• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What drove working class whites to the GOP?

What drove working class whites to the GOP?

• Was it illegal immigration?

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Was it the fact that Obama was a black man?

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Was it gay marriage?

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Was it proposed anti-gun legislation?

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Was it jobs moving overseas?

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Was it a lower standard of living than their fathers?

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Was it conservative talk shows?

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • BLM, Black Lives Matter?

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Trans people gaining rights?

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Evangelical religion?

Votes: 17 34.0%

• Total voters
Only because GOPs hire them (to do jobs whites won’t do)
Pretty damn sure its not a political thing, and if they were paying fair wages they could get legal workers that they don't have to pay under the table. Way to polarize, though!

(check all that apply)

Was it illegal immigration? We have over 12 million illegal immigrants living and working in America right now.

Was it the fact that Obama was a black man?

Was it gay marriage? The Supreme Court made the right to marriage for gays legal.

Was it proposed anti-gun legislation? This always flares up after a mass shooting.

Was it jobs moving overseas?

Was it a lower standard of living than their fathers?

Was it conservative talk shows? Limbaugh, Levine, Hannity, etc.

BLM, Black Lives Matter? Cops shooting unarmed black men.

Trans people gaining rights? Biological males using biological female restrooms?

Evangelical religion? Evangelicals want all the tribes of Israel united.

Anti abortion?
Yeah I don't think any of that nonsense had anything to do with it. My bet is it was taxes.

Trump's minority voter numbers were the lowest of any Republican candidate since Barry Goldwater. You are comparing him against our first black president. Compare his numbers to Bush's or even Bob Doles.
True for 2016. Not true for 2020.

So despite the MSM spending 4 years claiming that Trump wants to genocide minorities, his share of those voters increased and the Dems decreased. Nominating a Klan apologists for president and a woman who tried to reimplement slavery and impose government sanctioned execution of innocent people probably didn't help the Dems.

I couldn't respond to the poll as Woodrow Wilson and FDR weren't provided as choices.

I couldn't respond to the poll as Woodrow Wilson and FDR weren't provided as choices.

Actually you know it was Kennedy and Johnson, the Civil rights act of 1964 and the voting rights act of 1965, integration of the schools and busing

Actually you know it was Kennedy and Johnson, the Civil rights act of 1964 and the voting rights act of 1965, integration of the schools and busing
I liked JFK but not LBJ.
It?

For an agenda that allegedly promoted "White Grieveance", Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians sure did seem to like it; allowing Trump to increase voting numbers among all minority groups.

Meanwhile the Democratic Party nominated a Klan apologist and increased their voting number among White people and no other groups.

Revisionist history indeed. I don't entertain gaslighters. I don't have time for it.

Trump literally praised Nazis as fine people and asked Proud Bois to be his own standing army. So if you super feel Joe is a klamsman, Trump cannot be an alternative.

While I haven't exactly been 'driven' to the GOP, I have been pushed away from the more progressive of the Democratic ideology.

I have also realized, as a working class citizen, that too much of my tax dollars to non-citizens in this country as well as other countries, while US citizens go hungry, live on the streets, struggle to make ends meet, etc.

(check all that apply)

Was it illegal immigration? We have over 12 million illegal immigrants living and working in America right now.

Was it gay marriage? The Supreme Court made the right to marriage for gays legal.

Was it proposed anti-gun legislation? This always flares up after a mass shooting.

Trans people gaining rights? Biological males using biological female restrooms?

Anti abortion?

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 (Confederate Idealist called Conservative White People under the "Republican Party" since the days of Nixon have been trying to Roll Back Civil Rights and Voting Rights for Decades, by any and every means of voter repression, voter suppression, removing people from voter rolls, throwing out peoples votes and going overdrive in gerrymanders and playing games with election laws. )

Overview

• The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the most comprehensive civil rights legislation ever enacted by Congress. It contained extensive measures to dismantle Jim Crow segregation and combat racial discrimination.
  • The Voting Rights Act of 1965 removed barriers to black enfranchisement in the South, banning poll taxes, literacy tests, and other measures that effectively prevented African Americans from voting.
  • Segregationists attempted to prevent the implementation of federal civil rights legislation at the local level.
The period following the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 witnessed resistance to the implementation of its measures. George Wallace, the segregationist governor of Alabama, made a strong showing in the 1964 presidential primaries in Indiana, Maryland, and Wisconsin. His campaign relied heavily on anti-integration rhetoric and bemoaned the loss of “traditional” American values, prefiguring the rise of the new social conservatism.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 transformed patterns of political power in the South. By the middle of 1966, over half a million Southern blacks had registered to vote, and by 1968, almost four hundred black people had been elected to office.
As African Americans joined the Democratic Party, many white southerners began to defect to the Republicans. (Richard Nixon’s “Southern strategy,designed to shift white Southerners to the Republican Party

