• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Americans Think of their States and Localities

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't know how often I'll be posting polls here, most polls either cover the entire nation, are focused on elections, or both. Still, this one doesn't really fit any of my other poll threads, so here's a look at what Texan Likely Voters want for Texas.

A new telephone and online survey by Rasmussen Reports and NumbersUSA finds that only 13% of Likely Texas voters want their state’s population to continue to grow rapidly, while 46% want the population to grow more slowly. Twenty-four percent (24%) want the Texas population to stay about the same size and 13% want the state’s population to become smaller. Nearly half (46%) of Texas voters want local and state governments in Texas to make it more difficult for people to move to Texas from other states by restricting development, while 57% favor reducing immigration.

The state I live in is really the state of confusion. Not kidding. Want to know what's really wrong about Florida,
beside corruption, piss-poor management, slowest road building/fixing in the lower 48, and other depressing subjects?
I'll just mention 2-3 things. Lot of people who move here are from the lower-ranking states. They voted in THEIR past states
to completely turn their state into low-ranking health care..schools..roads, corruption and (of course) more.
NOW, guess who they vote for now that they have move here? Yep, the same God-Damn type of dumb-ass mealy-mouth politicians
that think unlimited growth is wonderful for everybody....no matter if it destroys most of the environment or animals and water...etc.
And the Tourists (Not trashing them) The problem is..They don't give a shit. They come down here ...with every right that they should.
But..again..do they ever care about Florida/animals/water...what's going to happen to Florida? No..of course not.
They don't vote here...their families are not here...most of their friends are not here...in short..They have no hats in the ring.
Again, I'm not trashing them...When I use to go to Washington state to do some mountain climbing, I wasn't all that concerned about
Washington state so much.
What's happened here in Florida though is Unregulated Growth. THE REGULATED GROWTH STUFF WAS IN THE BOOKS.
But, it's being changed by the developers and developers..and the devolopers..Heh..heh...(By the Developers money going into the politicians pockets.)
Strange how that works.
In closing> Took a trip last week to St. Petersburg. 54 miles. Took me 1 hour 49 minutes. Bumper to bumper traffic.
Was almost that bad coming the 54 miles back.
Not moving but do go back to Australia every so often for a few weeks. The plane ride is a joy....if your ass loves to scream after 17 hours. :) :)

Lot of people who move here are from the lower-ranking states. They voted in THEIR past states
to completely turn their state into low-ranking health care..schools..roads, corruption and (of course) more.
NOW, guess who they vote for now that they have move here?
That could help explain why so many Texan likely voters want their state population growth to slow down or stop--voters escaping from Blue states moving to Texas and voting for the same policies that caused the conditions they're escaping from. ;) Of course, another large part could be the increased taxes needed for the infrastructure required to support them.... :unsure:

I don't know how often I'll be posting polls here, most polls either cover the entire nation, are focused on elections, or both. Still, this one doesn't really fit any of my other poll threads, so here's a look at what Texan Likely Voters want for Texas.

Righties in Texas are skeered that they're going to go blue someday soon. I hope that happens!

Righties in Texas are skeered that they're going to go blue someday soon. I hope that happens!

This goes to show you how a lack of morals comes in handy to the corrupt minded.

Hate is all you have. Why do you hate America?

Why do you think you are so much better than everyone else?

Alaska has been losing population since 2016.
  • The population of Alaska in 2022 was 733,583, a 0.08% decline from 2021.
  • The population of Alaska in 2021 was 734,182, a 0.17% increase from 2020.
  • The population of Alaska in 2020 was 732,923, a 0.09% decline from 2019.
  • The population of Alaska in 2019 was 733,603, a 0.41% decline from 2018.
  • The population of Alaska in 2018 was 736,624, a 0.59% decline from 2017.
  • The population of Alaska in 2017 was 740,983, a 0.21% decline from 2016.
Yet the number of voters continues to magically increase. In 2022 there were more ballots issued than actually live in the State by 6%. In 2020 there were more ballots issued than actually live in the State by 13%. Ballots also do not need to be signed, or even contain the name of the voter, and they are still counted as valid. Alaska has one of the most corrupt governments in the nation.

Alaska's population for the last 40+ years has been driven by oil development. When Prudhoe Bay was developed in 1977 Alaska's population increased rapidly, and it continued to increase throughout the 1980s as more and more oil jobs became available. I moved to Alaska from California in 1991 and the very first job I got was with the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company that manages the 850 mile trans-Alaska pipeline.

