• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Do You Call It Upper Hand Or Hand Out

wxcrazytwo

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I wanna know what your thoughts on affirmative action are! I think its a good idea, and will give other less fortunate ones to get an education...

wow. it seems no one wants to touch this. I think that it might have some merit but as it is I think that its wrong. There are poor whites and other poor minorities, so why single African Americans out? when i was getting ready to go to college a couple of years ago, I was looking through the list for scholarships and was dismayed. most of then you had to be a African American to even apply. there were and are none for whites, specifically. there are the "open" scholarships which anyone can get, which I think that they all should be, but with that. I think that affirmative action should be measured according to scholastic achievement or at the most apportioned to the population.

yeah affirmative action had good intentions, but its gettin a little overblown.. even minorities other than african americans are getting hurt by this (in college selection etc.)

that's too bad. maybe they should either do away with it or revamp it so that it is more atuned to the population of the country.

Like a general scholarship for those from poor families? Yep, I'm all for it.

vergiss said:
Like a general scholarship for those from poor families? Yep, I'm all for it.

why can't I get one that easy for being middle class or rich?

The idea is flawed because it only praches equality from one angle and one angle only. At least thats how I've seen it done.

128shot, I agree with the middle class scholarship. it would help many, many families a whole lot! ( mine included). But I don't think there should be a rich family scholarship since they have money! :lol:

t125eagle said:
128shot, I agree with the middle class scholarship. it would help many, many families a whole lot! ( mine included). But I don't think there should be a rich family scholarship since they have money! :lol:

Its certainly not about affordablity to me, its about them screaming its the only way to equalize oppotunity when infact its inequal.

There is a flip side to this coin you know..

yeah. if the government isnt careful what is going to happen with this 'affirmative action" is that the minorities are going to be the only ones that can afford college and they will get the best jobs leaving the majority to do the labor.

If the rich can afford to go to a school or uni, they will anyway. The scholarship will be merely saving them the money they could afford to spend anyway. They have the opportunity to attend no matter if they get it or not.

But those who are poor or lower-middle class? The scholarship is their only chance to go to that school/uni. They have no other opportunity.

Loans, most students get loans..poor or not.

Its about having the academic achieve of being able to get in the college in the first place.

t125eagle said:
yeah. if the government isnt careful what is going to happen with this 'affirmative action" is that the minorities are going to be the only ones that can afford college and they will get the best jobs leaving the majority to do the labor.

You mean college can get even MORE expensive?

how does that work?

Elektra said:
You mean college can get even MORE expensive?

it goes along with inflation. also, the more people that go to college, the more you have to build, the more it will cost. also, things break and become wore out and so, you have to replace them. it just adds onto itself.

nkgupta80 Quote:

how does that work?

i'm just thinking far in advance, as to possibilities. i know a lot of people, who because they are middle class and white, cannot get scholarships so are just working. i noticed a lot, maybe most of my graduating high school class are now working. why? because they are middle class and cannot afford college.

What, mummy and daddy won't pay? :roll: I find it hard to believe that middle class parents won't fork out to further their child's education.

vergiss you misunderstand me. They are paying, but its hard on them. i almost feel guilty about it! But one of my best friends is having to pay for his.

Or maybe the...gasp.

Kid can pay for it!

loans people, loans.

No, I don't care how long it takes for the average person to pay it off.

but t125eagle, I odn't understand how only minorities are gonna be able to pay for it if what you say will happen is true.

ok. think about it like this. the minorities get the better education so they get the better jobs. those better jobs allow them more money. so, they will have more money than those that could not afford college and could not get scholarships. so, then the minorites will be able to afford college because of the better jobs that they were able to get due to the scholarships that minorities are allowed.

i might be crazy. it might never happen but its a thought.

why do minorities get a better education? The majority in the top colleges are still white americans.

Actually, affirmative action in colleges works against some minorities, namely asian/indian, or even first-generation immigrant families. At this point of time, I wish I was white when I applied to colleges. The typical smart Indian/Asian kids with a 1600 SAT, 4.0 GPA, Tennis champ, Piano/violin virtuoso stereotype has become a disadvantage for them in the college admissions process. In a lot of schools, Affirmative action works on quotas that must be filled for each ethnicity/race. Asians/Indians are given a certain percentage in the school. However, these days, the amount of over-qualified minority candidates competing for these spots is so great, that a lotta kids get jipped outta those spots, while a white kid with the same awesome statistics will have no problem competing against the larger, but statistically less-qualified majority population.

Of course affirmative action is still a big advantage for those in the large minority groups like African Americans, Hispanics, and esp Native Americans.

I think we just need a huge balancing act in how we do affirmative action. Maybe socio-economic factors should be considered only. That way it'll only apply to people who really have experienced hardship instead of the rich girl with 1/4 native american, that got in with mediocre grades.

however, The way affirmative action is set up, I don't think the situation you describe will ever come true.

Back
Top Bottom