The 1965 Law That Gave the Republican Party Its Race Problem
  • People should read this, and read it carefully and slowly to digest the whole of it.
end quote

The Hard Truth is: The Problems in America are always created by "White People"... it's long past time Americans acknowledges that fact !!!!
(W
e just saw on Jan. 6th, 2021 these "white people" engaged in acts of sedition, subversive acts by terrorist masses engaging in insurrection to promote Treason against the principles of the Founding Documents and the United States Constitution while attacking the Capitol Building and Plans to Harm and Kill Legislators.)

Every other Ethnicity of People in America along with Liberal Minded Whites is promoting Inclusive Democracy, and Championing Equality of Person as Individual with Equality For All.

TRUTH MATTERS - "WE CAN NO LONGER DENY THE TRUTHS THAT ARE EVIDENT"

Last edited:
While I haven't exactly been 'driven' to the GOP, I have been pushed away from the more progressive of the Democratic ideology.

I have also realized, as a working class citizen, that too much of my tax dollars to non-citizens in this country as well as other countries, while US citizens go hungry, live on the streets, struggle to make ends meet, etc.

I think it would be a benefit in looking back at American History:,

• Start with Richard Nixon, who was hailed for "Opening The Doors To China", and following that act, he set up the immediate process to transfer "Ore Processing to China" ( Ignoring the old adage, that "Steel Builds Nations"), when he did that it damaged the Rust Belt and American Ore Processing, thus leading to the wakening of their once Strong Labor Unions.

• Ronald Reagan: He set out to damage Community Colleges and States Universities. He proceeded to strip funding away from Mental Health, and the result was many institution that treated Mental Health and Mental Health Programs were shut down. His acts of De-Regulation gave us the Demise of Saving and Loans, who once financed many of American's Home and other Family necessities, and caused the start of the massive Bail Out. Interest Rates Skyrocketed and left many people unable to buy a home to raise their family, leading to a "transient society" being raised in "An Apartment Based Society, and Rental Homes". He proceeded to attack Unions and with the firing of Air Traffic Controllers, he set off a cycle of promoting people to abandon Unions, which opened the doors for massive outsourcing of Industry to escalate. He then, during the 1980's "saturated America with Central American "COCAINE"... which went directly to minority communities and poor whites and rural white communities and the Drug Epidemic took off like a rocket ship and has not stopped to this very day morphing into Opioids, Crank, and the mass array of a Pill Addicted Society.

• By the time Bill Clinton, took office, we were already a mass "Importer" of what American Consume in every category, until we no longer even make our shoes and clothing's, even before then in the earlier era of Nixon and Reagan, we were a mass importers of home appliance and electronic goods such as TV's and other products from Japan. Within the 1970's Japan had become a power house of wealth, because of America's reliance on Japanese Goods, and by the 1980's American Auto Makers were on FAST DECLINE, as S.E. Asian Auto Imports took off like a Rocket into the Stratosphere. At the same time Home Prices began to rise without relenting!!! Wages were stagnated.

During the Clinton Administration, the Buzz Word was "Outsourcing", because no policy could reverse what had happened under Nixon and Reagan,
America could not rebuild Industry, once the Wealthy had gotten a taste of "Cheap Slave Wage Labor Production for S.E. Asian, Asian and Middle Eastern Locations and a promotions of tax havens to avoid taxation.
Our Economy Turned to "Commercial Promotion of Foreign Goods"... Walmart (China Goods Seller, took over across the nations at an elevated pace)
China was producing at such high volumes at lower cost, we got things like "Home Depot", "Office Max", 'Office Depot" and many other Mass Sellers of Imported Goods. The days of "Kmart being the mass seller of Japan produced goods, was overshadowed by seller's of Chinese made goods", and Japan had moved on to sell higher quality higher cost goods, which did not fit the Kmart model.
This also so a Building Boom in America of Strip Mass and Housing Developments in once non residential quality land spaces, "this was fueled by "The Drug Money" from the 1980's Reagan "Contra vs Sandinista" funded by selling drugs to Americans, and taking the money sending to Iran, to send weapons to Central America... at the same time U.S. was backing Iraq, in the Iraq vs Iran war.
In comes the "Internet Marketplace" which set up and escalating of "online shopping" for "Imported Goods".