The oil fields around Prudhoe Bay reached their peak in 1989 with more than 2.1 million barrels per day. It has been declining ever since. Currently the pipeline manages ~448,000 barrels per day. There were a total of twelve pump stations along the pipeline route when it was at its peak, but is now down to just four working pump stations. There are fewer and fewer oil jobs. Oil jobs only account for 10% of Alaska's economy, but they are the best paying jobs.

The next largest (by income) employer is the fishing industry, and things have not been going well for them in recent years. A couple of large of crab fisheries have been closed, and while the salmon runs appear to be increasing, the prices for salmon have not increased appropriately. In grocery stores you might pay $20/pound for Sockeye salmon, but those who actually catch the salmon are only being paid ~$1 per pound.

There is a brief spurt in jobs at the beginning of each season, as the fishing industry hires a number of college age people to process the salmon, but the number of jobs decline as the season progresses. A lot also depends on the number of returning salmon. This year there is a decline in four species of salmon, but the Sockeye (Reds) are increasing. It varies every year, with some years better than others.

I suspect that when Biden leaves office and the 10-02 Area in ANWR is eventually developed, more oil jobs will become available and Alaska's population will begin increasing again. Based on past closures, I do not expect some of these crab fisheries that were closed to be opened again any time soon. Which will eventually reduce the number of fishing jobs in the State.

On the plus side, the number of farms in Alaska has more than doubled in the last 30 years thanks to a warming climate. As the permafrost melts more arable land becomes available. We are still not able to feed our population and have to continue to import the bulk of our food, but now we are importing less. Which is a good thing.

There are lots of issues with Alaska, particularly politically, but it is still a great State to live in. If you can get past the extreme cost of living. Anchorage, for example, has the same cost of living as Boston, MA, at 127% and Anchorage has the seventh highest cost of living in the State. Kodiak has the highest cost of living at 155%.

I was born and raised in California, but also lived in Nebraska, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Okinawa and Germany. Moving to Alaska was the best move I have ever made. Even considering that I have experienced three 7.9 magnitude earthquakes and been covered in ash by two volcanic eruptions in the last 32 years I have lived in Alaska.

On the plus side, the number of farms in Alaska has more than doubled in the last 30 years thanks to a warming climate. As the permafrost melts more arable land becomes available. We are still not able to feed our population and have to continue to import the bulk of our food, but now we are importing less. Which is a good thing.
One problem I have with the Global Warming activists is the lack of nuance in their predictions of the future, warming global temperatures simply isn't bad for everyone. Alaska isn't the only place with improving farmland, so is Russia (and if the studies I've seen on the effects of higher CO2 levels on plant growth and health, we'd see the same in drier places). And think of what even a seasonal ice-free sea passage across the north of Canada and/or Russia could do for shipping! The last time we had a major warm period was during the High Middle Ages, when Europe had some of the most regular pleasant climate in our history ... and drought took down the Anasazi culture of the (future) US Southwest.

There are lots of issues with Alaska, particularly politically, but it is still a great State to live in. If you can get past the extreme cost of living. Anchorage, for example, has the same cost of living as Boston, MA, at 127% and Anchorage has the seventh highest cost of living in the State. Kodiak has the highest cost of living at 155%.

I was born and raised in California, but also lived in Nebraska, Minnesota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Okinawa and Germany. Moving to Alaska was the best move I have ever made. Even considering that I have experienced three 7.9 magnitude earthquakes and been covered in ash by two volcanic eruptions in the last 32 years I have lived in Alaska.
One expression I've heard about Alaska is that it is a state for young people, due to the extreme climate. I personally could never live there, I can handle extreme heat a lot better than extreme cold. Utah is my state, and even then the southwest corner of when it comes to living and not just visiting. That's where I'm going to retire.

Not too bad here in North Carolina. Like everywhere else, it has its advantages and disadvantages, but a pretty good State overall. I live in a rural county on the border between the Piedmont and Appalachian Mountains (on the mountain side). Not too much I would say on the negative side about this county or the nearby localities. In fact, Mount Airy is quite the success story. It maintains a vibrant downtown and culture, while so other many small southern towns and cities are dying.

Yes. I live in the country, while I love where I live I am also getting peeved at the number of subdivisions and shopping centers replacing farmers fields and woods. I can certainly sympathize with Texas voters. I live 25 miles south of Atlanta and now feel like my once quiet rural area has been replaced by us becoming a suburb of Atlanta. Time to move.

