• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What does this say about the goals, morals... and purpose... of our justice system?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Disclaimer: Yes, this is the same linked article as another similar thread posted by me earlier today. I am posting this separate because what I feel is a completely distinct topic came to me that I would like to explore, and I don't want to muddy either discussion by trying to essentially derail the other thread.

What does this say about the goals and morals... and purpose... of our justice system?
Taken

Sarah Stillman: The Use and Abuse of Civil Forfeiture : The New Yorker

From the article:
"...told Henderson and Boatright that they had two options. They could face felony charges for “money laundering” and “child endangerment,” in which case they would go to jail and their children would be handed over to foster care. Or they could sign over their cash to the city of Tenaha, and get back on the road."
Think about this. Money laundering is bad. That's why it is illegal. I get that. Child endangerment is bad. That's why it is illegal. I get that, too. Shoot, child endangerment is one of those emotional issues that law enforcement usually loves to pursue and make high profile. Protecting those who cannot protect themselves, and so on.

This is essentially so-called law enforcement saying, "We're willing to overlook any illegal activity you have done, and any harm to society and/or your own children you have done... and allow you to continue these illegal and harmful activities... if you'll just agree to give us your money and agree to not hassle us about it in court at a later date." That's law enforcement? That's what we pay for? That makes society safer? Seriously? :doh

Re: What does this say about the goals, morals... and purpose... of our justice syste

Disclaimer: Yes, this is the same linked article as another similar thread posted by me earlier today. I am posting this separate because what I feel is a completely distinct topic came to me that I would like to explore, and I don't want to muddy either discussion by trying to essentially derail the other thread.

What does this say about the goals and morals... and purpose... of our justice system?

Think about this. Money laundering is bad. That's why it is illegal. I get that. Child endangerment is bad. That's why it is illegal. I get that, too. Shoot, child endangerment is one of those emotional issues that law enforcement usually loves to pursue and make high profile. Protecting those who cannot protect themselves, and so on.

This is essentially so-called law enforcement saying, "We're willing to overlook any illegal activity you have done, and any harm to society and/or your own children you have done... and allow you to continue these illegal and harmful activities... if you'll just agree to give us your money and agree to not hassle us about it in court at a later date." That's law enforcement? That's what we pay for? That makes society safer? Seriously? :doh

I would have called my lawyer.

Re: What does this say about the goals, morals... and purpose... of our justice syste

I would have called my lawyer.

"We'll take your kids" is a powerful weapon. Most people would be cowed by that alone, and as wrong as the scenario is to begin with, I'm not sure I can blame them. Conceivably, and probably, they would have taken the kids "as a precaution" while the lawyer and the city fought it out. Once you get caught in the CPS system it's not easy to get out. Who know how long that would take?

"We'll take your kids" is a powerful weapon. Most people would be cowed by that alone, and as wrong as the scenario is to begin with, I'm not sure I can blame them.
If the are endangering their kids they most likely do not care for them.

If the are endangering their kids they most likely do not care for them.

You need to read the article and consider context. They threatened child neglect charges, but were seemingly more than willing to let the kids continue on with the parents to be neglected in exchange for money... which strongly suggests the child neglect accusation was merely a ruse and an emotional hammer to get the parents to comply with handing over the money with no repercussions to them.

This is but one more story illustrating how utterly corrupt our police have become at the altar of the drug prohibition.

Sad, sad story. :(

Back
Top Bottom