Today, we have the likes of "Amazon" the Monopoly Seller of Imported Goods"

Barack Obama came and said. Let's Rebuild From The Bottom Up and Make Opportunity Inclusive for Everyone... and He was incessantly attacked !!! He talked about retraining and opening education to make it accessible for all, he was incessantly attacked !!!

Now Look at - American Republicanism - The Damaging Force in America for more details

Last edited:
I think it would be a benefit in looking back at American History:,

• Start with Richard Nixon, who was hailed for "Opening The Doors To China", and following that act, he set up the immediate process to transfer "Ore Processing to China" ( Ignoring the old adage, that "Steel Builds Nations"), when he did that it damaged the Rust Belt and American Ore Processing, thus leading to the wakening of their once Strong Labor Unions.

• Ronald Reagan: He set out to damage Community Colleges and States Universities. He proceeded to strip funding away from Mental Health, and the result was many institution that treated Mental Health and Mental Health Programs were shut down. His acts of De-Regulation gave us the Demise of Saving and Loans, who once financed many of American's Home and other Family necessities, and caused the start of the massive Bail Out. Interest Rates Skyrocketed and left many people unable to buy a home to raise their family, leading to a "transient society" being raised in "An Apartment Based Society, and Rental Homes". He proceeded to attack Unions and with the firing of Air Traffic Controllers, he set off a cycle of promoting people to abandon Unions, which opened the doors for massive outsourcing of Industry to escalate. He then, during the 1980's "saturated America with Central American "COCAINE"... which went directly to minority communities and poor whites and rural white communities and the Drug Epidemic took off like a rocket ship and has not stopped to this very day morphing into Opioids, Crank, and the mass array of a Pill Addicted Society.

• By the time Bill Clinton, took office, we were already a mass "Importer" of what American Consume in every category, until we no longer even make our shoes and clothing's, even before then in the earlier era of Nixon and Reagan, we were a mass importers of home appliance and electronic goods such as TV's and other products from Japan. Within the 1970's Japan had become a power house of wealth, because of America's reliance on Japanese Goods, and by the 1980's American Auto Makers were on FAST DECLINE, as S.E. Asian Auto Imports took off like a Rocket into the Stratosphere. At the same time Home Prices began to rise without relenting!!! Wages were stagnated.

During the Clinton Administration, the Buzz Word was "Outsourcing", because no policy could reverse what had happened under Nixon and Reagan,
America could not rebuild Industry, once the Wealthy had gotten a taste of "Cheap Slave Wage Labor Production for S.E. Asian, Asian and Middle Eastern Locations and a promotions of tax havens to avoid taxation.
Our Economy Turned to "Commercial Promotion of Foreign Goods"... Walmart (China Goods Seller, took over across the nations at an elevated pace)
China was producing at such high volumes at lower cost, we got things like "Home Depot", "Office Max", 'Office Depot" and many other Mass Sellers of Imported Goods. The days of "Kmart being the mass seller of Japan produced goods, was overshadowed by seller's of Chinese made goods", and Japan had moved on to sell higher quality higher cost goods, which did not fit the Kmart model.
This also so a Building Boom in America of Strip Mass and Housing Developments in once non residential quality land spaces, "this was fueled by "The Drug Money" from the 1980's Reagan "Contra vs Sandinista" funded by selling drugs to Americans, and taking the money sending to Iran, to send weapons to Central America... at the same time U.S. was backing Iraq, in the Iraq vs Iran war.
In comes the "Internet Marketplace" which set up and escalating of "online shopping" for "Imported Goods".

Today, we have the likes of "Amazon" the Monopoly Seller of Imported Goods"

Barack Obama came and said. Let's Rebuild From The Bottom Up and Make Opportunity Inclusive for Everyone... and He was incessantly attacked !!! He talked about retraining and opening education to make it accessible for all, he was incessantly attacked !!!

Now Look at - American Republicanism - The Damaging Force in America for more details

Please don't quote me in order to give a history lesson. My comment has nothing to do with what you wrote.

