• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Georgia’s Voting Law Really Does

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/2/21
Go page by page through Georgia’s new voting law, and one takeaway stands above all others: The Republican legislature and governor have made a breathtaking assertion of partisan power in elections, making absentee voting harder and creating restrictions and complications in the wake of narrow losses to Democrats. The New York Times has examined and annotated the law, identifying 16 provisions that hamper the right to vote for some Georgians or strip power from state and local elections officials and give it to legislators. Republicans passed and signed the 98-page voting law last week following the first Democratic victories in presidential and Senate elections in Georgia in a generation. Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:
  • Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
  • There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
  • It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
  • Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
  • Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
  • Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
  • Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
  • If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
  • If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
  • With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
  • Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
  • With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
  • The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election
  • The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
  • The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
  • Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

This is for all the Rethuglicans who claim there is nothing regressive in the new Georgia voter laws.

All of the vote/voter suppression measures listed above are discussed in annotations contained in the main New York Times article at the link above.

This is for all the Rethuglicans who claim there is nothing regressive in the new Georgia voter laws.

All of the vote/voter suppression measures listed above are discussed in annotations contained in the main New York Times article at the link above.
I don’t even trust NYT to tell me what the date is. You shouldn’t either.

The NYT ' analyzing ' a GOP bill that the woke mob has declared to be the worst thing since the Dred Scott decision.
(Daily chuckle)

The NYT ' analyzing ' a GOP bill that the woke mob has declared to be the worst thing since the Dred Scott decision.
(Daily chuckle)
Care to point out any information contained in that analysis that is not accurate? Or do you only go to Fox news for fair and balanced news?

I just posted the below on the other thread about this same subject:

"Not only does it attempt to suppress votes by minorities or the poor or anyone else who might vote for a Democrat, it is far worse. As your article states, even if all those who would be affected by these attempts to make it more difficult to vote were able to overcome them and vote, the state legislature could override the vote results. This is what is most alarming and seems to be an attempt to copy Nazi Germany's successful attempt to establish an autocratic government with the Republicans in control.

I read one complaint and the lawyers didn't even mention this part of the law which more or less overrides any victory these lawyers might obtain unless the entire law is ruled unconstitutional. "

What it really does is perpetuate the big lie that the election was stolen from Trump, give the GOP an avenue to influence, even overturn election result and serves to rip the country apart.

.This is what is most alarming and seems to be an attempt to copy Nazi Germany's successful attempt to establish an autocratic government with the Republicans in control.

(daily chuckle)
My my my somebody has an active imagination. Don't they?

Care to point out any information contained in that analysis that is not accurate? Or do you only go to Fox news for fair and balanced news?
It is a subjective opinion. Nothing about accurate or not. :rolleyes:

If you have time to waste, you should read it. It is a good article. I will say their argumentation is better than Meghan's "Royal Family is racist "argumentation 😷

Lol, the NYT.

If the Georgia voting law said people with slave blood got to vote ten times for every white person I'm sure they'd be okay with that. Voting is for idiots anyway it's not who votes that counts, it's .......

(Daily chuckle)

You two criticize the source but say nothing about the content. You can't. That is pure "fake news" Trumpian.

If it is true, and it is damaging to one's beliefs, it has to be "fake news." That Republican phenomenon has been going on for over five years.

No fox actually will stumble upon a fact by accident from time to time.

far too mainstream...

This is for all the Rethuglicans who claim there is nothing regressive in the new Georgia voter laws. All of the vote/voter suppression measures listed above are discussed in annotations contained in the main New York Times article at the link above.
NYT is getting desperate. For example, This is some of their significant problems.
  • It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
  • With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
:eek:

As far as the Times is concerned, the big one is second, ID requirements for mail ballots. Yet, if you believe in one-person, one-vote, this is a no-brainer.

NYT is getting desperate. For example, This is some of their significant problems.
:eek:

As far as the Times is concerned, the big one is second, ID requirements for mail ballots. Yet, if you believe in one-person, one-vote, this is a no-brainer.
The stupid thing is that you need an ID to vote in person in Georgia. So, it is common sense that you should need an ID for your mail ballots too :rolleyes:

You two criticize the source but say nothing about the content. You can't. That is pure "fake news" Trumpian.

If it is true, and it is damaging to one's beliefs, it has to be "fake news." That Republican phenomenon has been going on for over five years.
I’ve listed the features of the Georgia bill several times on this forum. Lying is a Democratic phenomenon.

If you have time to waste, you should read it. It is a good article. I will say their argumentation is better than Meghan's "Royal Family is racist "argumentation 😷
It wants me to subscript, I don’t want to. The list is laughable and desperate.

The stupid thing is that you need an ID to vote in person in Georgia. So, it is common sense that you should need an ID for your mail ballots too :rolleyes:

Do you have copying machine in your house?

I’ve listed the features of the Georgia bill several times on this forum. Lying is a Democratic phenomenon.

Your are not paying attention. Your post was not about the Georgia voting restriction law. Your post was about the Times.

What it really does is perpetuate the big lie that the election was stolen from Trump, give the GOP an avenue to influence, even overturn election result and serves to rip the country apart.
Yes and that is the most disturbing thing about the bill. It makes what the one term mistake criminally asked them to do in 2020 totally legal. They are "fixing" election law to please him.

They mail the ballots to you house and only if you showed your ID to register. It is redundant to ask for it again.

Ok, whose analysis of the law and the GOP's motivation to change things following their first loss in the state in a while do/did you trust? The Times article list parts of the law that might inhibit voting. Aside from your distrust of one of the world's most respected news sources, what's your interpretation of the law that differs from theirs?

The GOP has admitted that it tends to lose when lots of people vote. Therefore they have panicked at the large 2020 turnout and the absence of any credible reports of fraud and are trying to make it more difficult to vote in 47 or so states. What else would they be doing that? This particular elephant is not only in the GOP's living room, it is sitting on top of party leaders, yet you open the door, look inside, and say, " Nope, no elephant in there."

Again, I recommend the documentary "All In," about the history of voter suppression. Nothing really new here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom