his rallies.

An look at all the baggage Hunter has dumped on him. One of the most corrupt persons that has ever run for president.

No, they were not!

It was too late.

And we know that investigation was started by democrats and the Hillary campaign and was made up. We didn't know that on voting day.

Voters in small states have more of a say as to who our next President will be as compared to voters in large states. I will prove that statement.

Obviously, the less voters an elector represents the more impact voters have in the selection of our President. One on one would be the ideal, but that would defeat the purpose of the Electoral College.

California has a population of 39.5 million people and has 55 electors to the Electoral College.

Montana has a population of 906,500 people and has three electors to the Electoral College. It is one of seven rural states that have three electors.

When one does the math, in California one elector represents 718,000 voters. In Montana one elector represents 302,000 voters.

The conclusion based entirely on math, the non-college educated farmer in Montana has 2.38 times the impact of a college educated teacher in California.

And we know that -- to our everlasting regret -- the farmer and many like him in the rural counties of America chose Trump.

Last edited:
Looks the same to me. Biden is not popular. He is doing great to get 7 people to one of his rallies.

An look at all the baggage Hunter has dumped on him. One of the most corrupt persons that has ever run for president.
Actually Biden is squeaky clean in comparison to Trump. He has never stolen from his charity or ran a fraudulent University scam to name just a few.

GO VOTE no matter what the polls say about the Joe Biden lead

Some are saying democrats are raising more money ........ don't be fooled again. That is ALEC strategy who will flood Fascist ALEC candidates with moneyAFTER the last reporting date.

No doubt ALEC is funding local, state and Capitol Hill candidates that will support a takeover of government services = it's all for the money say trillions in tax dollars = easy profit while services
go straigh to hell. The most reliable sources of fraud against taxpayers is corporate America.....absolutely.

No, they were not!

It was too late.

It's interesting you say that now, with the allegations suggesting Biden is corrupt. The only thing missing is the FBI coming out and announcing they are investigating Joe. To me, it seems very much a replay of the hacked emails on wikileaks and the rumors.

1. Ranked Choice Voting in Portland, Maine
    InstantRunoff.com
    counting2

Ranked choice voting (RCV, or “instant runoff voting”) was used for the first time in Portland, Maine to elect the mayor in November 2011. The city voted to use ranked choice voting in November 2010 at the same time they decided to have an elected rather than an appointed mayor position. The position of Mayor in Portland had not been elected for 88 years.
    See FairVote's Ranked Choice Voting in Portland, Maine page for more information.
    Read More
  2. Where IRV is Used
    InstantRunoff.com
    sfbooth

Instant Runoff Voting is used by many governments and organizations in the United States and in several other nations as a fair and economical way to conduct elections.
    Visit IRV in Action to find out more about where IRV is used and how it has been received.
    Read More
  3. How IRV Works
    InstantRunoff.com
    irvanimationsmall

Instant runoff voting is a form of ranked choice voting that simulates majority runoff elections in a single round of voting by allowing voters to rank candidates in order of choice.
    Visit IRV Basics to learn more about how the system works and watch an animation explaining the counting process.
    Read More

Have you looked at the polls lately?

Biden has no desire to act like Trump, the host of super spreader events.

Did you say that with a straight face?

Baggage eh? A man with more than 21,000 documented lies and numerous sex allegations, tax evasion, lied about COVID 19 .........

WHO could possibly have more baggage? Well maybe The Bushes ..........and Cheney.

Attack conservative backed voter suppression GO VOTE!!!

We meaning our entire family have delivered our mail in ballots to the court house today.

Baggage eh? A man with more than 21,000 documented lies and numerous sex allegations, tax evasion, lied about COVID 19 .........

WHO could possibly have more baggage? Well maybe The Bushes ..........and Cheney.

Attack conservative backed voter suppression GO VOTE!!!

That would be Trump. His adoring admirers love him, but they don't say why. They avoid discussing what Trump says and does. He is too embarrassing for them, but they still support for some odd reason.

Intellectually speaking, it could be a "birds of a feather flock together" syndrome.

Trump is extremely stupid and he has a big mouth, which explains why he is so ignorant when it comes to foreign intelligence. Our intell agencies are concerned that Trump will blabber about sensitive intelligence. So, they feed him intelligence one can read in the New York Times.

Back
Top Bottom