Forgive if this repeats, but 1- economically, there would seem to be no reason for a working class white to vote differently than the black guy who works next to him, except perhaps for some of the ways in which affirmative action has been wrongly administered. Jesse Jackson, whatever you may think of him on other topics, used to hammer this issue. 2- but the so-called Southern strategy, racial dog whistle politics and cries for law and order post the disturbances of the 1960s have been used for quite a while to foster this division. (Heavy handed advocates in the women's movement perhaps created additional confusion.) 3- culturally working class whites have been portrayed in our entertainment media as ignorant buffoons for a long while. Back in my youth in the 1950s, there was pudgy, silly William Bendix in "The Life of Riley," on TV portrayed working at an aircraft plant, I believe. At the same time, there was Robert Young, slim and all-knowing in "Father Knows Best," who I believe was an insurance man. Later on there came Archie Bunker. There also was some bitterness about Vietnam, when the US sent largely working class guys to fight, while college guys didn't have to, thanks to student deferments from the draft. I believe that Trump's style justifiably won over some of these folks, despite the substance of his actions upon taking office being anti worker in many ways. Calling his supporters (instead of Trump) deplorable didn't help.

Oh, yes, I think one main factor was they were sick and tired of all this fawning over & all the crocodile tears being shed for certain folks.

Maybe they were trying to say, "Enough already!"

while US citizens go hungry, live on the streets, struggle to make ends meet, etc.

And you said you're in Education right?

ALL OF THE ABOVE:
Let's be honest here (I know I KNOW, that can't happen when people debate politics), but there were legitimate grievances why white voters moved to the GOP.
Jobs moving overseas, was a BIG factor. They also felt betrayed by Wall Street. They really DID believe Trump would drain the swamp.
BUT.... if we were to be honest (and again, partisan hats will be put on and no one WILL BE honest, just partisan), white supremacists groups grew in number and size after the election of Obama (look it up, it was a fact)
It has gotten so bad one person I debated with here called Obama "Hussein" Obama with quotation marks, a clearly anti-Muslim trope, but he said "oh come on, Hussein is his middle name. I WILL LET ALL OF YOU decide if that is a valid excuse, but those of us who aren't alt-right recognize it for what it is.
IF we were to be honest, whites saw their neighbors, their workplaces, their hangouts (bars or coffee shops) showing more black faces, more Asian faces, more Hispanic faces, more Gay faces, and fear took over.
ODD THEN that suburban white voters turned against Trump this time around, so why? Eventually (unless you live in a bubble) you will know someone who has a gay son or daughter, you will end up working beside a black man or woman, or a Muslim, and suddenly discover, they aren't demons.
Coal jobs didn't come back, Mexico didn't pay for the wall, so Trump pulled your chains and you let him.
AND YES, the rise of rightwing media, with the likes of Hannity et al, did persuade many white Americans that there was going to be an invasion of illegals, people of color, people from the LGBTQ community into your neighborhood, and OH THE HORROR!!
Odd then that the same people who fell for the angst created by rightwing media decided ALL OTHER media was bias and fake.

I grew up with German parents who claimed they were NOT racist but told me as a kid with a straight face that you just don't invite a black man into your home, that isn't racist, that is just the way it is.
I rebelled against that thinking.
I have broken bread with Conservatives (here in Canada) Liberals, Muslims, and have known gay people. I never had an issue with any of them.
IF YOU DO - then look in the mirror and ask yourself, why? you get ONE life to live, think about it! DO YOU want to live that ONE life being angry, being afraid, being paranoid, being part of a GOP that now has conspiracy theorists like Marjorie Taylor Greene in their ranks? OR do you want to get along with people and JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE?
Socialists aren't coming for you. Illegals are a concern, but they aren't monsters, TALK TO ONE, and you will find out. Muslims aren't all terrorists, and gay people are people.
AND unfortunately, this question posed about WHITE PEOPLE was unfair too, Biden could not have won if white voters hadn't voted for him, so better question would have been, why SOME white people still vote GOP.
SOME for legitimate reasons, family values and conservation ideals.
BUT some for bigotry and fear as well.
Recognize the difference, it will make you a better person.

ALL OF THE ABOVE:
Let's be honest here (I know I KNOW, that can't happen when people debate politics), but there were legitimate grievances why white voters moved to the GOP.
Jobs moving overseas, was a BIG factor. They also felt betrayed by Wall Street. They really DID believe Trump would drain the swamp.
BUT.... if we were to be honest (and again, partisan hats will be put on and no one WILL BE honest, just partisan), white supremacists groups grew in number and size after the election of Obama (look it up, it was a fact)
It has gotten so bad one person I debated with here called Obama "Hussein" Obama with quotation marks, a clearly anti-Muslim trope, but he said "oh come on, Hussein is his middle name. I WILL LET ALL OF YOU decide if that is a valid excuse, but those of us who aren't alt-right recognize it for what it is.
IF we were to be honest, whites saw their neighbors, their workplaces, their hangouts (bars or coffee shops) showing more black faces, more Asian faces, more Hispanic faces, more Gay faces, and fear took over.
ODD THEN that suburban white voters turned against Trump this time around, so why? Eventually (unless you live in a bubble) you will know someone who has a gay son or daughter, you will end up working beside a black man or woman, or a Muslim, and suddenly discover, they aren't demons.
Coal jobs didn't come back, Mexico didn't pay for the wall, so Trump pulled your chains and you let him.
AND YES, the rise of rightwing media, with the likes of Hannity et al, did persuade many white Americans that there was going to be an invasion of illegals, people of color, people from the LGBTQ community into your neighborhood, and OH THE HORROR!!
Odd then that the same people who fell for the angst created by rightwing media decided ALL OTHER media was bias and fake.