I like it in my locality but **** my state has become a red cesspit right out from underneath me. Lots of politicians here dont care about the cruelty they inflict.

One problem I have with the Global Warming activists is the lack of nuance in their predictions of the future, warming global temperatures simply isn't bad for everyone. Alaska isn't the only place with improving farmland, so is Russia (and if the studies I've seen on the effects of higher CO2 levels on plant growth and health, we'd see the same in drier places). And think of what even a seasonal ice-free sea passage across the north of Canada and/or Russia could do for shipping! The last time we had a major warm period was during the High Middle Ages, when Europe had some of the most regular pleasant climate in our history ... and drought took down the Anasazi culture of the (future) US Southwest.
We may one day reach a point where the northwest passage becomes ice-free, but that is still several years away from happening. Unfortunately, like all interglacial periods, this one will also come to an end and we will once again be faced with 20% to 25% of the northern hemisphere being covered in ice. Interglacial periods only last between 5,000 and 25,000 years, and we are currently 11,700 years into the Holocene Interglacial period.

I wouldn't worry about this interglacial period ending anytime soon. The overwhelming majority of the world's glaciers would be advancing instead of receding if this interglacial period was ending.

One expression I've heard about Alaska is that it is a state for young people, due to the extreme climate. I personally could never live there, I can handle extreme heat a lot better than extreme cold. Utah is my state, and even then the southwest corner of when it comes to living and not just visiting. That's where I'm going to retire.
Alaska is a very big State, covering 663,268 square miles (1,717,856 sq. km.). Which means that it has a wide variety of weather. We have everything from deserts, like that found in the
Great Kobuk Sand Dunes National Park, to a temperate rain forest, like that found in the Tongass National Forest. The trick is finding the right location for you.

Where I live in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley the Winter temperatures are no worse than Omaha, NE, although I do tend to get more snow. I get about the same annual precipitation as Los Angeles, CA, ~14" annually with about half that in the form of snow. If you want the extreme cold and extreme heat, then you need to live in the interior of the State. Fairbanks, Delta Junction, Tok, and similar locations are where you will find -60°F Winter temperatures and +100°F Summer temperatures. I prefer a more mild climate, where my Winters are not too cold and my Summers are not too hot.

Last edited:
Alaska has been losing population since 2016.
  • The population of Alaska in 2022 was 733,583, a 0.08% decline from 2021.
  • The population of Alaska in 2021 was 734,182, a 0.17% increase from 2020.
  • The population of Alaska in 2020 was 732,923, a 0.09% decline from 2019.
  • The population of Alaska in 2019 was 733,603, a 0.41% decline from 2018.
  • The population of Alaska in 2018 was 736,624, a 0.59% decline from 2017.
  • The population of Alaska in 2017 was 740,983, a 0.21% decline from 2016.
Yet the number of voters continues to magically increase. In 2022 there were more ballots issued than actually live in the State by 6%. In 2020 there were more ballots issued than actually live in the State by 13%. Ballots also do not need to be signed, or even contain the name of the voter, and they are still counted as valid. Alaska has one of the most corrupt governments in the nation.

Alaska's population for the last 40+ years has been driven by oil development. When Prudhoe Bay was developed in 1977 Alaska's population increased rapidly, and it continued to increase throughout the 1980s as more and more oil jobs became available. I moved to Alaska from California in 1991 and the very first job I got was with the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company that manages the 850 mile trans-Alaska pipeline.

The oil fields around Prudhoe Bay reached their peak in 1989 with more than 2.1 million barrels per day. It has been declining ever since. Currently the pipeline manages ~448,000 barrels per day. There were a total of twelve pump stations along the pipeline route when it was at its peak, but is now down to just four working pump stations. There are fewer and fewer oil jobs. Oil jobs only account for 10% of Alaska's economy, but they are the best paying jobs.

The next largest (by income) employer is the fishing industry, and things have not been going well for them in recent years. A couple of large of crab fisheries have been closed, and while the salmon runs appear to be increasing, the prices for salmon have not increased appropriately. In grocery stores you might pay $20/pound for Sockeye salmon, but those who actually catch the salmon are only being paid ~$1 per pound.

There is a brief spurt in jobs at the beginning of each season, as the fishing industry hires a number of college age people to process the salmon, but the number of jobs decline as the season progresses. A lot also depends on the number of returning salmon. This year there is a decline in four species of salmon, but the Sockeye (Reds) are increasing. It varies every year, with some years better than others.

I suspect that when Biden leaves office and the 10-02 Area in ANWR is eventually developed, more oil jobs will become available and Alaska's population will begin increasing again. Based on past closures, I do not expect some of these crab fisheries that were closed to be opened again any time soon. Which will eventually reduce the number of fishing jobs in the State.

I know why your cost of living sucks, it's the logistics plain and simple. Almost all of it comes through Seattle ports. You have basically 1 major trucking logistics company doing logistics going into and through out Alaska and all the ships must be Jones act which jacks importation prices. Not much competition in the logistics market.

I know why your cost of living sucks, it's the logistics plain and simple. Almost all of it comes through Seattle ports. You have basically 1 major trucking logistics company doing logistics going into and through out Alaska and all the ships must be Jones act which jacks importation prices. Not much competition in the logistics market.
Very true. It also does not help having to ship through the hostile waters of Canada. Alaskans have not forgotten the last time Canadian terrorists took Alaskan citizens hostage aboard the Malaspina ferry on July 20, 1997. It required President Clinton to order a US Coast Guard Cutter to Prince Rupert in order free the hostages, which the BC government supported.

Prince Rupert - July 20, 1997.jpg

Every year Alaska confiscates Canadian fishing vessels illegally fishing in Alaskan waters.

We have a very different view of our terrorist sponsoring neighbors in Alaska than you lower-48ers.

Where I live in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley the Winter temperatures are no worse than Omaha, NE, although I do tend to get more snow.
I lived four of my grade-school years at Omaha, I wouldn't consider even more snow than I enjoyed at the time to be a plus. (Enjoyed because hey, I was a kid, snow is fun! As an adult it's a very different story.) Still, a point.

I lived four of my grade-school years at Omaha, I wouldn't consider even more snow than I enjoyed at the time to be a plus. (Enjoyed because hey, I was a kid, snow is fun! As an adult it's a very different story.) Still, a point.
I lived in Fremont, NE, during the late-1960s and early 1970s. I went to Metro. Tech. in Omaha for a couple of years.

We got just over 100" of snow this Winter, which is a bit more than normal. Typically we are in the 70" to 80" range for a Winter's total snowfall. We have had Winters with half that snow, but those are also unusual.

My Summers are much nicer than Omaha, NE.

First, I don't have to worry about tornadoes or those nasty hail storms. I much rather deal with earthquakes and active volcanoes than I would tornadoes. I've already experienced three magnitude 7.9 earthquakes and have been covered in ash by two volcanic eruptions since moving to Alaska, and they were still better than experiencing an F1 tornado. Thankfully, I missed out on the F5 that tore through Omaha in 1975, I was stationed with the Marine Corps in California at the time. I really hate tornadoes, more than any other natural disaster.

Second, since I'm only ~5 miles from the coast my Summer temperatures very rarely get warmer than 80°F. Typically they are in the 60°F to 70°F range, which I consider to be comfortable. Once every few years it might get warm enough were you can hear thunder in the distance, but it is so rare that you notice it when it happens.

The only real downside to my proximity to the coast is that ~200 of my 365 days each year are covered by clouds. It may be nice at keeping the temperatures warmer during the Winter, but they block the view of the northern lights. Winter is when I get 20+ hours of night every day, and I cannot enjoy the stars or the northern lights most of the time. :(

Last edited:
Maybe Texas would be more receptive to development and population growth if they didn't handle it so badly. Most of the big cities in Texas just sprawl forever. You can drive for an hour across Houston and never see anything resembling an actual city. Just a sea of parking lots, highways, and Olive Gardens. 😞

I like Austin though, especially Soco and Downtown. It's more of a proper city, and it's walkable/bikable. I've lived there before and probably will live there again at some point.

Maybe Texas would be more receptive to development and population growth if they didn't handle it so badly. Most of the big cities in Texas just sprawl forever. You can drive for an hour across Houston and never see anything resembling an actual city. Just a sea of parking lots, highways, and Olive Gardens. 😞

I like Austin though, especially Soco and Downtown. It's more of a proper city, and it's walkable/bikable. I've lived there before and probably will live there again at some point.

Unfortunately, Texas is the prime example of that bane of America, the American style suburb. Consumes excessive land prevents a walkable or bikeable lifestyle in most cases.

Unfortunately, Texas is the prime example of that bane of America, the American style suburb. Consumes excessive land prevents a walkable or bikeable lifestyle in most cases.
Yup. Texas cities could be so much nicer (and hold more people) if they had a dense core, instead of sprawling forever. That's one thing I don't like about the south, in general. Outside of Miami and certain parts of Austin and NOLA, urban planning just sucks.

California's got problems, but I find it difficult to think I'd rather live somewhere else.
30 minutes from a major urban center
45 minutes from a swimmable ocean beach
3 hours from a snow ski resort
45 minutes from a water ski area
fresh fruits and vegetables from in state producers
a solid economy
a population that is generally empathetic to those that have struggles

Second, since I'm only ~5 miles from the coast my Summer temperatures very rarely get warmer than 80°F. Typically they are in the 60°F to 70°F range, which I consider to be comfortable.
I've lived in southern Utah and Las Vegas long enough that temperatures in the 60°F to 70°F range is uncomfortably cool.

I've lived in southern Utah and Las Vegas long enough that temperatures in the 60°F to 70°F range is uncomfortably cool.

I grew up in Pennsylvania. Living here in North Carolina is probably about as far south as I would want to go.

I don't mind cold at all. I could not deal with extended muggy summers.

This location on the Appalachian ridge overlooking the piedmont is nice. High enough elevation to avoid the worst humidity of summer.

Get a few days each year when the dew reaches an uncomfortable level, but usually during summer the dew point remains at least at a tolerable level. (mid-60's or lower)

Most of the year, it is in the mid-50's or lower, which is nice.

I could not deal with Florida, where you have dew points above 72 degrees for at least 5 months straight, sometimes even into the low 80's.

A new telephone and online survey by Rasmussen Reports and Real Impact finds that 82% of California Likely Voters disagree with the statement, “A person loses their parental rights when a child enters public school,” including 69% who Strongly Disagree. Only 12% think parental rights are lost when children enter public school. Eighty-four percent (84%) of California voters would support a local law that required parents to be notified of any major change in a child’s physical, mental, or emotional health or academic performance, including 66% who would Strongly Support such a law. Only 12% would oppose a law requiring parental notification. If such a law included notifying parents of a child identifying, requesting to identify, or being treated as a gender that doesn’t align with their biological sex, 62% of California voters would be more likely to support it, including 46% who would be Much More Likely to support the parental notification law. Twenty-seven percent (27%) would be less likely to support it.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 18% of American Adults would rather live in Florida if they could move to any other state they wanted. Fourteen percent (14%) would prefer California, 12% pick Texas and eight percent (8%) would choose New York. Just six percent (6%) say they’d rather live in Pennsylvania and only four percent (4%) pick Illinois. Thirty-one percent (31%) said they would choose to live in some state other than the six named, which are the most populous U.S. states. Florida was also the favorite of 18% in last July’s survey. Residents of Texas are most attached to their state, while Pennsylvanians are most eager to live somewhere else. Seventy percent (70%) of survey respondents who currently live in Texas say they’d still live in the Lone Star State, even if they could move to any other state they wanted. Sixty-four percent (64%) of Californians and 52% of Floridians feel the same about their own states. However, just 30% of Pennsylvania residents would choose to stay in the Keystone State if they had the chance to move to another state.

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, including graduating Penn State University. I still maintain a residence in northeast PA. I now live in North Carolina. I can't say a thing bad about the geography, climate or people of PA. The government, State and local, leave something to be desired. But, overall, I enjoyed PA. Just prefer my new State to spend my later years.

My guess is the severe winters drive PAs negative rating.

So what do Utahns think of nuclear power?

A majority of Utah residents are on board with a nuclear power plant in Utah, with 65% who say they are in support, compared to 31% who are opposed and another 4% who have yet to make up their mind.

A new Deseret News/Hinckley Institute poll by Dan Jones & Associates found residents are hungry for a new form of base load power, with 36% strongly in favor and 29% somewhat in favor. The poll of 801 registered voters was conducted June 26-July 4 and has a margin of error rate of plus or minus 3.46%.

Somewhat opposed residents came in at 12%, while 19% are strongly opposed....

The poll results showed universal support for a nuclear power plant in Utah from those ages 18-24, with 0% opposed. As it broke down, 52% strongly are in support of a nuclear power plant, while 40% are somewhat supportive. The numbers in opposition climbed as those polled were older, with those 57 and up in strong support at 31% and 30% somewhat in favor.

Back
Top Bottom