• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do we replace religion with?[W:675]

Because I'm not a Norseman living in 8th-century Scandinavia.

Seems a weak reason.

If that is the only reason then is your reason to believe in your God of Abrham (the one derived from Amun via a lot of other mixing and stuff) is just that this is the one in fashion in your part of the world now?

Seems a weak reason.

If that is the only reason then is your reason to believe in your God of Abrham (the one derived from Amun via a lot of other mixing and stuff) is just that this is the one in fashion in your part of the world now?
No, not fashion. Cultural hegemony.

Because I don't find the supporting evidence for Odin's existence beyond mythology to be convincing...

Which begs the question of what evidence did the god you do believe in have that was more credible than Odin?

OK.

Er... what reasons has atheisim or have atheists attributed to your believing in God?
You're losing track here. We were talking about why I don't believe in Odin, and the reason put in my mouth is that Odin doesn't exist and is unreal. That is not my reason.

As for what reasons atheists have attributed to my believing in God, you should be able to answer that yourself. Why do I believe in God, Tim the plumber?

You're losing track here. We were talking about why I don't believe in Odin, and the reason put in my mouth is that Odin doesn't exist and is unreal. That is not my reason.

As for what reasons atheists have attributed to my believing in God, you should be able to answer that yourself. Why do I believe in God, Tim the plumber?

1, This is the track you started;

Originally Posted by Angel View Post
No, but at any rate it's my reason, not the presumptive atheistic reason attributed to me.

Having a discussion with you is very odd.

2, You have just told us that you ubelieve in God because you have been born into this society which has christianity as its' principal religion. I expect that to be the case.

Which begs the question of what evidence did the god you do believe in have that was more credible than Odin?
One of the stronger evidences for the Christian God for me is my personal experience of him (mainly through prayer). I also find the gospel accounts to be credible. I find the universe itself (and the vastness and complexity of it) to be convincing evidence for God.

One of the stronger evidences for the Christian God for me is my personal experience of him (mainly through prayer). I also find the gospel accounts to be credible. I find the universe itself (and the vastness and complexity of it) to be convincing evidence for God.

OK, but;

One of the stronger evidences for the Christian God for me is my personal experience of him (mainly through prayer).

Various religions have far stronger committment levels, some have sacrificed their first born sons for example. As an outsider this seems to be evidence that the feeling you have are lesser than theirs, which we both agree are false, or at least not real world.

I also find the gospel accounts to be credible.

Can't help but feel that you have been reading them with a very biased outlook.

I find the universe itself (and the vastness and complexity of it) to be convincing evidence for God.

Not Odin then.....

1, This is the track you started;

Having a discussion with you is very odd.

2, You have just told us that you ubelieve in God because you have been born into this society which has christianity as its' principal religion. I expect that to be the case.
No, I told you that belief in this or that conception of God is relative to "cultural hegemony."
And for the record, you started us on this track with your question about Odin. Do I really need to go back and quote our exchanges?

Various religions have far stronger committment levels, some have sacrificed their first born sons for example. As an outsider this seems to be evidence that the feeling you have are lesser than theirs, which we both agree are false, or at least not real world.
And you would be perfectly rational to come to that conclusion, given that evidence.

Can't help but feel that you have been reading them with a very biased outlook.
I think this shows your bias more than mine...

Not Odin then.....
Correct.

No, I told you that belief in this or that conception of God is relative to "cultural hegemony."
And for the record, you started us on this track with your question about Odin. Do I really need to go back and quote our exchanges?

So that would be;

OK, we agree on that.

Given that various religions over the years have stonned people to death, burnt them and deliberately sacrificed them in hideous ways would you say that the beliefs of those religions were as valid as your own within their cultures?

And can you see why I think they are all equally not valid?

So that would be;

OK, we agree on that.

Given that various religions over the years have stonned people to death, burnt them and deliberately sacrificed them in hideous ways would you say that the beliefs of those religions were as valid as your own within their cultures?

And can you see why I think they are all equally not valid?
You continue to misrepresent what I say. A reading deficiency? Perhaps. More likely bad faith.
Either way, it's that time again, Tim the plumber.
Time for "Tim the plumber" to go jump in the lake.
Godspeed.

You continue to misrepresent what I say. A reading deficiency? Perhaps. More likely bad faith.
Godspeed.

Originally Posted by Angel View Post

So if it is not that you are in the society that has the christian religion as its' default religion that is the reason you believe in it, what is the reason?

I don't get any understanding of "cultural hegemony" other than that. You will have to explain what that is in order for me to understand you.

Godspeed.

Let it go, Angel. Some people just like to hate; be they "Christians" or atheists. The best way to spot them, IMO, is when they always post angry, hateful or just highly biased posts. There is no common ground with people like that. It's worse than trying to get Democrats and Republicans to pass a bipartisan bill. Such people are usually in some kind of pain, which is why they are lashing out, but there is nothing to be done for them. Let'em go.

He's not worth it Terry!!!

Let it go, Angel. Some people just like to hate; be they "Christians" or atheists. The best way to spot them, IMO, is when they always post angry, hateful or just highly biased posts. There is no common ground with people like that. It's worse than trying to get Democrats and Republicans to pass a bipartisan bill. Such people are usually in some kind of pain, which is why they are lashing out, but there is nothing to be done for them. Let'em go.

Yeah, such hate!

Asking what cultural hegemony means! It is obvious!

(It means "I am throwing in a big word that is supposed to make you run away as you are not expected to understand it. When you clearly do understand it I will tell you that you are hate filled.")

[COLOR="#fff33cc"]Yeah, such hate!

Asking what cultural hegemony means! It is obvious!

(It means "I am throwing in a big word that is supposed to make you run away as you are not expected to understand it. When you clearly do understand it I will tell you that you are hate filled.")[/COLOR]
Feel better? LOL

Back
Top Bottom