I grew up with German parents who claimed they were NOT racist but told me as a kid with a straight face that you just don't invite a black man into your home, that isn't racist, that is just the way it is.
I rebelled against that thinking.
I have broken bread with Conservatives (here in Canada) Liberals, Muslims, and have known gay people. I never had an issue with any of them.
IF YOU DO - then look in the mirror and ask yourself, why? you get ONE life to live, think about it! DO YOU want to live that ONE life being angry, being afraid, being paranoid, being part of a GOP that now has conspiracy theorists like Marjorie Taylor Greene in their ranks? OR do you want to get along with people and JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE?
Socialists aren't coming for you. Illegals are a concern, but they aren't monsters, TALK TO ONE, and you will find out. Muslims aren't all terrorists, and gay people are people.
AND unfortunately, this question posed about WHITE PEOPLE was unfair too, Biden could not have won if white voters hadn't voted for him, so better question would have been, why SOME white people still vote GOP.
SOME for legitimate reasons, family values and conservation ideals.
BUT some for bigotry and fear as well.
Recognize the difference, it will make you a better person.
THANK YOU FOR TELLING THE TRUTH... sadly some of these people are so ate up with their own internal inferiority, they cling to delusion trying to give themselves values, rather than learn how to live in and live with the world and learn of the beauty of Diversity. Some can't because they have spent their lives chasing a delusion of fictional superiority and when they encounter people smarter than they are, more productive and successful in their productivity, their minds can't handle it because they have to face they are not superior, and they become lost, and revert to pure savage anguished madness... never realizing, they bought the lit and chase the delusion, by their own choice to accept the environmental influences that promoted those delusion.
I an other have seen it for decades... when over and over, these type of people bring their arrogance and when it does not give them the skill, the information and knowledge to function with proficiency, they seek any excuse to try and diminish other, as their way to trying to justify themselves in a situation they did not prepare to function and did not invest to learn.

THANK YOU FOR TELLING THE TRUTH... sadly some of these people are so ate up with their own internal inferiority, they cling to delusion trying to give themselves values, rather than learn how to live in and live with the world and learn of the beauty of Diversity. Some can't because they have spent their lives chasing a delusion of fictional superiority and when they encounter people smarter than they are, more productive and successful in their productivity, their minds can't handle it because they have to face they are not superior, and they become lost, and revert to pure savage anguished madness... never realizing, they bought the lit and chase the delusion, by their own choice to accept the environmental influences that promoted those delusion.
I an other have seen it for decades... when over and over, these type of people bring their arrogance and when it does not give them the skill, the information and knowledge to function with proficiency, they seek any excuse to try and diminish other, as their way to trying to justify themselves in a situation they did not prepare to function and did not invest to learn.

Black People and Civil Rights has always moved this nation forward and they did it with the help and assistance of informed and knowledgeable white people who never chased and lost themselves in delusion of superiority, they did not place their lives value on their skin and they did not linger in environments that was obsessed with racist stupidity and its fictions.
Some of those white people, got as far away from that environment as they could, their hearts and soul did not seek to be tarnished with evil making devotion to being lost souls, wrapped in racism, anger and its hate.
some made choices to be with other white people as mates who think like they do, and some chose mates of different races whom they saw as being no different than themselves, and they found their lives to become happy in appreciating humanity and the world that God gave to mankind.
These are the people who lead us into the future. 10's of Millions of white people voted, to ensure that the Republicanism's madness does not further damage American Democracy, they voted with the non white people of society, for the better world they all and each want to make and build.

(check all that apply)

Anti abortion?
Your poll is too slanted. I'll make a new poll with appropriate wording a bit later.

Your poll is too slanted. I'll make a new poll with appropriate wording a bit later.
The poll omitted the single most concise choice, Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom