• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are the benefits of guns?

There are plenty of accidental shootings. Vehicle insurance doesn't cover intentional damage either.

Did you miss the part about homeowners insurance covering accidents? My homeowners covers my guns and I didn't even have to tell my insurance company that I own any. With 300 million guns and under 500 unintentional deaths per year, the risk is extremely low.

No it's not. It is already on the books and has been since 1934. You can't make up your own facts.

Just because it's on the books doesn't make it Constitutional.

There are plenty of accidental shootings. Vehicle insurance doesn't cover intentional damage either.

Just as there are plenty of accidents resulting in a hospital stay from pedestrians using a cell phone.
Vehicle insurance DOES cover intentional damage done to your car by someone else.

No it's not. It is already on the books and has been since 1934. You can't make up your own facts.

Irrelevant. It's unconstitutional. The federal government does not have the authority to infringe on the right to bear arms.

Irrelevant. It's unconstitutional. The federal government does not have the authority to infringe on the right to bear arms.

Tell that to the Branch Davidians. If Congress passes a law and the Supreme Court does not strike it down it's Constitutional by definition. Saying it isn't is just making up your own facts.

Tell that to the Branch Davidians. If Congress passes a law and the Supreme Court does not strike it down it's Constitutional by definition. Saying it isn't is just making up your own facts.

Make an argument that federal gun control such as the 1934 NFA is properly constitutional.

so was slavery and bans against inter-race marriages

Those required an amendment to the Constitution and a Supreme Court decision to change. SCOTUS has upheld firearms regulations repeatedly. Even Joseph Scalia stated that rights defined in the constitution are not unlimited.

Those required an amendment to the Constitution and a Supreme Court decision to change. SCOTUS has upheld firearms regulations repeatedly. Even Joseph Scalia stated that rights defined in the constitution are not unlimited.

You do realize that in Heller SCOTUS overturned a gun ownership restriction. Likewise in McDonald and Caetano. Other than Miller, which was based on a flawed understanding of what is useful to a militia, SCOTUS has not repeatedly upheld firearms regulations.

They have stated that firearms "in common use for lawful purposes" and "having a reasonable relationship to the preservation and efficiency to a well-regulated militia" are protected.

You do realize that in Heller SCOTUS overturned a gun ownership restriction. Likewise in McDonald and Caetano. Other than Miller, which was based on a flawed understanding of what is useful to a militia, SCOTUS has not repeatedly upheld firearms regulations.

They have stated that firearms "in common use for lawful purposes" and "having a reasonable relationship to the preservation and efficiency to a well-regulated militia" are protected.

Clearly they have since the laws are still on the books. In the case of Heller, the Federal firearms act was not overturned but a local law within the District of Columbia was overturned.

The Caetano case overturned a state law involving stun guns. It also did not overturn the Federal Firearms Act.

Clearly they have since the laws are still on the books. In the case of Heller, the Federal firearms act was not overturned but a local law within the District of Columbia was overturned.

The Caetano case overturned a state law involving stun guns. It also did not overturn the Federal Firearms Act.

What is the "Federal Firearms Act"?

Tell that to the Branch Davidians.
They already knew. They were attacked unlawfully. They burned children alive doing it.
If Congress passes a law and the Supreme Court does not strike it down it's Constitutional by definition.
WRONG. The Supreme Court does not have authority to change or interpret the Constitution of the United States or any State constitution.
Saying it isn't is just making up your own facts.
Inversion fallacy.

The only fact under discussion (you might want to learn what a 'fact' really means) is the Constitution of the United States.

The Supreme Court does not have authority to change or interpret the Constitution.

Repetitive argument fallacy. You've already made this argument and it was already answered.

Irrelevant. Stun guns are an 'arm'. They are protected by the Constitution as well. No court has the authority to change the Constitution. Congress does not have authority to change the Constitution.

Irrelevant. Stun guns are an 'arm'. They are protected by the Constitution as well. No court has the authority to change the Constitution. Congress does not have authority to change the Constitution.

So your argument is that everyone gets to interpret the Constitution as they like and no one has any authority?

What benefits would you think such a sign will generate ?

For whom? You or the robber who's going to steal your **** or put a bullet between your eyes while you're raising your arm with your crowbar?

So your argument is that everyone gets to interpret the Constitution as they like and no one has any authority?

Only the States have authority over the Constitution of the United States. They own it. They ordain it.

The biggest benefit for me in the past was hunting. I use to hunt a lot when I was younger and we had a deep freezer full of meat throughout the year and saved A LOT of money regarding groceries. I've seen people make the argument for having check in stations have firearms available to rent, but that's spending way more money that one needs to over their lifetime.

For others, the benefit of having a gun is protection. There was a story awhile back about some guy that beat a door down and tried to enter the home even with the woman informing the person she had a gun and children inside. I'd say at that point its pretty beneficial as well.

WRONG. The Supreme Court does not have authority to change or interpret the Constitution of the United States or any State constitution.

Sure they do. Like any other government entity, they gave that power to themselves (Marbury vs. Madison 1803).

Back
Top Bottom